Canadians travelling out of country

lyntony

Does anyone know exactly how long Canadians can travel out of the County without losing Government benefits?

We will be cruising for most of October and then return to Canada for a week, after which time we will drive to Florida for 6 months. In that 6 month period, we plan to fly home twice for a few days at a time to see our kids. We were told once that it is 7 months, but also told that it is 6 months.

When we do come home for a few days, does the 6-month period start over again.

I can find nothing on the Government web sight to answer my question.

Thanks so much.

You can stay in the US six months per calendar year OR per visit, whichever comes first. It does not reset every time you enter or exit.

If you are asking about maintaining your health benefits, you must reside in Ontario at least 153 days in any 12 month period:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

For OHIP eligibility (I am reading this off of my renewal declaration) you need to (in theory) maintain Ontario as your primary place of residence and be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12 month period.

For OAS/CPP which is administered by the Federal Government give Service Canada a call or call 1-800-OCANADA tomorrow (today is Simcoe Day and gov't is closed).

Does anyone know exactly how long Canadians can travel out of the County without losing Government benefits?

We will be cruising for most of October and then return to Canada for a week, after which time we will drive to Florida for 6 months. In that 6 month period, we plan to fly home twice for a few days at a time to see our kids. We were told once that it is 7 months, but also told that it is 6 months.

When we do come home for a few days, does the 6-month period start over again.

I can find nothing on the Government web sight to answer my question.

Thanks so much.

Which benefits are you talking about? Federal or Provincial?

For Canada Pension Plan benefits there is no residence requirement

For Old Age Security and the Guaranteed Income Supplement please refer to the following from the Service Canada website.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/isp/pub/oas/oas.shtml#one #12

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/isp/pub/oas/gismain.shtml#c #12

Hope that this helps!!!

As a general rule, you should be physically present in Canada for 6 months as some have already mentioned here. That means you can be out of the country for 6 months without losing your provincial health benefits. However, you can extend this period if you intend to travel longer. My friend is going on a trip around the world for about 7 month. She told me that she had to call OHIP and ask for an extension. They gave her one more month and that’s how she ended up planning a 7-month trip. I hope this answers your question.

Chelsea

Thanks so much for all the information.

I just spent 5 hours (well, almost) on the phone, and this is what I am told.

for CPP and Old Age, it doesn't matter how long you are out of the County. Nevertheless, if you get a Supplement, then there might be a problem (we don't, so I didn't ask).

Then I spoke with OHIP, and the girl there said we can be out of the County for 7 months, no problem.

Just to let you know

-Lyndee

There are two different lengths of time you should be aware of for travel outside of the country--one is for income tax purposes and the other is for Medicare purposes. The 6 months that someone mentioned in an earlier posting is for Medicare benefits, although that applies to out of province and not of Canada. The income tax requirements are much more stringent over a longer period of time than one year, but not sure if that was what you were asking about or not--suspect not and it depends on your own situation what the income tax effects are. If you are interested in that, let me know and I can post what they are in general and you can follow up with your own income tax advisor if they apply to you.

Archived