Cameras and Pictures

ineedacruise

I am just curious what types of cameras you all use and how many picures you come home with?

I have a Nikon Cool Pix digital camera that I bought last year for my Bermuda cruise and I love it. It is easy to use and takes great pictures.

I took 326 pictures on my Bermuda cruise last year and would have taken more but I ran out of memory space. I am going to find a new mega card on ebay before I leave again. I want to be prepared for anything. I am also thinking about bringing along the laptop so I can download and check out the pictures as I go.

I also have two batteries so I always have a fully charged one ready to go.

My daughter takes along my old panoramic camera which is great to take land shots and she is planning on bringing my old video camera so she can make a movie of the VOS for her friends to see what cruising is about.

I use to bring a 35mm with several lenses back in the old days. Now I use a Canon A70 digital. The number of pics depends on the cruise. I have 2 512 MB cards so I never run out. I cannot remember ever having to use the second one.

I also use the Nikon Cool Pix. It is my favorite camera ever. Takes fabulous shots and is so easy to use. It is so small and compact. Easy to store. I love the museum scene feature. I took pictures of the Mona Lisa at the Louve without a flash and they came out great. No one else could take pictures because their cameras needed to flash and flash is not allowed in any museum. I have 2 - 256 mg cards, and two batteries. Last year in Paris I took 750 pictures in 5 days and I only had 2 pics come out bad and that's because my hand was shaking.

We have a Sony DSC T-1. We only have 2 256 cards but we bring along the laptop for e-mails, journaling, playing DVD's en-route and downloading the photos and burning onto a CD.

We took 350 photos on our recent first cruise.

We also have a Sony "Marine Pack" for the camera which is good to 40 meters underwater, so no worries about the camera getting wet or full of sand when on the beach.

I have a Nikon 5700 and wouldn't dream of going back to film. I shoot at max megapixels, so I get around 450 photos on a 1 GB card. On a 10-12 cruise I'll probably take 700 photos. One of the great things I like about digital is the ability to take panoramas. In the Med last year it was great to be able to capture a scene with 3-5 photos and then stitch them together.

I use a Nikon Cool Pix 3100 and love it! It is my 3rd digi camera and my favorite one. I have a 256mb card along with the much smaller capacity card it came with and have not run out of memory yet. Most digis are tough on batteries, so I always have a spare one when we travel. It takes great photos!

I used to take my video camera but dont any more. I get too busy that I forget to film the going ons. On the VOyager I tookless then 20 minutes the whole week.

A suggestion for those cameras is a good insulated bag- moving it from the cold of your cabin or the public rooms out into the heat plays havoc with the condesnsation level.

This time the only camera coming is my Canon Power shot

I have a collection of cameras...Pentax ME Super SLR (film), Canon EOS-IX SLR (film), Canon S100 Digital Elph (2MP digital), Sony DSC-U20 (2MP digital), and Sony DSC-F717 (5MP digital). I also have a Sony Mini-DV camcorder.

Generally, I bring one film camera, and two digital cams with me when I cruise. Every once in a while I'll bring the camcorder too.

The Canon SLR is a solid, modern, and flexible film camera and I've got a couple of lenses to select from to get the shots I want. I mostly use the film camera when I am not walking around alot, not going on adventure excursions, and have time and patience to bring the bag of lenses with me and carefully set up a nice shot. I often use only 1 or 2 rolls of film a cruise.

The Sony U20 has mostly displaced the Canon Elph as the anywhere, anytime camera, mainly because it is smaller, lighter, and more portable. This is a VERY small camera, about the size of a Zippo lighter, so it can be hanging out unnoticed in a pocket or hanging around my neck like a necklace. The Elph is still fairly small, but I find myself using it more when I am around my hometown and going to an event where I may or may not need a camera...it has a better flash and better night performance than the U20, so if size isn't the most important priority, it's a good choice. Otherwise the ultra-convenient U20 wins.

The Sony F717 is my more serious digital, and my primary camera. It has a very large diameter lens with excellent optics, a 5x optical zoom to give me some flexibility when shooting, full manual control capabilities for setting my own ISO, shutter, aperature, metering mode, focal mode, white balance, and more...or can just be set to 'auto'. It has a massive camcorder battery which can tell you the minutes left on charge, and lasts all day and then some (usually I can go 400+ shots without a problem, even using flash...it actually IS the same battery as my camcorder!). It has a swivel body so the lens and LCD/viewfinder can be swiveled separately to shoot overhead or from the hip...has both an electronic viewfinder and an LCD, and focuses using an excellent laser hologram system as opposed to a focus light, so it achieves perfect focus in 0 light.

I am looking to purchase a new camera to replace my U20...the little baby cam has been wonderful, and I want another just as small. I've got my eyes on the Sony L1, which is roughly the same size, but adds a 3x optical zoom (the U20 is a fixed lens), 4MP instead of 2MP, much more adjustment and control, shoots ultra-fast with no shutter lag, and sells around $250.

Geeze, no one uses what I use: disposables! :eek:

I did a few years ago. 17 to be exact. My brother in law, Sonny took us on a fantastic road trip out west. Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and of course , Texas. I shot with the disposable while my husband shot with our Nikon.

It was fun...........next trip heading to ALASKA with a new DIGITAL and the old standby, Nikon Film Camera.

Archived