Shipping luggage from Civitavecchia

AnitaJane&RB

After our cruise ends in Civitavecchia we're going to travel around northern Italy for a week and do not want to lug all our luggage with us. Can anyone recommend a company that will meet us at the dock, pick up one or two pieces of luggage & ship it back to the US. We are planning on renting a car from either Avis or Hertz for a few days and hope they will deliver the car to us at the dock.

Have you checked with your cruise line to see if they offer this service? As the previous poster said, it is extremely expensive to ship to or from Italy.

Will you be flying home from Rome (FCO)? If so, you might want to drive there first and leave your luggage at the airport left luggage office. It may be a little out of your way, but at least you won't need to deal with it during the land portion of your trip.

If you are headed in a different direction, there are other left luggage places we may be able to steer you towards.

Last year we met a couple on a lengthy cruise (including transatlantic) who looked into shipping their luggage home from Europe. In the end they opted to just leave a lot of their clothes on the ship (they donated the stuff to the ship) rather then pay the cost of shipping.

Hank

I had the same thought a few years ago, but when the price for shipping 2 suitcases home reached $1,000 I made do. I realized on our last trip how much I brought that I didn't really need and have since scaled way back--this may be a good reason to do the same!

Most people just aren't aware of how expensive the idea is.....really just isn't an option.

I agree with others who said to scale back; don't take as many clothes with you. Much cheaper to get some laundry done on board if necessary than to try to ship it home or cart it all around yourself.

I can pack for a 2-week cruise in one medium suitcase and a small carry-on (not a suitcase-sized carry-on!). Some can pack even less and make do -- I just haven't reached that point yet....

When we were traveling this winter, I was stunned to find that I could get enough clothes for 5 days into a backpack--including my book and my netbook computer. You just have to realize the difference between what is essential and what isn't.

This is me walking to Termini in Rome in the rain:

IMG_0770.jpg.e46fb642eb1845f73250587c9e34ad88.jpg

Archived