Extremely important question from my 14yr old

luv2scrapdeb

I'm not sure where to post this. My 14 yr old is extremely worried about our flight from Ohio to Vancouver to catch our Princess cruise. She is very worried that we won't be able to pack snacks....I know, I know, seems like a small worry but to her it would ruin her own vacation to be hungry for more than 10 minutes. I know I can pack snacks to eat on the plane to Vancouver. My question is, will I have to throw away any unopened snacks before we land. She wants to have things to eat at a moments notice...whether it's upon landing, driving to the ship, boarding the ship, etc. Geez, skinny teenagers think they are going to starve. Thanks.

The customs form asks if you're bringing in any fruits/vegetables/meats. As long as those aren't the snacks she's bringing there shouldn't be any trouble. My kind of snacks are chocolate bars and I've never been stopped.

We always pack snack crackers for all our flights. Since we don't have direct flights to anywhere -- and if we suddenly find ourselves having to run for the connecting flight due to first plane being late -- at least we know that we have something to eat once on the second flight.

Granola bars work OK for this. I would skip meats, fruits, cheese and vegetables.

Also you need to follow the same rules when you get off the ship in ports. Pre-packaged items are OK and nothing else is allowed but water and canned sodas.

Rather than buying a huge (and cheaper) sack of nuts or trail mix, I would go for snack size pre-packaged portions.

Actually I went to Vancouver in February with trail mix in ziploc bags. On the customs form it asked about having nuts. I checked yes, but at the immigration counter (not customs, which comes later), they said that nuts are OK (at least the nuts in the self-packaged trail mix I carried). So I wouldn't even worry about that.

I traveled a month ago with numerous packaged snacks and fruit. The only item not permitted was one apple. Raisins, bananas and oranges were apparently non issues with customs. I declared everything mentioned.

Pre-packaged snacks will be fine, sandwiches will be fine, as pointed out above fruit and vegtables are not ok, they can be confiscated and you could be fined up to $400 per item. http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/toce.shtml

The only item not permitted was one apple. Raisins, bananas and oranges were apparently non issues with customs. I declared everything mentioned.

Moral of the story - declare everything and let the border officials decide what is and what is not allowed. Basically, this advice is given on the link putterdude mentioned above - "Food, plant, animals and related items are added and removed from restriction daily."

Moral of the story - declare everything and let the border officials decide what is and what is not allowed. Basically, this advice is given on the link putterdude mentioned above - "Food, plant, animals and related items are added and removed from restriction daily."

I think the real moral to the story is declare or face a fine of up to $400 per undelcared prohibited item.:eek: Plus once through Canadian customs there are lots of places to purchase snacks at YVR.:)

I think the real moral to the story is declare...

Huh? Guess you just missed what was written :D. To quote myself again:

Moral of the story - declare everything...

Plus once through Canadian customs there are lots of places to purchase snacks at YVR.

..at typical highly-inflated airport prices.

I'm not sure where to post this. My 14 yr old is extremely worried about our flight from Ohio to Vancouver to catch our Princess cruise. She is very worried that we won't be able to pack snacks....I know, I know, seems like a small worry but to her it would ruin her own vacation to be hungry for more than 10 minutes. I know I can pack snacks to eat on the plane to Vancouver. My question is, will I have to throw away any unopened snacks before we land. She wants to have things to eat at a moments notice...whether it's upon landing, driving to the ship, boarding the ship, etc. Geez, skinny teenagers think they are going to starve. Thanks.

Should be fine coming into Canada, entering the United States the rules are much stricter.

Huh? Guess you just missed what was written :D. To quote myself again:

..at typical highly-inflated airport prices.

No I didn't miss anything...just put a different spin on it.:D And YVR insists that its merchant/tenants keep prices at city levels...now that is not WalMart prices.:D

Archived