"stealing " with the beverage package

CLEMM

It reinforces norms of behaviour that, as a society, we choose to support.

As a society, we do not condone stealing. We have legal penalties and normative penalties for such unacceptable behaviour. Receiving the criticism of your peers for unacceptable behaviour is one of the normative penalties.

You are way off track on the parameters of social responsibility. There is some great material out there, a google away, if you are interested.

OK I GIVE!!

You're the one that's HOLIER THAN---Moi!

You win.

But I take issue with the statement that, "As a society, we do not condone stealing." We do more than condone it, we reward it and bail it out! Haven't you read the business pages this... decade...?

It reminds me of the story where a guy asked a good looking woman if she would "go" with him for $100. She refused. He upped the bid to $500. Still no. Then a Thou. No again. At $50,000 she hesitated, but declined. When the offer got to $100,000, she broke down and accepted.

A couple people had been listening to the conversation and one asked the other, is she a prostitute? The other guy said they just established that, they were just negotiating the price:D.

You can't be a little bit pregnant, and you can't be a little bit thief.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I think maybe I misunderstood the way the drink package works. If for instance DH got a drink pkg is it unlimited drinks for the length of the cruise?

I thought you could only use in one day what you paid for for one day.

If the pkg worked out to six drinks per day and he only drank 5 then the cruise line gets the money that he paid for the sixth drink.

If it is unlimited drinks for the length of the cruise, then I can understand the hue and cry about sharing.

I just didn't want any money that we paid for a pkg to go to waste. Guess for us it is better to just pay by the drink like we usually do.

This is the first cruise for us where a drink pkg ,other than soda, has been offered. We have usually gotten the wine pkgs on RCI to have at dinner.

Sorry I created such a stir. I certainly didn't mean to.

OK I GIVE!!

You're the one that's HOLIER THAN---Moi!

You win.

But I take issue with the statement that, "As a society, we do not condone stealing." We do more than condone it, we reward it and bail it out! Haven't you read the business pages this... decade...?

Nope, sorry. Still don't think that as a society we condone it.

Sometimes we DO see unethical people rewarded, inappropriately, as a part of a "fix" that is intended for the common good. I always hope that eventually, these individuals get their come-uppance.

I understand where you're coming from, though. Some of the hardest things to have watched in the last couple of years were the number of instances where people at the top (whose poor judgment or unethical activities led us into this mess) still took bonuses from bailout money that was taken out of the pockets of your average taxpayer who was now losing his job or her home. Truly shameful.

I think maybe I misunderstood the way the drink package works. If for instance DH got a drink pkg is it unlimited drinks for the length of the cruise?

It is indeed - just like the soda card.

Only much more expensive. :)

It is indeed - just like the soda card.

Only much more expensive. :)

Not to stir the pot, but I have a question - where do you all draw the line? Some people have said that having a sip of your spouse's drink isn't stealing, so what do you think about this hypothetical situation?

I have the premium package and my spouse is paying as he goes. He goes to the bar to get us both a drink. I want a $5 beer and he wants a $12 martini. What if he tells the bartender the martini is for me to get it with the package, and pays for the beer separately since it's cheaper? Stealing? What if the bartender doesn't ask which drink is for whom, and automatically puts the more expensive drink on the package? Are we required to correct him?

How will I be "Judged" by this forum???????

I will be buying a Premium package for myself and a Classic package for my wife.

If I buy a Martini on my Premium package at the Martini Bar and give it to my wife and she buys a Jim Beam on her Classic package and gives it to me will we have to "Walk The Plank"??????????? ;););)

How will I be "Judged" by this forum???????

I will be buying a Premium package for myself and a Classic package for my wife.

If I buy a Martini on my Premium package at the Martini Bar and give it to my wife and she buys a Jim Beam on her Classic package and gives it to me will we have to "Walk The Plank"??????????? ;););)

Yes - 'very well could effect'; 'Chaos Theory' certainly keeps one busy policing the universe eh?

Fortunately, neither I nor (stoweaway) family have ever purchased these packages. So - taking the large view (as one is invited to do here) those that purchase these and use them amply are boosting the lines pricing cost needs as to the retail drink to my detriment, or in another way... I'm subsidizing these drink packages... No matter how you crunch it though...

I'M HOLIER THAN THOU!:D;):D

It's pretty easy to be holier than me, because I'm not holy at all. Maybe holey, but not holy. LOL

Nope, sorry. Still don't think that as a society we condone it.

Sometimes we DO see unethical people rewarded, inappropriately, as a part of a "fix" that is intended for the common good. I always hope that eventually, these individuals get their come-uppance.

I understand where you're coming from, though. Some of the hardest things to have watched in the last couple of years were the number of instances where people at the top (whose poor judgment or unethical activities led us into this mess) still took bonuses from bailout money that was taken out of the pockets of your average taxpayer who was now losing his job or her home. Truly shameful.

You forgot that they want a tax break on those bonuses.

Don't worry about us - just do what you feel okay about.

Well ok then. My buddy is gonna buy dat dare premiym pakage and gonna give me free beers. And I'm gonna were dis to formal night as well. :p

2wqxvfb.jpg

Dis is a Carnival cruz right? :rolleyes:

How is what anyone does as to their drinking and their bar tender, ANY OF MY BUSINESS??

I could extrapolate a TON of hypotheticals that - on some other planet of cruise line corporate finance - impacts me (sort of, maybe, not). I might as well be judgmental about wave height...

Sometimes these threads are truly insane.

I agree with you. Its none of my business what people do with their drink package. My husband and I sailed on the Summit in January. I purchased the frozen drink package (which is no longer available) and I would share my drink with my husband. I ordered frozen margueritas, which we hugh. I only ordered one drink at a time, and shared it. Is that considered stealing?

I agree with you. Its none of my business what people do with their drink package. My husband and I sailed on the Summit in January. I purchased the frozen drink package (which is no longer available) and I would share my drink with my husband. I ordered frozen margueritas, which we hugh. I only ordered one drink at a time, and shared it. Is that considered stealing?

Yes.

Shouldn't this be all that is necessary to understand?

From the Celebrity site:

"... A 15% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and emium Package prices at checkout. Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared...

If not, I will just continue to bring my travel iron, smuggle my booze...that's actually cheaper than sharing... wear my shorts and flip flops while saving seats in the theatre and chairs at the pool. When I'm all done, I will, of course, stiff the wait staff as, again from the Celebrity site:

"For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion"

This is crazy. What if I only steal a little sip. What if I steal a drink every other day. What if the price of stealing is already built into the price of doing business. What if no one sees me stealing. What if no one knows I was stealing a drink.

Stealing is stealing. Whether its a little or a lot. Ethically and morally its wrong. I would have a problem with any of the what ifs presented here.

It reminds me of the story where a guy asked a good looking woman if she would "go" with him for $100. She refused. He upped the bid to $500. Still no. Then a Thou. No again. At $50,000 she hesitated, but declined. When the offer got to $100,000, she broke down and accepted.

A couple people had been listening to the conversation and one asked the other, is she a prostitute? The other guy said they just established that, they were just negotiating the price:D.

You can't be a little bit pregnant, and you can't be a little bit thief.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

George Bernard Shaw:)

This is crazy. What if I only steal a little sip. What if I steal a drink every other day. What if the price of stealing is already built into the price of doing business. What if no one sees me stealing. What if no one knows I was stealing a drink.

Stealing is stealing. Whether its a little or a lot. Ethically and morally its wrong. I would have a problem with any of the what ifs presented here.

THANK YOU....I have been amazed while reading this thread at all the different ways people think it's "OK" to abuse the basic principle of the package. The package is per person...period. Anything else is theft whether petty or not, it's still theft....astounding how so many people can justify breaking the rules, whether just "a little bit" or "a lot"...how is that so hard to understand. If you can't afford to buy your drinks the legitimate way then don't drink. And PLEASE don't tell me I'm on my soapbox...right is right and wrong is wrong....try to justify it all you want it's still wrong. Geez.............

Shouldn't this be all that is necessary to understand?

From the Celebrity site:

"... A 15% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and emium Package prices at checkout. Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared...

If not, I will just continue to bring my travel iron, smuggle my booze...that's actually cheaper than sharing... wear my shorts and flip flops while saving seats in the theatre and chairs at the pool. When I'm all done, I will, of course, stiff the wait staff as, again from the Celebrity site:

"For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion"

I assume it's a given that you'll also be smoking in non-smoking areas and will suspend handwashing for the duration of your cruise in an effort to infect all passengers and crew with noro-virus. LOL!

I've got a package ordered for the next cruise. Never thought about getting drinks for others with it - what a great idea!

OK Drinks are on me! For the whole ship!!!! Yippee!

...oh...you don't think that is OK?

Well, how about just for everyone in late dining? no....

Well, how about our whole cruise critic group, all 75 of us? no?

Well, how about me, my cousins and my grown up kids? no?

Well then!!! Exactly how many is it OK to steel for and how many are too much?

This whole steeling thing has me very confused!

Archived