Suite question

cs

For room service in a suite, do you order everything through the butler or do you still call room service? Also, is there a special room service menu for suites?

Thanks for the help

For room service in a suite, do you order everything through the butler or do you still call room service? Also, is there a special room service menu for suites?

Thanks for the help

Room service is handled by the butler, unless of course it's very late at night and they are off duty. The butler should let you know their hours when you meet them.

Basically you can order anything from any of the restaurants on the ship through your Butler. If it is from a specialty restaurant you will be charged. The butler will set up your table in the cabin with a tablecloth, and condiments as needed.

I have seen the cookies, but it seems they have limited them lately.....so keep checking.

I think I may have read somewhere that you can order items from a specialty restaurant to be brought to your suite but if you aren't ordering an entree that you don't get charged the upcharge. Is this correct? Not sure that it is...seems too good to be true. I actually don't care much about the entrees from these restaurants but would love to make a meal on the appetizers & desserts! If it costs the same then I might as well have a main course--but that's less room for the goodies!

I think I may have read somewhere that you can order items from a specialty restaurant to be brought to your suite but if you aren't ordering an entree that you don't get charged the upcharge. Is this correct? Not sure that it is...seems too good to be true. I actually don't care much about the entrees from these restaurants but would love to make a meal on the appetizers & desserts! If it costs the same then I might as well have a main course--but that's less room for the goodies!

Haven't cruised in a suite recently, but 2 years ago on the GEM I was able to have a standing room service order from the Butler for the Chocolate Fondue from Lebistro each evening.....and there was no charge. We also requested the fried calamari appetizer from the Italian restaurant one evening and there was no charge for that as well.

Haven't cruised in a suite recently, but 2 years ago on the GEM I was able to have a standing room service order from the Butler for the Chocolate Fondue from Lebistro each evening.....and there was no charge. We also requested the fried calamari appetizer from the Italian restaurant one evening and there was no charge for that as well.

Wow, that would be awesome if it still holds true. Sometimes I would just want something sweet from a specialty restaurant but not an entree. I'll let you know when I get back if that's still the case.

Thanks everyone!

And, yes, there is a special butler's menu in the suite, in addition to the regular room service menu. If there is something you want that is not listed on any menu, just ask! The butler will do whatever he/she can to get it for you. Also, for the breakfast cards (that you hang on your door the night before), don't think it's limited to what's listed. Write in whatever you want. One word of advice: don't write 2 eggs (bacon, toast, etc), you'll get 2 orders of eggs (bacon, toast, etc) unless that's what you want.

Oh, and definitely try breakfast from Cagney's! To die for!

DH has to have one or two big pieces of chocolate cake, and a glass of milk, before bed (we all know men are just big kids, right? :>) Any recommendations about whether I should specify a cake (which cakes?) or other chocolate dessert or just let the butler select? DH wants all chocolate, no nuts or coconut but other than that he's good to go, but I'd like to knock his socks off with something wonderful! And doesn't have to be cake, but does have to be chocolate!

We're in a spa suite on the Epic over Christmas, if that matters.

On our last 2 cruises, I had a standing order for double-chocolate brownies which the butler brought every afternoon (along with an assortment of mini-sandwiches). Your DH will love the brownies - they are the best EVER:D...

On our recent Epic cruise our Butler kept our mini fridge stocked with chocolate milk once he found out my youngest DD loved it and also made sure we had a platter of chocolate chip cookies and white chocolate macadamia cookies every night. He was awesome!

The one I'm really interested in is the Warm Espresso Chocolate Brownie, Macadamia Nut Ice Cream, Carmel Brittle (from Cageny's). I hope it's as good as it sounds!

On our last 2 cruises, I had a standing order for double-chocolate brownies which the butler brought every afternoon (along with an assortment of mini-sandwiches). Your DH will love the brownies - they are the best EVER:D...

On our recent Epic cruise our Butler kept our mini fridge stocked with chocolate milk once he found out my youngest DD loved it and also made sure we had a platter of chocolate chip cookies and white chocolate macadamia cookies every night. He was awesome!

How do you get your butler to do these things for you? Do you call each day and ask? On our last cruise we hardly ever saw the butler. On the first day when he was showing us our suite we asked if he could please make sure the ice bucket was full in the afternoon and early evenings and we asked about breakfast in our suite. As for the ice we thought maybe it was a rare commodity on board because we always had to ask for ice every day if we seen him. It seems like he always came by our suite and left the daily snack when we were out of the room. We got tired of asking and I just would go up one deck to the buffet and get some glasses of ice and bring them to the cabin. I was just wondering if our experience with the butler is the norm and yours is the exception or if we just got a butler that was having a bad week. I saw him in the hallway carrying trays in the evening like he was serving dinner to other suite guests so maybe he just had some people that took up all of his time and he didn't have time for us. I am hoping that our experience is a little different this time as I really would like to try a piece of the banana cream pie from cagney's and I wasn't sure if I should just ask the butler one day when I see them or if I needed to call them and ask if they could bring me a piece. Also I read that you can order from speciality resturants to eat in your suite and that you can ask the butler to bring you menus from the resturants and from the main dining room is that true?

How do you get your butler to do these things for you? Do you call each day and ask? On our last cruise we hardly ever saw the butler. On the first day when he was showing us our suite we asked if he could please make sure the ice bucket was full in the afternoon and early evenings and we asked about breakfast in our suite. As for the ice we thought maybe it was a rare commodity on board because we always had to ask for ice every day if we seen him. It seems like he always came by our suite and left the daily snack when we were out of the room. We got tired of asking and I just would go up one deck to the buffet and get some glasses of ice and bring them to the cabin. I was just wondering if our experience with the butler is the norm and yours is the exception or if we just got a butler that was having a bad week. I saw him in the hallway carrying trays in the evening like he was serving dinner to other suite guests so maybe he just had some people that took up all of his time and he didn't have time for us. I am hoping that our experience is a little different this time as I really would like to try a piece of the banana cream pie from cagney's and I wasn't sure if I should just ask the butler one day when I see them or if I needed to call them and ask if they could bring me a piece. Also I read that you can order from speciality resturants to eat in your suite and that you can ask the butler to bring you menus from the resturants and from the main dining room is that true?

In our case we didn't even have to ask. He just noticed the first morning when picking up the breakfast dishes that my youngest loved Chocolate milk, he then told her he would put some in the Fridge for her. Everyday it was stocked with 4 little cartons of chocolate. Basically, the same for the cookies, he saw that we brought a few back from the buffet for snack, he then offered to bring us a platter (about 6-8 cookies)each afternoon. He was wonderful and my 3 DDs adored him.

Yes, you can order a full dinner from the specialty restaurant. On the Epic the menus are on the interactive TV. I had a full dinner and dessert from Cagney's delivered for myself the night the girls were having dinner with the kid's club. It was fabulous and so relaxing.

Reba-

The specialty restaurant menus should be in your suite. If they aren't, you can ask your butler. I've heard of people asking for all the MDR menus so they can determine which evenings they liked or not, so they could decide which nights to go to specialty restaurants or have them delivered by the butler.

After a long day in port the ensuite dining is a wonderful option. That chocolate fondue sure tastes good while wearing your pajamas!

Reba ~ your experience was not the norm. Our butler gave us his # and we called him whenever we needed anything. After the first couple of days, he would anticipate what we needed and we hardly had to ask anymore.

As far as breakfast goes, there are breakfast order cards in the little binder in your cabin. Fill one out the evening before and hang it on your door. I definitely recommend breakfast from Cagney's!

Hi Reba: We've always had great butlers who have gone out of their way to make our cruises super special! On the first sea day, we let the butler know a few things (that we spend lots and lots of time in our suite), that we like mid-afternoon snack (mini-sandwiches, cookies, desserts, coffee) to be in the suite when we return from shore excursions (we set-up a standing delivery time of 3:30 PM); that we will be having breakfast in our suite every morning at a set time (6:00 AM) and that we will be eating several dinners in our suite also. As you can see, we're pretty much creatures of habit and even on a cruise are still up at 5:30 every morning:D.

Giving our butler a general idea of what we like and at what times, makes it easier for him/her to schedule their time around. A few instances our butlers have made us aware that there was a conflict with another suite (usually if the butler was working a large party) and we're flexible enough that we just changed up a little.

The butlers that we've enjoyed are professionals at what they do and several have gone on to become concierges for NCL.

If you're ever NOT happy with the service, immediately voice your concerns to the concierge who will resolve the problem quickly and efficiently.

I've said it numerous times on this forum, we've had the good fortune to have great butler/concierge teams on every one of our cruises and a great team can greatly enhance your cruise experience.

Reba-

The specialty restaurant menus should be in your suite. If they aren't, you can ask your butler.

After a long day in port the ensuite dining is a wonderful option. That chocolate fondue sure tastes good while wearing your pajamas!

We didn't see the specialty restaurant menus in our suite last time, I will be looking for them this time though and if they aren't there I will be sure to ask. The chocolate fondue sounds wonderful.

Reba ~ your experience was not the norm. Our butler gave us his # and we called him whenever we needed anything. After the first couple of days, he would anticipate what we needed and we hardly had to ask anymore.

As far as breakfast goes, there are breakfast order cards in the little binder in your cabin. Fill one out the evening before and hang it on your door. I definitely recommend breakfast from Cagney's!

It took us a couple of days before we found the room service breakfast menu order form. This time we know where to look for the room service order form and being in Alaska with very early ports of call I am sure we will take advantage of this more than once. We did try Cagney's for breakfast once and it was very nice but way to quite for me. I like to be able to hold a conversation with my tablemates and it was so quite in Cagney's that morning you could have heard a pin drop. There were only four other people in Cagney's at the time. Maybe we just eat breakfast to early.:)

Hi Reba: We've always had great butlers who have gone out of their way to make our cruises super special! On the first sea day, we let the butler know a few things (that we spend lots and lots of time in our suite), that we like mid-afternoon snack (mini-sandwiches, cookies, desserts, coffee) to be in the suite when we return from shore excursions (we set-up a standing delivery time of 3:30 PM); that we will be having breakfast in our suite every morning at a set time (6:00 AM) and that we will be eating several dinners in our suite also. As you can see, we're pretty much creatures of habit and even on a cruise are still up at 5:30 every morning:D.

Giving our butler a general idea of what we like and at what times, makes it easier for him/her to schedule their time around. A few instances our butlers have made us aware that there was a conflict with another suite (usually if the butler was working a large party) and we're flexible enough that we just changed up a little.

The butlers that we've enjoyed are professionals at what they do and several have gone on to become concierges for NCL.

If you're ever NOT happy with the service, immediately voice your concerns to the concierge who will resolve the problem quickly and efficiently.

I've said it numerous times on this forum, we've had the good fortune to have great butler/concierge teams on every one of our cruises and a great team can greatly enhance your cruise experience.

That sounds wonderful and I hope that we have a good experience with the butler we will have in a few weeks. Before the last cruise I had read here on Cruise Critic about letting the butler know ahead of time that you would like to have breakfast in your suite a few times. So when he was showing us the room and how the coffee maker worked (btw I never did figure that out) I mentioned that we would like to have breakfast in our suite at least a couple of mornings during the cruise. IMO that would have been a nice time for him to say that there is a breakfast order form to hang outside the door the night before, and show us where it was, but instead he said that breakfast is available at Cagney's for suite guest. Right at that time I felt like I maybe should not have mentioned breakfast in the suite. My DH said that maybe I took it the wrong way and that maybe the butler just didn't know that we knew that we could have breakfast at Cagney's. Then after the problems with not being able to get him to keep the ice bucket full in the afternoon and evening and having to ask each and every day if he could please make sure and refill the ice bucket I was beginning to wonder if we were doing something wrong.

Reba, I might have missed it, but which ship were you on? I have two suite cruises coming up and am eagerly anticipating things like meals in the suite and the kind of service others post they have gotten from their butlers....I would be very, very disappointed if we have the same experience! Even in a "steerage" :> cabin on Carnival the steward filled our ice bucket a couple of times a day!

Reba, I might have missed it, but which ship were you on? I have two suite cruises coming up and am eagerly anticipating things like meals in the suite and the kind of service others post they have gotten from their butlers....I would be very, very disappointed if we have the same experience! Even in a "steerage" :> cabin on Carnival the steward filled our ice bucket a couple of times a day!

We were on the Star and I just want to say that the experience did not cause us any problems and we enjoyed our suite and NCL so much that we have two more cruises booked on the Star. Our cabin steward was fantastic and he went more than out of his way to make our suite experience wonderful. It may have been that the butler was having a bad week and I know from reading here that each butler has about ten suites assigned to them. Maybe he had several demanding guests who took up all his time. When we returned I came back to Cruise Critic and did a search on his name and there were a few others who had said they had the same problems as we did, and there were others who thought he was the greatest butler in the world. So we sail in a suite again in just a few weeks and we hope to have one of the wonderful, friendly, cheerful butlers that others have experience on NCL.

Archived