Details on Princess Transfers

AndyTheK

Looking through prior posts, I've probably come across the complete answers, but in bits and pieces here and there. We're trying to decide whether to book Princess transfers from airport to ship, or just get a taxi. In our particular case (Quebec City), the cost for two transfers just about equals the taxi plus tips for longshoremen at the dock. Timing is not an issue either, since embarkation day is an overnight in port, and we're probably just going to un-jet-lag after being in transit 22 hours crossing six time zones including a four hour connection layover in the USA.

What we're interested in is the minimum amount of hassle and dragging luggage around. We have not used Princess transfers before this. So here are my concerns.

I've read that a Princess rep meets those who have transfers "at the baggage claim". Since we'll be landing in Canada, will this be replaced by "at the exit from Customs"?

Is luggage collected at a central spot or must we take it to the individual bus that we will be traveling in?

Will we need to manage the luggage at the port end of the transfer or is this done centrally by Princess?

We always tip the longshoreman porters - if Princess takes care of transferring luggage en masse how is this handled (one guess - possibly the transfer cost includes this payment)?

My concern about luggage stems from the fact that DW travels in a manual wheelchair, so we always need assistance whenever luggage must be moved - I can do the trolley, but she needs to be pushed, or vice versa. Therefore, the fewer the number of times we need worry about this, the better for us.

TIA. Andy.

Andy, I haven't done this in Quebec but have when landing in another country. You'll be able to request assistance from the plane in a wheelchair. The person helping you will push the chair through Immigration (often, there is a special line for those but I don't know about Quebec); he/she will then take you to pick up your luggage and assist you in getting a cart. They will help you put the luggage into the cart and then lead you through Customs and outside. The Princess rep will likely be waiting outside the exit from Customs and direct you where to wait or where to go. I've seen both having another porter collect all the luggage there or you wheel it out to a bus. Perhaps someone who has done this in Quebec can be more specific but that's been my experience many times in several different countries.

Thanks, Pam. We're well experienced in the airport side of this, including those trips where we go through US customs at first entry and recheck bags for the continuation of the journey. You gave a good description which could be a help to others reading this.

What I'm mostly interested is the Princess side of the process. That's what our decision will be based on.

Have a good day and weekend.

Shalom, Andy.

Hi Andy..........

No response to your question, but just wanted to know if you still have punches left on your coffee card(s). :D

Hi Pia. Good to hear from you.Yes still just about 16 left between the 2 (thanks to you) cards. Joanne is the specialty drinker, and I am the brewed lover. So we use about one a day, more or less. Cruise coming up is 10 days. Plenty of punches for that one. Next year is another story LOL.

Shalom hon. Andy.

Andy,

I can't tell you specifically about Quebec, but we used the Princess transfer in Seattle this May, so I'll tell you how that worked. The Princess rep met us at the luggage carousel and then sent us to a meeting area. We had to take our luggage to that area on our own (since they had 2 reps there, I suspect if someone needed help, one of the reps would have helped with the baggage or wheel chair). At the meeting area, the Princess reps collected our luggage (we tagged our own, but they also had tags available) and sent us to the bus. We didn't see our luggage again until it was delivered to our cabin. No need to tip anyone. Hope this helps you some.

I know we are in the minority, but my DH and I actually prefer using Princess transfers to using cabs and porters, even if it costs a little more. It's very convenient and easy, and no need to worry about tips. We hate dealing with cabs and porters, who always have their hands out.

Depending on the port and distance to the airport, we make our decision.

We just returned from Copenhagen RT Star Princess last week. Knew the airport was very close to the port (about 10 miles) so used a cab for $41.00 total, including tip, US. Princess Transfer was $34 each and there were 3 of us, so over $100 - so the cab was easiest.

With that being said, when it is a long transfer - like from Southhampton to Heathrow, which is about 1 1/2 hours - we use the Princess transfer...so it can go both ways.

If you are not famaliar with the port at all and have mobility issues, I would opt for the Princess transfer to avoid the hassle.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you.

I did the same in Copenhagen; however, we had a Hotel and went in early so could not do the Princess x-fer.

When I went on the Emerald, it was a repositioning Coastal from SFO to YVR. We were 4 hours late leaving SFO and 5 hours late getting into YVR. I was so glad that I had booked the Princess Air and Transfers. Other pax were scrambling to change flights and lines out the Computer Cafe.

Although I got to the Van Nuys Flyaway at midnight and had to work at 6 AM that day, it was better than getting home even later.

Like others say: It depends on the A/P and Embarkation Port

BTW, Andy, Thank you for all your help for Israel. We go next month.

IN QUEBEC (eh?):[/

I would Definitely use the PRINCESS Transfers (especially since there is so little monetary difference). I think you will get all the help you need.

Although I no longer walk so well, I CAN walk - and I always acquiese to those who cannot.

Princess gives such wonderful service.

:D:D;):D:D

There was more than one Princess rep to meet the transfer people when we arrived in Quebec. We had gone through customs in Montreal when we entered Canada. It seemed organised.

We arrived a day early and took a taxi to a hotel we had booked ourselves. The transfers were for the passengers who had booked their hotel with Princess.

A word of warning if you arrive via a different city. The planes to Quebec are very small, ours was a 37 seater, and some of the luggage had to be offloaded for weight. Our friend watched her suitcase being offloaded and did not get it until it was delivered to the hotel the next morning.

Thanks to all of you who answered.

For Quebec the Princess transfer is $24/PP so it looks like almost a wash as far as money is concerned. Your comments on the procedure convinced us to take the Princess transfer.

caber: Apparently there is going to be a large cruise crowd on Continental that morning. The equipment for our EWR-YQB flight was upgraded a while back to a 737 instead of the usual puddle-jumper. No problem with the luggage hold capacity.

crown prince: Enjoy your cruise. You'll love it here. DW says that the first time she came here, her impression of the countryside was that it looked exactly like the pictures in her Bible Stories book from Sunday School!

PS, in Quebec, isn't "eh" replaced by "N'est-ce pas"? :D:D

Shalom, Andy.

Archived