Who gets a PVP? Also ?about dining assignments..

Girlsnightout

I've read about them, but apparently we don't have one...is this because we booked through a TA and not directly through Carnival? Can we get one? I'm concerned about letting someone at Carnival know that we want the second (6:15) seating...on our invoice it says first seating, and to me that means 5:45, even though my TA insists both 5:45 and 6:15 are first seating. I'm not buying that, since the one person in our group who did book directly through Carnival has "second" seating written under their seating preference.

I don't know how the heck Carnival is supposed to understand that we definitely don't want 5:45 but rather 6:15 from what is written on our invoice...can anyone help?

I got a PVP just by registering on the Carnival web site. She contacted me very quickly, but when she found out I had already booked a cruise she exited the picture.

I would double check with Carnival regarding the dining situation. I know on the Paradise if your seating was at 5:45 you ate in one dining room and if you were designated for 6:15, you ate in another dining room. There was one night when a passenger wanted to go to our dining room, but wasn't allowed in because they had the 6:15 seating in the other restaurant. Not sure if this is how this works on the cruise you are taking, but I would speak to Carnival directly. Though you might be able to change things the first night of the cruise.

I've read about them, but apparently we don't have one...is this because we booked through a TA and not directly through Carnival? Can we get one? I'm concerned about letting someone at Carnival know that we want the second (6:15) seating...on our invoice it says first seating, and to me that means 5:45, even though my TA insists both 5:45 and 6:15 are first seating. I'm not buying that, since the one person in our group who did book directly through Carnival has "second" seating written under their seating preference.

I don't know how the heck Carnival is supposed to understand that we definitely don't want 5:45 but rather 6:15 from what is written on our invoice...can anyone help?

If you booked with a TA, you can call the 800# and speak with a PVP about general issues.Since you used a TA the PVP wont be able to give you any information regarding your booking.

Dining room requests are early(main) and late. There is no way to specify 5:45 or 6:15. They will do their best to honor your request(early or late), but its not set in stone.

Here is some info from the carnival website

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Reservations.aspx

Can I make reservations in the Dining Room?

spacer.gifDining preferences (early/main or late; traveling companions) can be requested by the travel agent or guest at the time of booking. No requests are guaranteed and all are subject to availability. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free.

Table size, the table number and dining time will be confirmed upon boarding the ship.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Assigned_Seating.aspx

Is there assigned seating in the dining room?spacer.gif

We have implemented a new system across the fleet called "Flexible Dining" featuring four staggered seating times. Since Flexible Dining will require two main dining rooms on the ship, this option will not be extended to the Spirit-class ships, which will have the traditional two seating times (see seating times below).

Flexible Dining: Imagination, Paradise, Triumph, Fantasy, Ecstasy, Holiday, Fascination, Victory, Elation, Sensation, Inspiration, Celebration, Conquest, Glory, Valor

Main (Early)

7:45 AM Breakfast

12:00 PM Lunch

5:45 PM Dinner

6:15 PM Dinner

Late

9:00 AM Breakfast

1:30 PM Lunch

8:00 PM Dinner

8:30 PM Dinner

Traditional Dining: Spirit, Pride, Legend, Miracle

Main (Early)

7:45 AM Breakfast

12:00 PM Lunch

5:45 PM Dinner

Late

9:00 AM Breakfast

1:30 PM Lunch

8:15 PM Dinner

Hours are subject to change due to conflict of time with port stays or other scheduled activities. On port days, breakfast and lunch may be organized as "open seating", where you may come and go as you please during the set hours and are not obligated to sit at your assigned table.

All dining is done on a request-only basis and is subject to availability.

As stated above, your TA should have requested Late seating, it appears they didn't. If it can not be changed before boarding, then go to the dining room after boarding (times for seeing the Maitre D will be posting in the Capers) and ask to change your time, they might not be able to do it for the first night but might be able to (sometimes have to wait and see how many in early want late and late want early and shuffle accordingly) for all the other nights.

Both 5:45 and 6:15 are first seatings, in reality. There will be two main dining rooms on your ship and they stagger the seating times between them. The 5:45 would be first seating for one of the dining rooms and 6:15 would be the first seating for the second dining room.

Second seatings would be 8:00 and 8:30 or something like that.

In Carnival lingo, the times are: Main Seating, Main Second Seating, Late Seating, and Late Second Seating.

I suspect Carnival won't do much for you, since you booked through a TA, the TA will have to try to fix, but you can try to call direct.

Every PVP I've had I tell to leave me alone and stop emailing me "specials". They are really nothing special.

Not sure what problem you are having with the Carnival website, but I tend to think it wouldn't let you modify, since the booking is through a TA.

The last option is as soon as you get on the ship find the Maitre 'D to change your seating to the 6:15 (which will also change your dining room).

Carnival may have put you in the dining room closest to your cabin, but just tell them dining time has a higher priority.

I just booked a cruise directly through Carnival yesterday and to be honest, I wasn't impressed. I tried to book directly through the website but my birthday kept coming up invalid (I'm not that old, that's for sure!!). I do receive e-mails and have gotten one phone call months ago from Carnival. The representative I spoke with was very soft spoken and it was difficult to hear. He obviously struggled with typing because I had to say everything twice and at one point was kicked off the system when he was confirming my cabin. Thank goodness we didn't lose the cabin. I called Carnival back to register on the website and again, had problems. The tech support person wasn't the friendliest and was basically turned off that I had a problem since she registered me with no issues. Also, the rep struggled with my e-mail address and I had to call back to have someone send it since it was 4 hours before I received my confirmation. I don't see anything that says my seating time but know I told him first. I did have questions on about self-debark and he wasn't helpful especially since I had arranged for my own airfare.

You booked your cruise through a TA. You asked how to 'get one'...you don't, and don't need to - you're already booked. Your TA should have asked you what dining time you prefer. Even though it's only a request, the question should have been asked.:o

I have booked my last five cruises through the same PVP, and have gotten some fantastic deals, shipboard credits, and upgrades. Wouldn't change the way I book for anything!

And, BTW, she never ever calls me to bug me about booking another cruise, and sends emails only when it's something she thinks I might be interested in.

I think everyone has dif't experiences with PVP's. I had (have?) one who called me after I registered and when I told her I was interested in a cruise for July, she somehow heard March and kept calling me back to ask if I was still interesetd in March. I still get emails from her at least once a week. Sigh.

I booked on line directly with Carnival. When I emailed a PVP, she said she could only answer general questions because I booked on line (but directly with Carnival). So whats up with that? Am I in a "black hole" somewhere?

Hmm, that does sound strange. How did you get her email address? I would call them and get it straightened out. Maybe they thought you booked online with another agency.

Did you realize, that at times you can get better deals speaking to a live PVP, rather than using the carnival online booking system. I just use their site another means of checking prices. I like to actually talk to the person Im handing over money to, so that I know Im getting the best deal possible.

I would concur that you can get a lot more information by calling. Although I had looked at all the available cabins listed on the website, when I called there were other choices available which suited our needs better. I did not, however, appreciate the junky PVP messages in my email (not related to the cruise) soliciting more bookings.

My PVP has been great. I went online at the Carnival site to book two cabins. One cabin went through fine but the other would not. I called Carnival and was assigned my PVP. She quickly did the booking based on what she could already see in the system. I have called her several times with little questions and problems and she has handled them. I haven't had any trouble with unsolicited calls or emails from her.

As for dining assignments..... I usually request the late seating and don't mind whether I get 8 or 8:30. The one time I did use a TA who specifically requested 8, we got 8:30. Since it was a large group, 14 people, we didn't try to change it. I have requested late and gotten to the ship to find they have us in the early(main) seating. Once I was able to change it, once I was not.The previous posters are right, about all you can do is have your TA put in the request, if you end up in a seating you don't want, try to change it.

You're right, Carnival won't touch the booking since I booked through a TA, and now, since it's past 75 days out and they have our final payment, the TA isn't even returning my calls and emails.

Don't think I won't remember the great service (not) that I'm receiving from this TA when I book next years cruise for our large group - which I should be doing VERY soon!:mad:

My PVP was wonderful. He always provided great service. He reminded us about final payment and called us to wish us a bon voyage. He even called us a few months after the cruise to see how my family was doing. I will definitely book with Carnival again because of him

I knew there was a reason we used my husband's company's TA. He will respond to us all the way through since he knows he'll hear from us and the rest of the company again and has a long term contract with them. And he's a really nice guy.

We'll be on the Fantasy in Nov for our first cruise and asked for late seating. It's just the two of us since our children are in college and we want late seating, so we're hoping making reservations this far out gives us some choice. Our reservation shows our cabin # and late seating, but I know seating time is not guaranteed.

You're right, Carnival won't touch the booking since I booked through a TA, and now, since it's past 75 days out and they have our final payment, the TA isn't even returning my calls and emails.

Don't think I won't remember the great service (not) that I'm receiving from this TA when I book next years cruise for our large group - which I should be doing VERY soon!:mad:

Is TA a 1 person company? If not, perhaps the owner could help? There must be a way to register a complaint, not that it will necessarily help your current situation.

DON'T give up yet. Once you get on the ship, find out where/when to get dining times changed. It is possible if there is space available. Also, there are always no shows for assigned times. You might ask the Maitre'D to find you available space at a table (this would be one time when I would actually remember to tip them).

From what I can surmise, it's a pretty big company. They have a very professional website, do lots of advertising and seem to have quite a few employees......It's called Cruise (rhymes with meals) dot com.;)

I'm also concerned that they wouldn't give me confirmation of our promised onboard credit....we have 6 cabins booked with them, so I'm getting more than a little bit ticked off..

What in the world is a PVP? Hate to show my ignorance but decided to swallow hard and ask! This is our 9th cruise and you would think by now I would know what a PVP is but no-----! Guess ignorance is bliss!

Personal Vacation Planner, they work at carnival and handle bookings and travel arrangements.

Archived