1st timer for Inside Cabin

LarryF

We have been in MANY insides but I do LOVE the balcony and the window on outsides, but I do think if I had a large inside cabin it would be OK if it was cheap. That being said, I did book an outside wraparound aft balcony on the Vision in Oct....my husband does not know, he will act like he is mad when he gets onboard, but he doesn't pay the bills and once he sees the balcony he will be out there reading a LOT....If I get a great deal, and have coupons and a Diamond discount I'll book it...

We've been in an inside cabin on a couple of cruises now. Our aim is to get on the ship! The one last year on Caribbean Princess was really nice and cozy, but not SMALL. There was room on both sides of the bed, mirrors,a nice bathroom, plenty of storage. I agree, it's hard to get up in the AM, but it's hard for me to get up anyway.

We've had two balconies, one was an unexpected upgrade-didn't even have a cabin number until we got to the terminal-and it was spectacular and large-we figured later it was a handicapped equipped room-everything was extra wide. We travelled on a different line in 2003 and were in Aft cabin with a balcony. I appreciated both balconies more than my husband but I can stay up on Lido and look at the ocean!

Today we booked our cruise for Oct. 8-Caribbean Princess again-inside.The rep on the phone said that a guarantee doesn't automatically upgrade you. He walked us up to the most expensive inside-then there is the chance for an upgrade as the cheapest rooms sell out-there were only two left today and that is what we'd originally wanted.

The other thing is to book early we were told. If someone wants the least expensive room or the one in our category, then there's the second chance for an upgrade.

Our unexpected one came on our cruise on the Golden in Oct of 2001-a month after 9/11. It hasn't happened since.

Anyway, our topic concerns whether an inside cabin is okay. Yes it is!!! Lynne

Lynwar, i agree with you...I appreciate balconies more than my husband but once he is there he loves them He just doesn't want to know how much they cost....he would be VERY happy with insides all of the time for the money...

We have only ever had an inside cabin as we like to spend the extra it would cost on on an outside cabin on ourselves. Leave the TV on the Web Cam channel, its a little window on the world!
Congrats Anniversardy Cruiser, I was reading this board and

I thought everyone was going to miss that. Inside cruiser, leave your

TV on the bow cam channel and you've got your window. By all

means enjoy your cruise and perhaps some wine. Just ignore those

who spell wine with an "H".

Fair Winds & Following Seas

Dave Hansen

We've done the inside, balcony and booked 4 cruises with inside as the price difference allowed us to book those 4 cruises. Mostly, the difference in price allows you to really enjoy the bar, the excursions, the bar, the shops and the bar. All kiddin aside, the inside on the Diamond was really very nice, roomy enough for the two of us without our getting on each others nerves (but then-we didn't spend much time in) We totally enjoyed the ship as we found we were out more. With the balcony, we didn't sit out there much as we were too busy having fun. We also went with a large group and spent alot of time doing things. There are several of us going on our next cruises and we all took the inside so we could be near each other. Enjoy-enjoy-enjoy

I've booked insides mostly for the lower cost, have really only been upgraded once to an obstructed. That was on a B2B on the Sun Princess and I have another one booked for Alaska in May. These are # 17 & 18 on Princess and an upgrade to at least the obstructed again would be nice.

I also leave the light on in the bathroom with the door mostly closed, like the dark for sleeping but really prefer to wake up to light. My choice is to save the $$ for the next cruise and live with the inside.

Doug

The inside cabins on the Golden are wonderful! I had C512... it was midship and very close to the suites... it had no motion and lots of quiet. Although people are always saying you won't spend that much time in your cabin, whenever I had too much sun or just wanted some peace and quiet, I went to my inside cabin!

My nightlight worked just fine in the bathroom outlet and we also had an illuminated travel alarm clock. The TV had a channel you could tune to if you wanted to know what was doing outside. The inside of this cabin is nearly identical to a balcony cabin, just different in the arrangement and possibly a foot or two shorter. They still have the desk/mirror/blowdryer/fridge/TV set-up, it's just turned 90 degrees so that it faces the beds instead of being beside them. The closet and bathroom are totally the same, no difference at all.

I booked a inside cabin last year and it had been 15 years since I had previously. I did this to save a bit as I was paying for 3 cruises last year (with college daughters and a honeymoon gift for son & bride). My daughter didn't care where we stayed so I booked an inside on Maasdam on the highest deck. It worked out wonderfully. We were on the same floor as the suites. Everything was within a few flights up or down. The size of the cabin was ample and we didn't find a need to keep the Bridge Channel on the TV as we like it dark anyhow. I was pleasantly suprised how it worked out and wouldn't hessitate to book one again.

Larry,

I have only had an inside cabin on our one and only cruise. We were on a 4 day repositioning cruise. We did keep our TV tuned to the bridge camera for an outside "window". That being said I was tired after 4 days of no windows in our litle home. Since we were in a colder climate cruise it might have made a difference than if we were in the Carribbean where we would be out on the deck more. But don't think that I could handle a 7 day or longer without a window on the world.

Our second cruise will be to Alaska in June and are scheduled for a unobstructed view cabin. So I will be able to really make a decision overall. I do agree that if it means the difference btw cruising and not cruising I think that I could make do.

I sail single and do the inside for financial reasons. I've had outsides, balconies but my main thought is just get me onboard! Alot of ships the square footage for the cabin isn't much different for inside/outside/balcony so I figure why pay all that extra?

My real test will be my 3 weeks on the Sea Princess in Sept., I'll report back and let you know how I do with it! The single supplement for an outside was outrageous so I'm in a K on Plaza. I've been on the Golden and enjoyed the inside cabin, of course, 7 days is different than 21!

I'll bring a picture and my beanie baby birthday bear to cheer the room up! I have a wood frame that says Susans Cruisin with a place to insert the ship of the moment. It stands so that will help!!! Stay tuned!

We usually get the insides to save money (more cruises that way :) ). We also leave on the bathroom light with door slightly ajar for those in the middle of the night visits.

The only two times we had a window was on Carnival for the first two that we had travelled with kid: the first time they upgraded us from an inside and the second time we had the window at the back of the ship. Great for hubby and daughter: they would climb up on the ledge and look at the view. When we were planning our first Princess cruise, I talked to a rep at the cruiseline about the balconies (We were nervous because of our 5-year-old) and decided to go with the inside. We had even gotten a phone call offering us a free cruise with balcony if we postponed our trip for two weeks (due to "overbooking") but we turned that down.

As for weather reports, we turn to the TV channels with the bridge cam and then the ship's info. Usually we can get somewhat an idea of the weather. I would like it if more info about the expected weather for the day be placed on the ship's info page so we would know how to dress for afternoon excursions. I remember on Carnival, the captain would make a PA announcement around noon with weather conditions.

Anyway, with so much to do on the cruise, why hang around the room?

• 3 months later...
We have been on 11 cruises and always had a least and ocean view and for our last five cruises we have had a balcony and one mini suite.

With two kids in college this year, we need to watch the $$ closely and decided to book an inside cabin on the Golden in April. Neither my wife or I are clastrophobic so no worry there. Would like to hear from anyone who has been used to outside cabins that switched to inside and how it went...thanks

Find the channel that shows the bow cam and leave it on for

your whole cruise. You'll have a good ocean view anyway

Dave Hansen

Be aware of those inside cabins Aft on Aloha deck! I have been in two now (Grand 1999 - A736, and Diamond 2005 - A740.) Both have problems with noise from the Aft Terrace Pool on a couple of nights, but the one on the Diamond had loud, annoying sounds everynight! I picked that cabin specifically because of it's location and I was very disappointed in it....had to buy ear plugs and I HATE them!

I don't mind cruising in ANY type of cabin....I've been in balconies (loved it), outsides (loved it) and insides (for the majority of my cruises and for the most part, loved it!) Get a good location near an elevator and have a great time in the inside cabin.

Archived