1st timer for Inside Cabin

LarryF

We have been on 11 cruises and always had a least and ocean view and for our last five cruises we have had a balcony and one mini suite.

With two kids in college this year, we need to watch the $$ closely and decided to book an inside cabin on the Golden in April. Neither my wife or I are clastrophobic so no worry there. Would like to hear from anyone who has been used to outside cabins that switched to inside and how it went...thanks

We did an inside cabin once, think small shower and dark rooms when the lights are off. The inside was fine but I prefer a window. Be sure to bring a night light for the bathroom so you don't wake up your cabin mate.

While I (much) prefer a balcony, or at least an outside, we do insides too, depending on price. We were in an inside for 4 weeks on a back-to-back three years ago, and it was fine. There's plenty of light and space in other places than the cabin. Enjoy. Nancy

We usually book an inside cabin and have had no problems with it. The inside cabins on Princess's Grand ships have mirrors behind and bed and on the wall opposite the bed, so it makes the room feel bigger. Also, we like to cruise as much as possible, so staying in an inside cabin allows us to cruise twice instead of once a year.

Make sure you have an alarm. Since it is dark(nice for sleeping) you might oversleep. Since you don't have a window or balcony you will probably not spend as much time in your room. Good thing--more walking around and doing things burn up more calories. You can spend more money on booze.

A few years ago my husband and I booked 3 inside cabins for our adult children and families while we enjoyed an outside cabin. :D The only problem they had was deciding what the weather was outside without running outdoors, they ran into our cabins and peeked out the window more than once. Another time I saw a young family with small children in shorts and no jackets running for the elevators, whoops, told them there was a light rain outside. Back to the cabin for jackets.

Maybe on TV there is a weather update for the day to help one prepare.

I know one couple that brings a porthole picture and puts it up on the wall and makes you think you have an outside cabin. Some outside guanantees do no cost much more than and inside cabin and you can control spending on the ship to make up the difference. Think about it.

I vote for an inside cabin on western Caribbean trips and balconies for Alaska, Southern Caribbean, or Mediterranean. I love the extra dark rooms on the inside. The balcony would be great always, but I just don’t know if it’s worth the extra cost for the flat lands of Cozumel etc.

Book a guarantee--maybe you will be upgraded!! And I second the alarm clock--my husband and I slept thru Cabo San Lucas once--we woke to the sound of the anchor, but it was coming UP, not going down....the port was short, 8-1, but STILL.....

Just did an inside for the first time on the Grand Princess. I didn't find it bad at all. Plenty of room for the amount of time we spent in the cabin. Husband still prefers a balcony - likes to sit out at night. I just left the light on in the bathroom as I couldn't find an outlet to fit my nightlight. Instead of an alarm clock you can set the phone to do a wake up call.

We have sailed on 45 cruises so far. We have been in balconies, outside with window and inside. On Princess, the inside is as nice as the others. Never had a complaint. Sleep very sound as it is nice and dark and if you want a nap in the afternoon when you return from the beach or an excursion, you will find you nod off quicker. It comes down to preference, some people donot like the inside because they are too dark. Its all up to you and the prices are usually lower. You still enjoy the same amenities as everbody else on the ship. Enjoy your Cruise whatever Cabin you decide on.........

Thanks for all your replys! We do have an inside guarantee and have already been bumped up to a higher inside catagory and told we can still be bumped more.

As much as I love the outside cabins...we really don't spend that much time in the room...so I think we'll be fine in the inside cabin. I do like to be able to look out the window to check the weather, but I don't think that will be a big deal....Thanks for the tips about the using the alarm on the phone and the night light...

I shouldn't tell you this, because you may get your hopes up....but on Princess we were upgraded from guaranteed inside to balcony twice, from guaranteed inside to outside twice, from guaranteed inside to obstructed view outside twice......

You book a guarantee through a TA or travel website. Sometimes guarantees are the only thing available in a category. Other times there will be several specific cabins available as well as a guarantee.

Our first cabin was an inside. When we went on our second cruise and had an outside cabin, my DH said he could never go back to an inside cabin. When we had our first balcony cabin on our seventh cruise, he said he could never cruise without at least a balcony. So I booked our next cruise in an inside cabin. We had a great time. Since then, we've had an outside, a balcony, and then another inside on our most recent cruise. It was a 9-night holiday one on Celebrity, and the difference in price to an outside cabin was $1,500. That's more than I want to pay for a window.

First of all, no worries, you are on the ship and you will have a great time. I think the biggest change is just the darkness, outside light and a window just gives an added dimension to the room. Our biggest adjustment is in the morning, we find we are more groggy in the morning and have a tougher time waking up in an inside cabin. Set your alarm and when it goes off turn a light on and the TV, wait 5 mintues and turn every light on in the room, then go outside and enjoy your fabulous cruise. :cool: :) :p :D

Dobie, good for you! We've been on 14 Princess cruises and never been upgraded. I'm glad it happens for some. Nancy

Yep, I'm with you Nancy. Only 5 Princess cruises, but never an upgrade. As I never really expect one, I guess I'm never disappointed. Seems some people have all the luck, huh?

I did an inside once and never will again. It was too dark. Part of the joy of cruising for me is to see the sea. If I wake up in the middle of the night I can go out to the balcony in my nightgown and see the stars, hear the water etc.

With three kids in college we always book inside cabins. We've tried the others, including a suite, but we are very satisfied with the inside cabins.

They have the same storage and generally the same bathroom. We leave the light on in the bathroom and shut the door so there is a little light in the cabin in case you have to get up. Some light will also come through the bottom of the cabin door. My wife loves the dark cabin for sleeping.

When you consider the value, I'm of the opinion that inside is best.

Windows and balconies are really nice, but an inside is Ok sometimes. If you book in advance, you can choose a cabin that's not far away from outside. Take a cabin on Aloha deck in the aft and you're only a few steps away from the biggest balcony of the ship, the Terrace pool area (on Grand class ships).

Last year we began the year with a very surpising upgrade to a balcony followed by an obstructed view and two insides. We enjoyed them all, but I felt I "had" to use that balcony so I spent less time on the rest of the ship. We enjoyed the size and design of the insides (survived a river cruise with an inside bunk), but we do tend to hit the snooze on the alarm and sleep in later in the inside cabins.

Archived