Eclipse Aug 7th

Mrs Haggis

Hi,

We are just back and rapidly desending into post-cruise slump!

As far as concerns the ports we didnt do any organised tours but these are my observations and are of course purely subjective particularly as we had been to some ports before and also as some of our party have mobility problems:-

Vigo - easy walk into old town just across from port very quaint but it is hilly and steep in parts. Large modern shopping mall at port as well.

Lisbon - Not sure if there were shuttle buses. We took taxi from railway station opposite up to castle - only 6 Euros. It was extremely hot that day 90F+ so we didnt fancy the queue for tickets for the castle and just wandered through Alfama and down to main shopping area for well deserved beer and shade!

It was really too hot for us to do much and I am sure Lisbon has a lot more to offer! Taxi back to ship was 5Euro.

Gibraltar - had been before and wasnt bothered to get off ship but my Dad wanted whisky so we did. There were taxis offering a standard tour of the main tourist attractions for I think 22Euro per person - they took 6 or eight in a van. I fancied it but the others in my party didnt. I heard afterwards from others who took the tour that it was very good. I think it lasts about an hour and a half.

The arrangements for shuttle transfers were disgraceful! There were huge queues for the ships shuttle and also for the local taxi shuttle as there was another cruise ship in before us. We would have had to wait over an hour for either. There were no private taxis at all! The local security guard suggested we walk and it was indeed a flat and easy 15 minute stroll to the large square at the start of High Street. High Street is a very long pedestrianised shopping street with many off- licences and jewellers and familiar English high street stores. Whisky was £6.75 a litre Shared taxi back to ship was £1.50 each.

Barcelona - there was a ships shuttle but we took a taxi to the Catherdral so we could explore the Gothic area. We had all been before and as the city is so large just limited our visit to one small area. The food market just off the Ramblas was amazing! if not been before I would recommend the HO-Ho bus.

Toulon - Ship docks in another town -La Seyne(?) about 30 mins away so defintely need the shuttle bus if going to Toulon. it drops you right next to the pretty seafront area and close to the bustling market. We took little train tour around town 6Euro - beaches looked very nice and later heard from others that there was a very nice beach closer to ship so next time would go to the beach or investigate la Seyne which looked very pretty.

Palma -The ho-ho bus stops right at the port but warning for those of limited mobility it is very long walk just to get to the port exit. You can also get a local bus or taxi there. The shuttle bus is right by the ship however. As it docks on a Sunday there are no shops open and there is little traffic so the Ho -ho bus was not held up at all - it was a lovely hour's trip.

The next day we took the ship's shuttle - it drops you opposite the Cathedral so about a 10 minute walk to the main shopping areas.The shuttle charge was $10 return.

Cadiz -again no shuttle needed as can just walk across the road and into the town. Again HO-Ho bus stop just outside port gate. Lovely tour of compact city surrounded by gorgous beaches.loads of shopping streets as well.

Formal nights - these werethe first Sunday,Saturday (after toulon) and the last Thursday

And finally -yes the Weir brothers are still on board!

If there's anything else you wish to know - just ask.

Wendy

Toulon - Ship docks in another town -La Seyne(?) about 30 mins away so defintely need the shuttle bus if going to Toulon. it drops you right next to the pretty seafront area and close to the bustling market. We took little train tour around town 6Euro - beaches looked very nice and later heard from others that there was a very nice beach closer to ship so next time would go to the beach or investigate la Seyne which looked very pretty.

Hi - do you know what the cost was for the Toulon shuttle and what time the first bus left please?

Someone also said there was a free port bus to the little ferry that takes you over to Toulon for €2 - did you see this?

Hi,

We are just back and rapidly desending into post-cruise slump!

As far as concerns the ports we didnt do any organised tours but these are my observations and are of course purely subjective particularly as we had been to some ports before and also as some of our party have mobility problems:-

Vigo - easy walk into old town just across from port very quaint but it is hilly and steep in parts. Large modern shopping mall at port as well.

Lisbon - Not sure if there were shuttle buses. We took taxi from railway station opposite up to castle - only 6 Euros. It was extremely hot that day 90F+ so we didnt fancy the queue for tickets for the castle and just wandered through Alfama and down to main shopping area for well deserved beer and shade!

It was really too hot for us to do much and I am sure Lisbon has a lot more to offer! Taxi back to ship was 5Euro.

Gibraltar - had been before and wasnt bothered to get off ship but my Dad wanted whisky so we did. There were taxis offering a standard tour of the main tourist attractions for I think 22Euro per person - they took 6 or eight in a van. I fancied it but the others in my party didnt. I heard afterwards from others who took the tour that it was very good. I think it lasts about an hour and a half.

The arrangements for shuttle transfers were disgraceful! There were huge queues for the ships shuttle and also for the local taxi shuttle as there was another cruise ship in before us. We would have had to wait over an hour for either. There were no private taxis at all! The local security guard suggested we walk and it was indeed a flat and easy 15 minute stroll to the large square at the start of High Street. High Street is a very long pedestrianised shopping street with many off- licences and jewellers and familiar English high street stores. Whisky was £6.75 a litre Shared taxi back to ship was £1.50 each.

Barcelona - there was a ships shuttle but we took a taxi to the Catherdral so we could explore the Gothic area. We had all been before and as the city is so large just limited our visit to one small area. The food market just off the Ramblas was amazing! if not been before I would recommend the HO-Ho bus.

Palma -The ho-ho bus stops right at the port but warning for those of limited mobility it is very long walk just to get to the port exit. You can also get a local bus or taxi there. The shuttle bus is right by the ship however. As it docks on a Sunday there are no shops open and there is little traffic so the Ho -ho bus was not held up at all - it was a lovely hour's trip.

The next day we took the ship's shuttle - it drops you opposite the Cathedral so about a 10 minute walk to the main shopping areas.The shuttle charge was $10 return.

Cadiz -again no shuttle needed as can just walk across the road and into the town. Again HO-Ho bus stop just outside port gate. Lovely tour of compact city surrounded by gorgous beaches.loads of shopping streets as well.

Formal nights - these werethe first Sunday,Saturday (after toulon) and the last Thursday

And finally -yes the Weir brothers are still on board!

If there's anything else you wish to know - just ask.

Wendy

for the Formal nights. did everyone "dress up" I hope they did:p

Hi - do you know what the cost was for the Toulon shuttle and what time the first bus left please?

Someone also said there was a free port bus to the little ferry that takes you over to Toulon for €2 - did you see this?

The Celebrity shuttle for Toulon was $ 14.00 U.S. return. If you booked a Celebrity excursion, they offered any of their 4 shuttles back into town Barcelona, Palma, Toulon and Gibralter) for free, included in your original excursion price. Thought that was a nice touch.

Hope that helps.:)

Most people seemed to be dressed up for formal nights though perhaps this did ease off a bit by the third. There was no Captain's reception or canapes or anything to make formal night "special". The captain appeared once on stage to introduce his officers and once for the Celebrity 20th birthday "celebration"

Most people seemed to be dressed up for formal nights though perhaps this did ease off a bit by the third. There was no Captain's reception or canapes or anything to make formal night "special". The captain appeared once on stage to introduce his officers and once for the Celebrity 20th birthday "celebration"

We were on the cruise before you and experienced the same lack of formal 'celebration', no reception, canapes and only a glass of bubbly as we entered the theatre for the after dinner show where the captain briefly appeared to introduce the crew.

Julie

Archived