Public Transportation Pier to Pearl Harbor???

teacherman

We will arrive in Honolulu aboard RCCL Rhapsody on Tuesday, September 28, at 8:00 am. Our ship remains there that day. We want to do Pearl Harbor, visiting Arizona and Missouri. Do any of you know if there is a public bus that runs from the pier/terminal area to Pearl Harbor? If so, how often and how long does it take to get there? If we get to Pearl by 9:30, or so, would we most likely get tickets for early afternoon? Any advice/info is welcome. Thank you.

Yes, there is a bus that goes by very close. It runs every 20 mins IIRC, and will take about 20-25 mins from the port. It costs $2 pp.

The Pearl Harbor ticket info is somewhat controversial. I was there last November, took the bus from Waikiki, got there around 8:30, and the line was minimal. We will do the same this coming November, as the Missouri was in drydock last year, and we really want to see it.

Others will swear the line is huge, and it may have been. I am thinking late September is a little off season- like November, and the crowds are somewhat smaller.

The other concern is the construction at the site, which is due to be completed Dec 7. It didn't affect our visit, but many have said it has been a major problem this year.

If you do an Internet search for "Honolulu Bus", you will find their website for the bus. This couldn't have been easier for us to use.

The Pearl Harbor ticket info is somewhat controversial. I was there last November, took the bus from Waikiki, got there around 8:30, and the line was minimal. We will do the same this coming November, as the Missouri was in drydock last year, and we really want to see it.

Others will swear the line is huge, and it may have been. I am thinking late September is a little off season- like November, and the crowds are somewhat smaller.

The other concern is the construction at the site, which is due to be completed Dec 7. It didn't affect our visit, but many have said it has been a major problem this year.

We were at Pearl Harbor in May of this year and arrived at 8:00 a.m. There was no line for tickets. We walked right up to the counter. However, we did not get a ticket until 12:20 p.m. :(

The construction was not a problem for us either. It is just that procedures have changed. In the past everyone on an Arizona tour had to see the movie together before they go on their boat. With the construction the movie is now optional. They only have a small tent area where you can view the movie.

From all I have read it sounds like once they started the construction, they changed procedures at PH. Whether these changes are temporary or permanent, I have no idea. Many said that in the past tour guides COULD NOT get tickets for their tour groups. It has been widely reported here and on TA that the buses needed to unload and each person had to get in line for their own ticket. There were even reports where some tour groups were unable to get tickets as they were gone for the day by the time the tour bus arrived. No priority was given to tours. That seems to have changed. Many on this forum have been reporting that their drivers just went to get the tickets for the whole group. This new procedure is surely cutting down on lines. What I haven't heard yet is whether these drivers can pre-order their tickets, or if this is a permanent or temporary change.

Also, to clarify, it is not the line to GET the tickets that is long, it is when you get the tickets, as to how many people have gotten tickets before you. You have heard from two people who have both had no lines, one got a tour right away, the other, not till afternoon. You just do not know how many people, how many tours, will be there the day you want to go. that is why we keep repeating to get there an early as possible. Even taking a cab from the pier might get you in a lot sooner.

Cheers

Len

The tickets for the Arizona Memorial are Free and distributed on a first come, first serve basis.

We got there at 7:40 on Sunday, July 18, our tour bus driver picked up our tickets from his supervisor who was on site. Our tour time was 9:00 a.m.

When we were leaving the walkway to the Memorial at 10:00, I overheard a guy tell his family that they might as well get lunch because their tickets were not until 2:00 p.m.

I too have heard (and seen in the past) that tour bus drivers cannot get tickets but for some reason this time, they could. Our driver radioed as we were leaving our hotel that he had 15 on board and the supervisor handed him 15 tickets upon our arrival. (it was through Roberts Hawaii Tours)

My thought is that the tour drivers getting tickets is just temporary while the construction is going on because if there had been a line, it would have been interesting where it would have woven too.

The OP may seriously want to consider some sort of tour to see Pearl Harbor... whether through RCCL or a private tour company (like Roberts at http://www.gorabbitgo.com). That way they may be guaranteed to see the Memorial. I would hate to ride a bus to Pearl Harbor and then get there only to find that all tickets have been allocated out for that day.

Some other notes:

1.) The USS Missiouri is also there, but there is a charge to go see it. (tickets are available at the Arizona Memorial ticket window.)

2.) No bookbags, backpacks, fannypacks or camera cases are allowed at the Arizona Memorial You either have to leave these on the bus OR pay to have them stored at the nearby storage facility. Cameras are allowed, just no camera cases. As two tour guides have said... if it won't fit in your pocket, you can't take it in. (another reason to take a tour....usually the tour busses remain and you can leave your stuff on the bus.)

Archived