Cadiz on Sunday - Seville

sunny54

Good morning, we will be in Cadiz on a Sunday and have read on these boards that everything will be closed. So if we were to go to Seville, will everything be closed there as well? I know we can walk by some sites, but would like the opportunity to stop for a drink/lunch and do a little shopping. Thanks for any advice you can give me!:)

Sunday is quiet day all over Spain; not only in Cadiz or Seville. Most stores are closed but some bigger stores (like El Corte Ingles) may be open depending on location. Public transport is working and some restaurants/bars should be open.

How long is your port time?

If you have enough time, I would go to Seville. We were in Cadiz on a Tuesday, and while the city is enjoyable, we found for us a half day was enough to see the sites. With the shops closed on Sunday, even less.

In hindsight, after speaking with others on our ship, a trip to Seville would have been the better choice.

I hope I don't sound like a broken record but it is a Sunday and it is your first time to the area.I would stick with Cadiz. If you return on another cruise then go to Seville. If this is your first time I can't see taking a three hour R/T drive just to go to Seville because the reality is that to do Seville in the day you need to skip Cadiz. Cadiz is quite nice. It has a great deal of charm to it.

Keith

I agree. Skip Seville and stay in Cadiz. Sunday is a closed day all over Spain, except for a few restaurants and bars. Seville deserves more than the short time you can give it. Act Spanish and S L O W down! Take a lazy stroll round the old town, and then settle down with a bottle of chilled sherry and some tapas and just people watch before having a long relaxed lunch.

Sorry to put my oar in and contradict recent posts, but unless you are very short on time I would not pass up the chance to see Seville. Cádiz has a good atmosphere, but is nothing special. I've visited all the major Spanish cities, but Seville surpasses them all; it is stunning and massively atmospheric. And it doesn't matter if some shops are closed, as seeing La Giralda are wandering the narrow streets of the Barrio Santa Cruz are quite enough. Just because the shops are closed doesn't mean that Sundays are not lively; on the contrary the streets will be full of people and the bars and restaurants buzzing. :)

Sorry to put my oar in and contradict recent posts, but unless you are very short on time I would not pass up the chance to see Seville. Cádiz has a good atmosphere, but is nothing special. I've visited all the major Spanish cities, but Seville surpasses them all; it is stunning and massively atmospheric. And it doesn't matter if some shops are closed, as seeing La Giralda are wandering the narrow streets of the Barrio Santa Cruz are quite enough. Just because the shops are closed doesn't mean that Sundays are not lively; on the contrary the streets will be full of people and the bars and restaurants buzzing. :)

True, Cadiz isn't the buzziest place or the most atmospheric but for the time available.... As far as Seville on a Sunday: The streets are full of people either going to or from church and /or home for lunch. Most people out on a Sunday in seville are not Sevillanos, but turistas. Agreed - the Giralda is fab and Seville is truly a lovely city, I have spent a lot of time there, but it does close down ( ever been in Seville during the day in Feria week??? I have.) You DO need time in Seville to do it justice. IMHO. You pays your money and you makes your choice! Whatever you decide to do you can't help but love Spain, if you have a soul ! Enjoy your cruise and your time in Spain. Don't regret what you didn't choose - just do it the next time!

Both cities are nice and worth the visit. Seville deserves more than few hours. Our ship stopped in Cadiz from 9 to 5; with Seville is close to 2 hr away o/w even travelers on a private tour would have 2-3 hrs in town at the most. We stayed in Cadiz; went to the Victoria beach (about 30 min from port; it was late August) and just walked around. For people who are want to leave Cadiz regardless Jerez (with it's bodegas) is closer; only 45 min by train.

We were in Cadiz on Sunday, and it was pouring down with rain and all the shops were closed. We did have a fabulous time in Cadiz though. Cadiz is the oldest towns in Spain, and one of the oldest towns in southwestern Europe, with a history going back more than 3000 years. There are several walking routes you can easily do yourself, with bright couloured lines painted on the sidewalk. At every historical building, there is a sign in Spanish and English explaining its history. It took us most of the day to do all the walking tours. When we were there, they had a pilot project offering free (although a little slow) wireless internet on the Cathedral square. We had our laptop with us and made good use of it. On the church steps and on the terraces around we saw loads of people with laptops.

Be careful planning trips out of town on the train on Sunday. The train service is infrequent on Sunday, and you can hardly DIY to Sevilla. If you are interested in an organised excursion to Sevilla, be sure to book it beforehand. All the ships excursions were sold out before our sailing, as a lot of people had already thought of Cadiz on Sunday being closed. We did not mind, as we specifically wanted to see Cadiz.

On the site of Cadiz, you can download all kinds of information, such as a 40-page guide for cruise passengers with suggestions what to do in 1 day, and 4 free walking tours. Click here to download. The cruise guide has stunning pictures too. There are also 2 Hop-On-Hop-Off bus companies in Cadiz.

• 2 months later...
sunny, I think you now have both sides of the picture. If you need more, please let us all know.

Keith

Good morning all and thank you so much for all the advice and points-of-view. I failed to mention in my original post that we will be in port in May, 2011 from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. We are just beginning to make plans and research our ports so this is still up in the air and our ship has no yet posted their excursion list (we do some ship shorex and some independent or private tours).

I also see a lot of trips to Jerez de la Frontera and the Andalusian horse country. What do you all think of that? Do you think that would be a nice day?

I truly appreciate all your input! We're pretty laid back people who have a good time no matter where we go!! :) We're on vacation....what's not to like???????

I adore Jerez, and no trip there is complete without a visit to the Spanish Riding School. Even if you have only a passing interest in horses you can't fail to be moved by the fabulous show that is performed in the beautiful surroundings of the Royal School - it gives me gooseflesh and moves me to tears. See the bodegas and get the low-down on sherry making. Sadly you'll be to early for a flamenco show but sometimes, if you are lucky, you'll come across an impromptu performance in a dim bar. If you hear a guitar and cante, just go in and listen over a tapa or three and a bottle of chilled fino. Jerez is a safe, walkable town, easy to navigate your way round. Andalusian horse country? What is offered in this trip? Is it part of Jerez trip or separate? Is it a visit to a bull ranch - again - fabulous - you hear and feel the ground shake as these magnificent animals charge past you. Can you tell I adore Spain? Whatever you do, you won't be disappointed. If you are then you have no soul.

We haven't been to Cadiz yet but I have researched for our trip next year. First, many things in Jerez are closed on Sunday. There are no horse shows and no horse training on Sunday according to the guide book I have. Many of the bodegas are closed on Sunday, again according to the guide book I have. I only know what I read so if someone has first-hand knowledge that this is not correct, please let us know.

We are overnighting in Cadiz (arriving Sunday morning and leaving Monday at 3pm) so have decided to go to Seville on Sunday. We are not counting on the trains since it is Sunday but are booking transportation and a 3 hr. walking tour, with the remainder of the day on our own. I don't have my research notes in front of me, but I believe you can visit Alcatraz during certain of the morning hours but the Cathedral is not open until the afternoon (2:30pm to 6:30pm). We are going to spend 10 hours (counting transportation to and from) in Seville and returning to the ship Sunday evening. On Monday we will either go to Jerez or walk around Cadiz.

I'm sure whatever we do we will enjoy Spain.

We haven't been to Cadiz yet but I have researched for our trip next year. First, many things in Jerez are closed on Sunday. There are no horse shows and no horse training on Sunday according to the guide book I have. Many of the bodegas are closed on Sunday, again according to the guide book I have. I only know what I read so if someone has first-hand knowledge that this is not correct, please let us know.

We are overnighting in Cadiz (arriving Sunday morning and leaving Monday at 3pm) so have decided to go to Seville on Sunday. We are not counting on the trains since it is Sunday but are booking transportation and a 3 hr. walking tour, with the remainder of the day on our own. I don't have my research notes in front of me, but I believe you can visit Alcatraz during certain of the morning hours but the Cathedral is not open until the afternoon (2:30pm to 6:30pm). We are going to spend 10 hours (counting transportation to and from) in Seville and returning to the ship Sunday evening. On Monday we will either go to Jerez or walk around Cadiz.

I'm sure whatever we do we will enjoy Spain.

Ooops...don't think you can visit Alcatraz in Spain--I meant Alcazar!

Archived