RCI Freedom Kids Age 11 and 12 - What freedom can we give them

Ariel's Mum

Hi

First time cruiser ;)

From my another post I know that I am unlikely to have my two in the same kids club..... I also have been given some good tips to help us keep in touch with them post it notes, house phone messages etc....

My question really is about how much freedom they can have on board and how much I'll need to supervise them... Lots of individual Qs here so please bear with me. :o

Ok....

I know DS (12) can sign himself in and out of the kids club - can we give permission for DD to sign herself in and out? If not can we give permission for DS to collect DD?

Can they stay in the cabin on their own to watch TV whilst we do something else? They may be so busy that they don't want to do this but just want to know if they are allowed.

Can they wander to the water park on their own or do we need to be with them? What about if they want to go ice-skating or play mini-golf - do they need to be be accompanied by an adult as DD is only 11?

Are they allowed to go buy sodas get ice-cream snack etc on their own?

I know I keep saying on their own but I mean together as I really wouldn't be happy letting one of them wander alone.... Two together is fine.

Sorry this is so long - but grateful for any help and if you have any other tips/advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

At age 9, with parental permission, kids can sign themselves in and out. It's up to YOU how much freedom you give your child.

Yes, kids can be in the cabin alone...they will need to carry their own seapass to access the cabin.

Your kids are of an age where they can pretty much do anything onboard without you there...there are no requirements to have an adult present. It's entirely up to you!

Your 12 year old will not have to sign himself in and out, the teen area is a come and go as you please type place. For the 11 year old you will need to sign that she can sign herself in and out.

Once they have the ability to sign in/out they are pretty much able to go anywhere on the ship. Set ground rules before sailing on what you expect of them so there are no misunderstandings once on board.

Personally if your kids will be drinking soda, I would get them the soda package so they don't need to worry about signing for drinks. Also, one of our rules is never let your drink out of your sight. If this happens my kids know to dump it and get another one. With the soda package they can easily do this.

From various things I have read here on CC and other places I have put together the following 'contract'. Take what you can from it, but the #1 thing to stress is make sure your kids know the rules BEFORE sailing and what consequences will be put in place if they are not obeyed. #2, check up on them once in a while to make sure they are following the rules!

First of all we want all of us to have fun. This should be a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. We hope that noting our expectations and rules before we depart will avoid any misunderstandings on-board. Note that violation of these rules will result in you being required to stay with us or in your cabin and therefore you will not be able to participate in any of the teen activities. These rules are not in place to say that we do not trust you, but to ensure we can all enjoy our trip.

• You are not to enter any cabins other than ours. It does not matter if it is the cabin of a new friend or someone we know (unless one of us expressly approves this).

• No one else is to enter our cabins.

• If you are in your cabin alone – hang the do not disturb sign on the door. This should prevent any RCCL employee from entering. Please ensure you remove it when you leave the room.

• You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by a family member or an RCCL staff member. You are not to drink from anything you have let out of your sight. Some people have been known to slip drugs into other people’s drinks. This is a lifelong rule that should be followed in any social situation.

• We expect to know where you are on the ship. We will use notes in our cabin to let each other know where we can be found.

• You are not to loiter or play in the stairwells, hallways, or elevators. Activities such as “knock and run” or calling other cabins to hang up will not be tolerated.

• We will decide on a curfew each night. The ship’s curfew is 1 AM since you are under 18. We have the right to require you to be in the cabin earlier if we feel the need.

• Your Sea Pass is tied to my credit card. It is to be used only by you. You may not buy other people drinks, snacks, arcade games, or souvenirs. You have a budget of $xx. If you exceed this budget without our approval, you will need to reimburse us.

• If you loose your Seapass you are to immediately notify one of us.

• We expect to eat dinner together most nights. There is flexibility if there is an alternate activity you would prefer to attend as long as we have discussed it in advance (at least that morning).

• If there are kids you would prefer to hang out with instead of the teen club, I need to meet them.

• If you order room service, you must tip the delivery person. We will provide a small amount of money for this.

• If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it then you are “grounded” for the next 24 hours. This means that you must stay with us or in your cabin.

• No visits to the outside areas of the upper deck at night alone.

• Put anything of value into the cabin safe. Cell phones are only to be taken out of the safe when we ask you to. Texts and calls are expensive and not in your budget.

• Do not leave the ship without one of us.

Thanks guys.

That's put my mind at ease. I want them to be able to have the same amount of freedom that I give them at home. The thing I was most worried about was them being separated but they can both go to the kids clubs on the first day/night and then decide whether it's for them. I like the idea that they can go do things alone even just get an ice-cream play gold etc.

I love your contract akcruz and will be adapting it for my two.:D

We just came back from Liberty of the Seas a few weeks ago, our children are 12, 10 and 7. We brought walkie talkie's with us, that worked well. We did pick up other conversations, but we were able to talk to our son. We would shut it off during shows so it didn't disturb other people.

We didn't allow our 10 year old to sign himself out, I don't completely trust him! You know your own children and if they generally are rule followers then it's fine, my 10 year old, not so much. I did allow the boys to go get ice cream together, get a cookie from the promenade, limited freedom, again because of the 10 year old.

My 12 year old had rules, had to check in either at an established place, walkie talkie, or note in the room. He had a curfew. We talked about the no going into other rooms, putting his drink down. Basically, we told him if he failed any of our rules even once, he was with us 24/7 the rest of the cruise. He did great.

The 7 year old was always with my husband or I.

Think of a cruise ship as a small town of 3,000 +/- people...

and you've just moved in. How much freedom would you allow your kids? Would you let them go for ice cream on their own? would you let them go to the community pool on their own? Would you let them go get hamburgers at the McD's on their own? Would you leave them in your new house on their own? Would you let them go to other kid's houses on their own, if you didn't know the parents?

Only you can answer these questions....and decide how much freedom you want your kids to have.

and you've just moved in. How much freedom would you allow your kids? Would you let them go for ice cream on their own? would you let them go to the community pool on their own? Would you let them go get hamburgers at the McD's on their own? Would you leave them in your new house on their own? Would you let them go to other kid's houses on their own, if you didn't know the parents?

Only you can answer these questions....and decide how much freedom you want your kids to have.

Good point - I'll think of it as a small town with all new people and I'll bear in mind the fact that my kids are very responsible, and extremely sensible. Thankfully they obey ground rules so after we've explored the ship together, if they feel comfortable doing things without their parents watching their every move, I'll give them the freedom they ask for.

Thanks again guys,

Hi

First time cruiser ;)

From my another post I know that I am unlikely to have my two in the same kids club..... I also have been given some good tips to help us keep in touch with them post it notes' date=' house phone messages etc....

My question really is about how much freedom they can have on board and how much I'll need to supervise them... Lots of individual Qs here so please bear with me. :o

Ok....

I know DS (12) can sign himself in and out of the kids club - can we give permission for DD to sign herself in and out? YesIf not can we give permission for DS to collect DD? No it must be an adult.

Can they stay in the cabin on their own to watch TV whilst we do something else? They may be so busy that they don't want to do this but just want to know if they are allowed. That is up to your comfort level.

Can they wander to the water park on their own or do we need to be with them? Please remember there are no life guards on duty on a cruise ship. Do you let your kids swim by themselves at home?? What about if they want to go ice-skating or play mini-golf - do they need to be be accompanied by an adult as DD is only 11? Once again is this an activity you would allow them to do by themselves at home?

Are they allowed to go buy sodas get ice-cream snack etc on their own?I do let my DD go to the ice cream machine by herself.

I know I keep saying on their own but I mean together as I really wouldn't be happy letting one of them wander alone.... Two together is fine.

Sorry this is so long - but grateful for any help and if you have any other tips/advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I honestly have let my DD run around the ship with an older friend before but it's only to go get ice cream or run to the room to grab something. Its not that I don't trust my child, I don't trust the strangers on the ship.

Its not that I don't trust my child, I don't trust the strangers on the ship.

Yep, this is it exactly! I trust my kids. It's the rest of the darn ship that I don't trust. :eek:

Sorry Ariel's Mum, you are new here, so you didn't see this when we talked about it when it first happened in June. It happened on Liberty of the Seas, the sister ship to Freedom of the Seas, the same ship you will be on with your children.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/06/24/cruise-passenger-charged-with-fondling-boy-on-ship/

I know DS (12) can sign himself in and out of the kids club - can we give permission for DD to sign herself in and out? YesIf not can we give permission for DS to collect DD? No it must be an adult.

Not true. My ds was quite able to sign out his younger sister when he was 13.

Not true. My ds was quite able to sign out his younger sister when he was 13.

That was an exception and a very poor one at that. Their policy is much stricter even advising that family members over 18 cannot sign the kids out unless they have been pre-authorized by the parents.

Yep, this is it exactly! I trust my kids. It's the rest of the darn ship that I don't trust. :eek:

Sorry Ariel's Mum, you are new here, so you didn't see this when we talked about it when it first happened in June. It happened on Liberty of the Seas, the sister ship to Freedom of the Seas, the same ship you will be on with your children.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/06/24/cruise-passenger-charged-with-fondling-boy-on-ship/

OMG - that's horrible..... Thanks for taking the time to share with me. Gives me more to think about :( ooopps - I mean worry about :eek:

OMG - that's horrible..... Thanks for taking the time to share with me. Gives me more to think about :( ooopps - I mean worry about :eek:

While yes this is a horrible thing to have happen, it is the exception. Sit down with your kids, talk about what is and is not acceptable behavior by them and others. Talk about what to do if they see something they are not sure if right. Talk with your kids, teach them right from wrong, and I am sure they will be fine.

My kids are now 15 & 20. When they were 5 & 10 I would have been nervous about a situation such as this myself. As my kids got older I realized I didn't too bad and that they are smart kids. Keep talking to them, let them know you are there for them, and there won't be anything to worry about!

I know I sound a broken record, but talking with (not to) your kdis does wonders.

Your 12 year old will not have to sign himself in and out, the teen area is a come and go as you please type place. For the 11 year old you will need to sign that she can sign herself in and out.

Once they have the ability to sign in/out they are pretty much able to go anywhere on the ship. Set ground rules before sailing on what you expect of them so there are no misunderstandings once on board.

Personally if your kids will be drinking soda, I would get them the soda package so they don't need to worry about signing for drinks. Also, one of our rules is never let your drink out of your sight. If this happens my kids know to dump it and get another one. With the soda package they can easily do this.

From various things I have read here on CC and other places I have put together the following 'contract'. Take what you can from it, but the #1 thing to stress is make sure your kids know the rules BEFORE sailing and what consequences will be put in place if they are not obeyed. #2, check up on them once in a while to make sure they are following the rules!

First of all we want all of us to have fun. This should be a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. We hope that noting our expectations and rules before we depart will avoid any misunderstandings on-board. Note that violation of these rules will result in you being required to stay with us or in your cabin and therefore you will not be able to participate in any of the teen activities. These rules are not in place to say that we do not trust you, but to ensure we can all enjoy our trip.

• You are not to enter any cabins other than ours. It does not matter if it is the cabin of a new friend or someone we know (unless one of us expressly approves this).

• If you are in your cabin alone – hang the do not disturb sign on the door. This should prevent any RCCL employee from entering. Please ensure you remove it when you leave the room.

• You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by a family member or an RCCL staff member. You are not to drink from anything you have let out of your sight. Some people have been known to slip drugs into other people’s drinks. This is a lifelong rule that should be followed in any social situation.

• We expect to know where you are on the ship. We will use notes in our cabin to let each other know where we can be found.

• You are not to loiter or play in the stairwells, hallways, or elevators. Activities such as “knock and run” or calling other cabins to hang up will not be tolerated.

• We will decide on a curfew each night. The ship’s curfew is 1 AM since you are under 18. We have the right to require you to be in the cabin earlier if we feel the need.

• Your Sea Pass is tied to my credit card. It is to be used only by you. You may not buy other people drinks, snacks, arcade games, or souvenirs. You have a budget of $xx. If you exceed this budget without our approval, you will need to reimburse us.

• We expect to eat dinner together most nights. There is flexibility if there is an alternate activity you would prefer to attend as long as we have discussed it in advance (at least that morning).

• If there are kids you would prefer to hang out with instead of the teen club, I need to meet them.

• If you order room service, you must tip the delivery person. We will provide a small amount of money for this.

• If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it then you are “grounded” for the next 24 hours. This means that you must stay with us or in your cabin.

• Put anything of value into the cabin safe. Cell phones are only to be taken out of the safe when we ask you to. Texts and calls are expensive and not in your budget.

Maybe I am old school or something but this all seems to be a little much for an 11 and 12 year old. There is no way my 11 year old will be in the cabin alone ordering room service when we sail next year with the kids. Last time we went we wanted the freedom to come and go and enjoy ourselves and we left the kids at home.

My two will be 8 and 11 when we sail and they are good, responsible kids. I feel confident saying they would not cause trouble. Would I let them roam the ship with a bunch of strangers? No way no how.

Maybe I am old school or something but this all seems to be a little much for an 11 and 12 year old. There is no way my 11 year old will be in the cabin alone ordering room service when we sail next year with the kids. Last time we went we wanted the freedom to come and go and enjoy ourselves and we left the kids at home.

My two will be 8 and 11 when we sail and they are good, responsible kids. I feel confident saying they would not cause trouble. Would I let them roam the ship with a bunch of strangers? No way no how.

Which is why I said take what you can from it! My kids are now 15 & 20 so it works for us. It never ceases to amaze me on these boards how a lot of posters have a 1 size fits all attitude. Read what is posted, take what works for you and your family and ignore the rest.

and believe me, my kids complain to me all the time about how strict we are in my house, most families wouldn't even think about having rules so I feel that in putting them down on paper and talking to my kids about them I am a 1000 times ahead of most. sorry if I offended but I only give what I get :rolleyes:.

I remember reading the above somewhere before. Thanks for posting this.

NIcole:)

Which is why I said take what you can from it! My kids are now 15 & 20 so it works for us. It never ceases to amaze me on these boards how a lot of posters have a 1 size fits all attitude. Read what is posted, take what works for you and your family and ignore the rest.

and believe me, my kids complain to me all the time about how strict we are in my house, most families wouldn't even think about having rules so I feel that in putting them down on paper and talking to my kids about them I am a 1000 times ahead of most. sorry if I offended but I only give what I get :rolleyes:.

I appologise, I was harsh and did not need to be. It was not your contract really that riled me up, it was the whole question in the first place but I misdirected my feelings. I should not have directed my frustration at your post. I hope you see this reply.

I appologise, I was harsh and did not need to be. It was not your contract really that riled me up, it was the whole question in the first place but I misdirected my feelings. I should not have directed my frustration at your post. I hope you see this reply.

EXCUSE ME - I was asking for advice - I was not asking for YOU to "direct your frustration" at me. :mad:

If my kids were 8 and 11 I would not be asking the question. My son will be 12 (turning 13 the day we disembark). My daughter will be 11 (turning 12 six weeks after we disembark).

I am fairly certain that they are in a better position to be given SOME freedom that an 8 and 11 year old.

Also please bear in mind I specifically stated that they would be TOGETHER -- NOT as you suggest wandering alone amongst a bunch of strangers. :rolleyes:

I give up. I was trying to appologise but I guess here even that is suspect.

And I am sorry but I am sure I am not the only one to find it surprising that someone would allow an 11 and 12 year old to wander on their own, together or not.

If it's a gated community that is well lit 24/7 with paid workers around maybe. In a real community of 3000 you would have problems finding most of the things you mentioned and you would be related to almost everyone. :eek:. With certain guidelines in place and using common sense MY KIDS have done fine. If I had the concerns of some of these posters I would feel like a bad parent taking my kids on these vacation of unknowns. When I can't allow myself basic trust, I don't allow myself to go. I did not trust my children with counselors in the kids club before they could speak clearly and understand my expectation. I never used the kids program until my kids were 4+.

OP- I go to the roll call and get to know a few parents. The first few days I am very vigilant until I notice they have buddies up with other kids. They are instructed to be stay with a friend (mine make friends easily), stay out of the hallways (nothing there worth seeking) and check in either by using a walkie-talkie (eventually I forget it somewhere) or a note in the cabin. I usually have my cabin clean once a day while we are at dinner. I don't want anyone in the cabin when they are alone. Keep in mind the same poster who will tell you that their favorite line is heaven on earth and the answer to the best family vacation is also the one when deemed necessary will scare you that is a cest pool of perverts. Whether or not your kids are starting to drive at home or moving around on their own on a ship, you have to trust and believe there a lot off good decent people in this world, even on cruise ship. Keep in mind some really dreadful things have happened to some parents and now they see evil around every corner...understandable so. My biggest fear on any vacation is that my kids will come across some forum posters!

Ha, studies have shown that strangers do not pose the greatest risk to our kids but the people we trust such as counselors, coaches, friends, and even priest. How much do you know about the couselors in the kids program before signing in your angel and turning your back. Do you trust that the cruise line did a complete and thorough background check. Most of these workers come from places crimes aren't often reported and payoff is easy. How easy would it be for them to earn your kid's trust and take advantage of them. Abuse of kids continue because we are stuck thinking and teaching to fear strangers, which is natural for kids but not UNCLE BUD!

I assume that you don't use these program because that would be trusting your kids with STRANGERS you know very little about...correct?

Odd that there are parents who would leave their kids in the care of strangers, from different background/cultures they know nothing about but won't trust them to get from point A to point B on a ship surrounded by paid staff and some very happy looking people.

OP- I go to the roll call and get to know a few parents. The first few days I am very vigilant until I notice they have buddies up with other kids.

Thanks. That's a great idea.

My biggest fear on any vacation is that my kids will come across some forum posters!
;)

I agree there is a lot to worry :eek: about but I want to give my DS and DD as much freedom as they want and I think is appropriate. I honestly don't believe that letting them play mini golf together or going for an ice cream together means that I am a bad parent.

I have had great advice/information from yourself, akcruz, cruisinmama06, roadtripfanatic and jbrezen. Thanks guys - your help has been much appreciated. :D

Ha, studies have shown that strangers do not pose the greatest risk to our kids but the people we trust such as counselors, coaches, friends, and even priest. How much do you know about the couselors in the kids program before signing in your angel and turning your back. Do you trust that the cruise line did a complete and thorough background check. Most of these workers come from places crimes aren't often reported and payoff is easy. How easy would it be for them to earn your kid's trust and take advantage of them. Abuse of kids continue because we are stuck thinking and teaching to fear strangers, which is natural for kids but not UNCLE BUD!

I assume that you don't use these program because that would be trusting your kids with STRANGERS you know very little about...correct?

Odd that there are parents who would leave their kids in the care of strangers, from different background/cultures they know nothing about but won't trust them to get from point A to point B on a ship surrounded by paid staff and some very happy looking people.

I was including anyone we do not know on the ship as "strangers", not just other pax. I said I was sorry if my post came across as harsh but can we let it go now?

And yes, I am aware we need to be careful with counsellors, coaches, priests etc.

Keep in mind the same poster who will tell you that their favorite line is heaven on earth and the answer to the best family vacation is also the one when deemed necessary will scare you that is a cest pool of perverts.

Yep, that must be me. Yes, I think RCI is a great cruise line for families. But I am realistic. I also think NYC is a great city for families but I am not dropping the kids off in Times Square saying "catch ya later kids, mom needs a martini"

I won't be lounging by the pool drinking smuggled Jack and Coke while I hope the angels are behaving themselves. Everyone thinks "not my kids". My kids would never do that. Until after the cruise and we read about it from the other passengers about the kids who did x,y,z.

And I know who poses the greatest risk to my children. I know the studies. As do most of the parents here. But telling a new cruiser "hey don't worry, it's fine" is just irresponsible. You give her the information and you let her decide. There is crime on cruise ships. As much as on land? No, of course not, but it does happen. Its not a perfect utopia. You should never offer a new cruiser a false sense of security. That's just dangerous.

Archived