How do you prounounce "Nieuw"

sondrad

A lot of pronunciation differences are because of locality.

My friend from New York calls my friend from Texas Brender instead of Brenda. What's up with Yankees adding an "r" to words where they don't belong?

For that matter, what's up with the Yankees adding runs in the game they're playing against the Rangers right now? Adding an "r" or adding runs....both just don't sit well with me. ;)

I have found the opposite.

People from that area are notorious for NOT pronouncing the "R". They will say NEW YORK as is it were NEW YOK.

You know... Sir Bedivere says it rather well in the (in)famous "Roger the Shrubber"/Knights-Who-Say-Ni scene. I tried to find you a link, but alas, work calls.

And as for the Ryndam, I will forever pronounce it with a flamboyantly rolled R-r-r-r-r-r in honor of one of her Captains. :D

Just had the pleasure of sailing with him, Captain Frans Consen, great guy!:)

John:

I have not sailed with him in a long time. I used to catch him on the Statendam but the last time I sailed on her in 2005 he was off the ship. He used to roll his "r's" and the stewards in the dining room used to mimic him!

John:

I have not sailed with him in a long time. I used to catch him on the Statendam but the last time I sailed on her in 2005 he was off the ship. He used to roll his "r's" and the stewards in the dining room used to mimic him!

That, the rolling rrrrrr's, is still happening but not as often because unlike Ryndam, there are no rrrrr's in Statendam;)

40199_470605120728_551215728_6742074_8134227_n.jpg

John:

As I recall he was born in Indonesia. He might even be half Dutch and half Indeonesian.

Yes, born in Indonesia to a Dutch/Suriname (then also a Dutch colony) father and Indonesian Mum! They came to Holland when he was very young and he grew up/went to school there! The guy is a real people's person, always out and about (Lido during breakfast, pier during early AM excursion departures, around the ship), always talking to passengers. His crew loves him!

Archived