How do you prounounce "Nieuw"

sondrad

Still going strong as Thomson Spirit - Her sub-charter to Thomson expires November next year so only time will tell

Ship+Photo+THOMSON+SPIRIT.JPG

On 3 May 2003, and now renamed Thomson Spirit, she operated her first cruise for Thomson Cruises, a Mediterranean itinerary from Palma de Mallorca, one of Spain’s Balearic islands. Thomson Spirit usually sails in the Mediterranean during the northern hemisphere winter season and can be found in Northern and Western Europe in the summer.

Ship+Photo+THOMSON+SPIRIT.jpg

In May 2008, Louis Cruise Lines (renamed Louis Cruises in 2009) acquired Thomson Spirit ship outright from Carnival Corporation with the sub-charter to Thomson continuing until November 2011.

Ship+Photo+THOMSON++SPIRIT.jpg

Ship+Photo+THOMSON++SPIRIT.jpg

Ship+Photo+Thomson+Spirit.jpg

Prinsendam "Princen-dahm" as in "Prince"

Statendam "St-ah-ten-dahm" as in "say Aah"

Maasdam "Maahs-dahm" as in "say Ahh"

Ryndam "Rhine-dahm" as in wine

Veendam "Veyn-dahm" as in "hey"

Rotterdam "Rott-ehr-dahm" as in Rotweiler

Amsterdam "Ahm-ster-dahm"

Volendam "Vohl-en-dahm" as in "Foal"

Zaandam "Zahn-dahm" as in "say Aah"

Zuiderdam "Z eye-der-dahm"

Oosterdam "Oasterdahm" as in Toast but drop the "T"

Westerdam "West-ehr-dahm"

Noordam "Nor-dahm" as in More

Eurodam "Uh-row-dahm" as in "Uhhh"

Nieuw Amsterdam "Kneew Ahm-ster-dahm", as in Knee + a soft"w"

Klinkt wel eng hoor op deze manier,maar goed gedaan.

Well done.

Klinkt wel eng hoor op deze manier,maar goed gedaan.

Well done.

Net als vroeger in het Enge Bos:eek: met Meneer de Uil en Uruburu/Just like the old times in the "Scary Forrest" (Dutch TV show in the sixties/seventies?) with Mister Owl and Uruburu (The Raven) and, oh, I almost forgot 'Bor' de wolf!

John:

Thanks for sharing the History of Nieuw Amsterdam III. Both the story and the pictures were excellent and I enjoyed both very much. My first HAL ship was the Nieuw Amsterdam and that was in November 1996. I was sailing between Cozomel and Grand Cayman the Night President Clinton beat Bob Dole.

John and Ine and VermeulT and Boyjie -- I always say Vesterdahm, mainly because I pose as an international sophisticate and absorb the local accent like a sponge. I found myself laughing in an English accent while talking to an English friend. Anyway, our Captain on the Westerdam called her the Vesterdahm. The W is almost always a V in other, non-English languages, isn't it? Am I being picky here?

Mrs M (note I leave the period off after "Mrs" like the British do. What a poseur!)

Anyway, our Captain on the Westerdam called her the Vesterdahm. The W is almost always a V in other, non-English languages, isn't it? Am I being picky here?

Mrs M (note I leave the period off after "Mrs" like the British do. What a poseur!)

kinda yeah....

John and Ine and VermeulT and Boyjie -- I always say Vesterdahm, mainly because I pose as an international sophisticate and absorb the local accent like a sponge. I found myself laughing in an English accent while talking to an English friend. Anyway, our Captain on the Westerdam called her the Vesterdahm. The W is almost always a V in other, non-English languages, isn't it? Am I being picky here?

OK Mrs Bouquet ;)

Pronouncing it like that - Vesterdahm - nails it also

Prinsendam "Princen-dahm" as in "Prince"

Statendam "St-ah-ten-dahm" as in "say Aah"

Maasdam "Maahs-dahm" as in "say Ahh"

Ryndam "Rhine-dahm" as in wine

Veendam "Veyn-dahm" as in "hey"

Rotterdam "Rott-ehr-dahm" as in Rotweiler

Amsterdam "Ahm-ster-dahm"

Volendam "Vohl-en-dahm" as in "Foal"

Zaandam "Zahn-dahm" as in "say Aah"

Zuiderdam "Z eye-der-dahm"

Oosterdam "Oasterdahm" as in Toast but drop the "T"

Westerdam "West-ehr-dahm"

Noordam "Nor-dahm" as in More

Eurodam "Uh-row-dahm" as in "Uhhh"

Nieuw Amsterdam "Kneew Ahm-ster-dahm", as in Knee + a soft"w"

Awe Copper - you are like our own personal dictionary! Thanks.:cool:

Ik kom uit Den Haag, en wij spreken Zuiderdam iets anders uit, mooie stad achter de Duinen.....;)

He said:

"I'm from The Hague, and we pronounce Zuiderdam a bit different. Beautiful City behind the dunes and, btw, Eurodam is a great ship;)"

Den Haag, beetje deftig!/The Hague, a bit upper crusty (or so they like to think!) Amsterdam + Rotterdam are more "labor towns" and they both have their own accents & pronounciation

A lot of pronunciation differences are because of locality.

My friend from New York calls my friend from Texas Brender instead of Brenda. What's up with Yankees adding an "r" to words where they don't belong?

For that matter, what's up with the Yankees adding runs in the game they're playing against the Rangers right now? Adding an "r" or adding runs....both just don't sit well with me. ;)

He said:

"I'm from The Hague, and we pronounce Zuiderdam a bit different. Beautiful City behind the dunes and, btw, Eurodam is a great ship;)"

Den Haag, beetje deftig!/The Hague, a bit upper crusty (or so they like to think!) Amsterdam + Rotterdam are more "labor towns" and they both have their own accents & pronounciation

A friend that lived in Den Haag many years ago called it a 'koue k** stad' which I believe translated to the same thing. :)

A lot of pronunciation differences are because of locality.

My friend from New York calls my friend from Texas Brender instead of Brenda. What's up with Yankees adding an "r" to words where they don't belong?

For that matter, what's up with the Yankees adding runs in the game they're playing against the Rangers right now? Adding an "r" or adding runs....both just don't sit well with me. ;)

Darn but we Can't win.

People from Boston are often told they don't pronounce 'r's'. You hear them where you don't want them. :D

Maybe us folks from up north think the folks from the south have an odd pronounciation. Remind me....... where was it the Mayflower landed? :D :D :)

And while we're at it...... What's with the Yankees bit? We're RED SOX Fans!!!! Go Sox

You know... Sir Bedivere says it rather well in the (in)famous "Roger the Shrubber"/Knights-Who-Say-Ni scene. I tried to find you a link, but alas, work calls.

And as for the Ryndam, I will forever pronounce it with a flamboyantly rolled R-r-r-r-r-r in honor of one of her Captains. :D

Archived