Is it ok to share a beverage package?

Mr. Luckytoo

Is it acceptable to share a beverage package?  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable to share a beverage package?

• It is never ok, it's theft
    • It's not right but sharing a drink a few times is ok
    • Its ok because I don't drink that much everyday
    • I know it's probably not ok but I'll probably share with my spouse
    • It's ok because Celebrity makes enough money
    • I never reall thought about it

RCCL cancelled the drink packages on sailings from the uk because they were being abused.

On my last cruise I had to make it clear to the bar steward to charge some drinks to my seapass card as the drinks were for other family members.

Folks will always try to scam, and coming on here and asking is it OK somehow gives comfort. They know it is wrong otherwise why ask?

I just wish some of the bar staff would grow some and confiscate the cards.

Edited by swigso

RCCL cancelled the drink packages on sailings from the uk because they were being abused.

On my last cruise I had to make it clear to the bar steward to charge some drinks to my seapass card as the drinks were for other family members.

Folks will always try to scam, and coming on here and asking is it OK somehow gives comfort. They know it is wrong otherwise why ask?

Because they're unclear, see the ambiguity, and are seeking clarification.

In fact, the more salient question is "if someone were really determined to willfully violate the policy, why on earth would they bother to ask?"

I think one can reasonably assume that RCCL cancelled the drink packages because they didn't deem them sufficiently profitable; it seems quite a leap to assume that the decision was made because it was perceived as being abused.

And if the issue is 'abuse' (as distinct from an explicit 'policy violation'), one could say that people who willfully over-indulge, simply because they have an all-inclusive card, are abusing the package. Would that behavior also be wrong?

The difference is that (1) there is no rule that says one can not eat all the food they want and (2) the drink packages have a rule attached that you can not share, per the attached from Celebrity's site: Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package.

FYI, I did not bold the word shared, it is this way on Celebrity's site.

Now, do you think it is okay to sneak a cigarette in a cabin or balcony?

OK are we talking about food or drinks. my husband always gets two appetizers at eery dinner especially on formal night. I seldom get any appetizer so what's the big dea. he gets two shrimp coctails ebry night and two lobster tails on lobster night. That is the only reason we get dressed up for formal night. Cruise lines want to make their passengers happy and full and if you cannot order extra food then there is no reason to cruise. We love the food on cruises is another reason why we cruise. You are being petty about the food issue. :cool:

Yes on the cigarettes. If it bothers me, I'll knock on their door and politely ask them to stop. Yes also on the chair hogs. If a chair is vacant for hours, however, I might just take it for myself. Every one of us do something at some point that annoys someone else. Part of living in and sharing the world with others is tolerating behaviors you might not otherwise do yourselves. I take a very dim view of snitches.

Since you take a very dim view of snitches, I would bet that if the person next to you continues to smoke, you would never ever turn them in.

So you are saying some rules are meant to not be broken (smoking and chair hogs), but only if it bothers you. But others like sharing drink packages is okay to break because you get some benefit from breaking the rule. That is what I don't understand. I don't like all the rules, but am not just going to break the ones that I feel I will get something from. I feel that if it is okay to share drink packages, it is okay to smoke where ever you want, hog chairs for as long as you want, etc., I don't think there is a conditional rule breaking rule....if you can break one, then everyone should be able to break them all. Part of living in and sharing the world is abiding by the rules set forth for us.

Doesn't look bold on my screen!

I wonder why if it's such a big deal to Celebrity, they don't put these terms in a much more prominent place. Hell, it's in the fine print!

Go to Celebrity's site. In the search area type can I share my drink package, look the the related question...shared is clearly bold!

OK are we talking about food or drinks. my husband always gets two appetizers at eery dinner especially on formal night. I seldom get any appetizer so what's the big dea. he gets two shrimp coctails ebry night and two lobster tails on lobster night. That is the only reason we get dressed up for formal night. Cruise lines want to make their passengers happy and full and if you cannot order extra food then there is no reason to cruise. We love the food on cruises is another reason why we cruise. You are being petty about the food issue. :cool:

I did not bring up the food issue. I was asked if I thought the same about someone having 10 plates, as I do sharing the drink package. I said that having as much food as you want is not against any rules. So I did not feel that they were the same. So by all means, have as many appetizers and entrees as you would like, no one is questioning it.

Go to Celebrity's site. In the search area type can I share my drink package, look the the related question...shared is clearly bold!

It's only bold because "shared" is a conjugation of "share" which is one of your search terms...

I searched "disembarked" and got this:

Time to disembark varies based on how long it takes the ship to clear customs. If you do not find what you're looking for, please select another Subject Category or try the Keyword Search.

• 2 years later...
Since you take a very dim view of snitches, I would bet that if the person next to you continues to smoke, you would never ever turn them in.

So you are saying some rules are meant to not be broken (smoking and chair hogs), but only if it bothers you. But others like sharing drink packages is okay to break because you get some benefit from breaking the rule. That is what I don't understand. I don't like all the rules, but am not just going to break the ones that I feel I will get something from. I feel that if it is okay to share drink packages, it is okay to smoke where ever you want, hog chairs for as long as you want, etc., I don't think there is a conditional rule breaking rule....if you can break one, then everyone should be able to break them all. Part of living in and sharing the world is abiding by the rules set forth for us.

I think common sense needs to be considered here. Neither my husband nor I are drinkers... I may have a glass of wine with dinner and a frosty drink while sitting pool side - but will probably purchase the premium drink package as the vitawater, smoothies, sparkling water are also included. I will not hit the drink "Break even" even once...meaning Celebrity will be making substantial profit off of me.. daily. So if my husband wants a beer poolside one day - should we purchase out of pocket? The way I see it.. I have basically paid for 9 drinks for that day and will probably use 2 on alcohol and 3 or so non-alcohol. How I choose to use those nine drinks should be up to me. If I exceed what I have paid for and share drinks than yes, its taking advantage. I know this will stir response so let me offer the alternative. If I chose not to buy the drink package and instead purchase those drinks (including hubbys beer) I would walk off the cruise with $200 left in pocket from what I saved by not purchasing the package. I think Celebrity is happier to have me purchase the package!

As for the comparison above, both of the examples given (smoking and chair hogging) physically impact other guests. Breathing in someones smoke, or not being able to relax poolside is different. A comparison may be, going to one of the "for fee" restaurants not finishing your meal and bringing the dessert back to share with someone that did not pay to go to the restaurant.

Edited by shanaid73

I think common sense needs to be considered here. Neither my husband nor I are drinkers... I may have a glass of wine with dinner and a frosty drink while sitting pool side - but will probably purchase the premium drink package as the vitawater, smoothies, sparkling water are also included. I will not hit the drink "Break even" even once...meaning Celebrity will be making substantial profit off of me.. daily. So if my husband wants a beer poolside one day - should we purchase out of pocket? The way I see it.. I have basically paid for 9 drinks for that day and will probably use 2 on alcohol and 3 or so non-alcohol. How I choose to use those nine drinks should be up to me. If I exceed what I have paid for and share drinks than yes, its taking advantage. I know this will stir response so let me offer the alternative. If I chose not to buy the drink package and instead purchase those drinks (including hubbys beer) I would walk off the cruise with $200 left in pocket from what I saved by not purchasing the package. I think Celebrity is happier to have me purchase the package!

As for the comparison above, both of the examples given (smoking and chair hogging) physically impact other guests. Breathing in someones smoke, or not being able to relax poolside is different. A comparison may be, going to one of the "for fee" restaurants not finishing your meal and bringing the dessert back to share with someone that did not pay to go to the restaurant.

So with that anology----it is ok to go into a grocery store, buy ur normal groceries...but steal a chocolate bar.....as they have already made a profit from you!

Celebritys pkg is not based on how many drinks--if so they would offer a punch card......

In your case, why on earth would you buy the premium package??? Just buy the non alcohol package and purchase the one or two alcoholic drinks you consume per day. Just because you are not using what you feel you are entitled to, does not give you the right to abuse the system in my book.

Is it Throwback Thursday??? Why are y'all commenting on a 4 year old poll?

Not that it isn't something talked about often around here....just...there may be more current threads.

Because each time someone asks a question on drink packages, dress code, cabin placement etc. they are told to search the forum before asking a question that has been asked already. People search the forums ... old threads get found ... old threads get responded to.

I agree with the PP that a thread start date on the main page would be helpful!

Good on that person for using the search feature!!! So many just keep asking the same question over and over again! I was away from the board for like 1.5 yrs.....And it was if 1 had never left....many of the same questions asked again,lol Probably why I forgot to look at the date. :D

I'm just saying that we can't tell everyone to use the search feature and then complain when old threads get resurrected.

Personally, I have no issue when old questions get re-asked. I prefer that to people getting their heads chopped off when they ask a question or too old threads getting resurrected.

It's not highly debatable. There's right, and there's wrong.

I don't go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and pay for one person, then let my husband eat the food I can't finish because I didn't like it or I took too much, or whatever excuse exists - and giving him the food is considered theft by the justice system.

If you graduated from the police academy, are you saying that if a restaurant owner called you because someone stole food from them in the manner I described above, you'd refuse to arrest them? The DA might want to discuss that with you.

This is one of the more extreme posts I have ever read. Who cares? Everyone shares drinks and everyone eats form other people's plates in buffets. It's so know, that it's actually factored into the prices. And it's statistical.

But everyone has their line.

The above opinion is what's makes cops scary, to me.

It's not black and white, but gray. Who of us drives over 55 mph? Well, basically, everyone. The cops sort of pull over ppl driving 10 miles over the speed limit and look for ppl driving a lot faster.

So by that example...there's about a 20% slush factor.

But I am amazed by the holy judgmentlism in this thread. It doesn't represent our society....

This is a gray area where too much is over the line and a little or whatever is negligible and fine. And really, who cares? This concept of stealing some sips of a 10x marked up beverage is just not a real concept of stealing. It's pennies and peanuts.

"This is one of the more extreme posts I have ever read. Who cares? Everyone shares drinks"

No, everyone does not share their drinks, and the cruise line does care (as do the shareholders). If you are seen sharing your drinks, it is likely that you will lose your dearly-paid-for drinks package.

"This is a gray area where too much is over the line and a little or whatever is negligible and fine. And really, who cares? This concept of stealing some sips of a 10x marked up beverage is just not a real concept of stealing. It's pennies and peanuts."

Reminds me of the punch line of that old joke "Now we know what you are, we're just haggling over the price":):)

If too many people share their bev packages then X will follow the lead of some other cruise lines and make everyone in the cabin get the package. We had to do that on NCL, and I resented it because my kids only drink water and, when on a cruise, one mocktail a day, and on NCL, bottled water is not included. I was not going to give them Pepsi products all day just because we had that package.

Some people seem to have the mentality that if they paid $60/day for their drinks package (or whatever the cost is these days) then they are entitled to $60 worth of drinks per day, and if they don't drink that much, they have a right to share their package with someone else to reach that number. I don't see it that way. The cruise line banks on some people drinking more than the cost of the package and some less.

[quote name='soxfan2013']This is one of the more extreme posts I have ever read. Who cares? Everyone shares drinks and everyone eats form other people's plates in buffets. It's so know, that it's actually factored into the prices. And it's statistical.

But everyone has their line.

The above opinion is what's makes cops scary, to me.

It's not black and white, but gray. Who of us drives over 55 mph? Well, basically, everyone. The cops sort of pull over ppl driving 10 miles over the speed limit and look for ppl driving a lot faster.

So by that example...there's about a 20% slush factor.

But I am amazed by the holy judgmentlism in this thread. It doesn't represent our society....

This is a gray area where too much is over the line and a little or whatever is negligible and fine. And really, who cares? This concept of stealing some sips of a 10x marked up beverage is just not a real concept of stealing. It's pennies and peanuts.[/QUOTE]
So let's say you own a buffet restaurant, and 20% of your customers paid for one meal, and then shared it with their spouse, who did not pay. Being a buffet, it was all you can eat, so no limits on the amounts consumed. Would you be okay with that as the business owner?