Where to eat in Candado(sp?) area?

We'll be at the marriot in condado in Oct, and the three restaurants that are on my option list are tijuanas's, El Jibarito, and raices. They all have web sites. never had puerto rican food so that is tops on my list, but I know margaritas and mexican food always hits the spot and Tijuanas sounds like it is right across the street.

If you are in Old San Juan the Hard Rock Cafe sounds like it is there.

Cadado and Old San Juan are close but maybe a short(8 min?) taxi ride? Just going by what I read on these boards. Not sure if it is an easy walk. Can somebody verify?

Cadado and Old San Juan are close but maybe a short(8 min?) taxi ride? Just going by what I read on these boards. Not sure if it is an easy walk. Can somebody verify?

It is not walking distance (unless you are a long distance marathon pro runner)

We'll be at the marriot in condado in Oct, and the three restaurants that are on my option list are tijuanas's, El Jibarito, and raices. They all have web sites. never had puerto rican food so that is tops on my list, but I know margaritas and mexican food always hits the spot and Tijuanas sounds like it is right across the street.

If you are in Old San Juan the Hard Rock Cafe sounds like it is there.

No, not walking distance, but the bus is much cheaper. The busses stop running about 9 or 10 at night. It is very easy to catch a bus to OSJ, then if it gets to late, take a taxi back.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you are staying at the Marriott Stellaris, why not give Ummo's a try. Great Argentinian beef and empanadas. It's two blocks to the left of the Marriott.

I love the information on this thread so hate to see it die until my cruise is over, then I will post my eating opinions.

If you are looking for a really cheap meal there is Ponderosa Steakhouse restaurant in walking distance from Condado. I don't know the address, you have to go south, pass under a highway and walk maybe 2-3 minutes. You will see a large plaza on your left. The restaurant is right at the plaza.

If you are looking for a really cheap meal there is Ponderosa Steakhouse restaurant in walking distance from Condado. I don't know the address, you have to go south, pass under a highway and walk maybe 2-3 minutes. You will see a large plaza on your left. The restaurant is right at the plaza.

Not really looking for cheap. We want to try PR local food. We will try to stay away from chains unless there is nothing else. It looks like there is alot of options in walking distance from our hotel.

From the Marriott Stellaris, if you walk to the right there are a number of PR Restaurants on the Left side of the street. Cafe del Angel is good. We also ate at a restaurant a few doors down from there called Orozco's. Had breakfast and dinner there. Liked it better than Cafe del Angel. Also had meat patties from a vendor near the park that were very good.

there is a terrific restaurant called Pikayo. They used to be at the art museum and Wilo Benet is considered the best chef on the island. It might be a little more that $100 for 2 but worth it. Our cruise runs from 1-11 pm in SJ and I'll book that restaurant raher than eat on the ship.

close to the Doubletree hotel in Condado there is a restaurant that locals love to go, it is always packed and it is an all puerto rican cuisine restaurant (i can't name it due to forum rules)

It is perfectly okay to mention a restaurant that you had a good experience with especially if it is in answer to a request. Please name the restaurant.

If you are staying at the Marriott Stellaris, why not give Ummo's a try. Great Argentinian beef and empanadas. It's two blocks to the left of the Marriott.

I would second giving Ummo's a try. We ate there before leaving on our S. Caribbean cruise last year and loved it. Had a table outside, good wine, and great food. We had the meat sampler. Came to us with its own little fire underneath. Loved it.

Tim

My dh just loves Morton's. They are having a special in December when we are there. How difficult is it to catch a bus from the Marriott Stellaris to the Caribe Hilton? How much walking is involved to catch the busses. We like to do the busses now and then to get a feel of the community. Your help is appreciated.

OC Pat

This is a Wilo Benet restaurant located in the Condado Plaza Hotel. I was told that it is a casual, inexpensive restaurant and the slow roasted pork in the skin is to die for! Yummm:D I cannot wait to go there. The hotel is located at 999 Ashford Avenue. The website address is http://www.wilobenet.com and you can view the Varita's menu.

This is a Wilo Benet restaurant located in the Condado Plaza Hotel. I was told that it is a casual, inexpensive restaurant and the slow roasted pork in the skin is to die for! Yummm:D I cannot wait to go there. The hotel is located at 999 Ashford Avenue. The website address is http://www.wilobenet.com and you can view the Varita's menu.

Now that sounds delicous and inexpensive?

Archived