spend on balcony or "other"?

buffkids

As I’ve chronicled through varios posts here, my first cruise (7 nights in the Eastern Caribbean) is booked for next April for my husband and I - no kids. I have a semi-hypothetical question for you. If you had your choice of either: 1) a balcony stateroom – not a suite, just a balcony – or 2) dinner at a few of the specialty restaurants, a week-long spa access pass, and perhaps a few extra drinks; which would you choose? I think we’ll end up with “all of the above,” but my husband and I are thinking about where we will get the most bang for our buck on our first cruise, and we’re wondering if the balcony should be our first priority.

And, yes, I know there’s a lot of “it depends…do you want to hang out in your room, or …..” I’m really curious though about what you all feel makes for the happiest cruise moments for you J thanks!

Balcony, definitely. Our first cruise we had a balcony and it was wonderful. You can sit out there and relax. The one time we didn't have a balcony (on the Majesty) we just didn't enjoy our cruise as much. You can save lots by ordering the bar set up and the Romance package...and have it all. Congratulations on your first cruise!:)

For me a balcony is a must have! It's a great to have your own private place to just kick back and relax. My favorite time is when I first get up to just sit out and listen to the water as the ship sails along.:D:D

I do enjoy having the balcony at my disposal, but if you forced me to choose between your two scenarios, I would pick "2". I have cruised a number of times in an inside cabin and still thoroughly enjoyed the cruises. Without the balcony, I would just spend more time out and about on the ship, which is fine by me. If you need the cost savings for extras like the specialty restaurants, then I would sacrifice the balcony.

I'm no cruiser, first cruise was an inside because of cost (Honeymoon). 2nd was an Oceanview and now we are going to try a Balcony. The amount of time we spent in the room on the first two cruises will have to increase on this one if the balcony is worth it.

I loved the inside, could catch a quick nap anytime during the day (I like it dark).

Oceanview we just learned they rotate the ship on which side it docks, the hardway, lets just leave it at that.

We had a balcony on our first NCL cruise but to Alaska ($$$) we just couldn't afford it, so we got an inside cabin. We were so happy with the inside cabin experience, I think we'll stick with it for future cruises, even if they're cheaper routes. It can save you a lot of money and it encourages you to get out of the tiny room and explore the ship and all it has to offer. In our case, having an inside cabin meant we could use the money for shore excursions instead. So, I personally would choose option #2.

With a balcony you can sit, enjoy a cocktail in your room, catch some rays and watch the late comers running (huffing & puffing) back to the ship just before departure. It is my partner's favorite afternoon entertainment! We even saw a couple actually miss the ship once. Sail away is beautiful as is sitting on your balcony in the morning coming into port, all without having to dress to go on deck. A year from today, Lord willing, we will be sailing out of Honolulu for a 7 day cruise of the Hawaiian islands, our first time. We also have a balcony cruise out of New Orleans planned for November as today's birthday present! :D

Balcony without question. You have your own space where you can sit, relax, eat, drink, smoke, wear your bathrobe and watch the world go by whilst 'doing your own thing'.

Once you have had room service deliver your coffee in the morning and watched the sun come up over the sea whilst drinking it, you will not want to go inside again.

Everyone needs their own space and when that space has sea air and a magical view...

Once you have had room service deliver your coffee in the morning and watched the sun come up over the sea whilst drinking it, you will not want to go inside again.

This is why I am hoping desperately for a miracle balcony price drop on my Jewel sailing (not expecting it though). That was the only way I was able to get the balcony on the Spirit last spring.

If I had to choose it would be the extra's outside the room.

I splurged for two balconies and 3 inside this time. Funny I spent a lot of time outside enjoy the views in the morning and evening. I had a nice view of a lot of other balconies, couldn't figure where everyone was, and the weather was great to. In reflection, could have had a few thousand in my pocket and the same great memories and experience, but that is me.

Call me cheap or call me practical, beside a sitting area and the ability to take a deep breath of ocean air before you go to sleep or wake up in your PJs I've found everything I would do on the balcony doable on the thousand and thousand of feet open space on the free decks.

As I’ve chronicled through varios posts here, my first cruise (7 nights in the Eastern Caribbean) is booked for next April for my husband and I - no kids. I have a semi-hypothetical question for you. If you had your choice of either: 1) a balcony stateroom – not a suite, just a balcony – or 2) dinner at a few of the specialty restaurants, a week-long spa access pass, and perhaps a few extra drinks; which would you choose? I think we’ll end up with “all of the above,” but my husband and I are thinking about where we will get the most bang for our buck on our first cruise, and we’re wondering if the balcony should be our first priority.

And, yes, I know there’s a lot of “it depends…do you want to hang out in your room, or …..” I’m really curious though about what you all feel makes for the happiest cruise moments for you J thanks!

We had an inside cabin on our first cruise and did the extras that you mentioned. We had a wonderful time! We were debating about a balcony for our next, but DH & I agree our cabin was just fine and we would like to do the extras again. We so enjoyed the spa package!!

I do have bad asthma and we are afraid to get second hand smoke on our balcony. Actually because of my asthma we rarely spent time on the open decks, which was a little disappointing. I don't want to spend so much more on a cabin you are not in a lot of the time and not be able to enjoy our own private space.

Our favorite quiet space on the Dawn was the card room. It was hardly ever crowded, we watched the ocean go by and just relaxed!

Balcony! I could not imagine cruising in an inside cabin (but that is just my opinion). I love to sit on the balcony and read, take a nap, or just stand by the rail and look out at the sea. My husband and I also get the best sleep ever with our door open.

On our upcoming cruise on the Jewel we decided to try an AFT balcony. I can't wait to experience the sight and sound of the wake - especially at night! I also like being able to go "outside" in my robe without having to get dressed.

I prefer to spend less on shore excursions and have a nicer room. OK, so it isn't a suite, but it is still a nice room! I prefer to eat in the MDR's to help hold cost down too. We do try one or two specialty restaurants (the French and Italian restaurants), but all of our other meals are included by going to the MDR, Blue Lagoon, ordering room service or going to the buffet (hardly ever, just don't care for buffets, not that the food is bad).

Good luck with your decision! Have a great cruise!

. . . We also have a balcony cruise out of New Orleans planned for November as today's birthday present! :D
Happy Birthday (I think)! :D:D

I'm with the balcony lovers. We had one inside, and thank goodness it was on a 3-day repo. We went stir crazy. We LOVE to spend time in our cabin and out on the balcony. I'm out there coming into and leaving every port, every morning and evening to see the sun rise and set, reading during the day . . . ahhhhhhhh.

The only time we will book an inside is for a 1-night cruise, and even then it's hard. I would rather "Cruise_Less_Often" than give up my balcony! :D

For me, without question a balcony. I can get good food, see shows, go to a spa, all close to my home.

Where else can you get your own private balcony while cruising on the ocean to drink some coffee in the morning, read a book or listen to music in the afternoon, or sip on a cocktail in the evening. "Escaping" to your room without a balcony IMHO as I've been in an inside room before isn't escaping, it's only a stop-off point. The view whether it be watching the water go by or watching port activity - no where else in privacy but a balcony.

Without question, for us it would be balcony.

Even if you just open the door to the balcony it makes the room seem so much larger.

The breeze, the smell of the ocean, the wonderful fresh air, coffee in the mornings on the privacy of your own balcony, a cold beverage in the afternoon or evening, even the "sail away" is great on your own balcony...

No....we would eat hamburgers all week rather than give up our balcony.

If you think you will be in your room a lot then go with the balcony. We had one for our first cruise to Bermuda last year and were hardly in it. Plus it was always in the sun and very hot. I had an inside on my last cruise in Feb to the Caribbean for 10 days and it was great. This time going back to Bermuda with an inside again. You will save money with the inside and be able to cruise more often. Only you can make the decision. What ever you pick i am sure you will have a great time.

Cruising many times, we have stayed in the most lavish of suites (but never a villa), corner balcony rooms, standard ocean view, and even the smallest inside you could find! In other words, we tried them all, except a villa.

We now book our room type on value (not cost), and prefer insides. We actually wish lines had inside suites!

The ship has many large public balcony (outdoor) areas that offer superior views as compared to the standard balcony cabin.

Your second choice is a better value, and this is your first cruise so you will have nothing to compare it to.

Balcony absolutely. Especially for an Alaska cruise. My husband suggested we try an inside cabin. No way. I said, being the terrible person that I am, one of our bathrooms has no windows, we could just spend a week in there for free!! Yuk!! :D:D:D

Archived