Cruising Millennium with 6 mth old baby

leedsmum

We are cruising from San Juan in October on a 11 night port intensive cruise.

We have cruised a lot but never with a baby....Can anyone give us any tips that you've gained from experience?

If you've done it, is there anything you know now that you wished you'd known before you sailed? Is there anything you wished you'd taken with you that you didn't?

We are flying from the UK so have the added problem of packing restrictions...oh it all sounded such a good idea when we booked it :)

Many thanks in advance

michelle

You are going to have a very different cruise experience. Family time being the key here. I hope you booked a balcony so that you and your spouse can spend some time together while the little one sleeps. Unfortunately, your little one is too young for the babysitting services. I'm not sure how your baby travels. That will determine if you can take any excursions. Please check them since most of them do have age restrictions. The best part is no cooking or cleaning for you.

You will have to bring everything with you as Celebrity does not have things like nappies, wipes, powder or any baby care items. You will be with the child 24/7 because Celebrity does not allow babysitting to those under the age of 12 months. You will also need to bring any medications that you MIGHT need because the medical center is not equipped for taking care of infants. I hope baby sleeps well through the night because cabin walls are very thin and your neighbors will hear a crying infant very easily. Remember to discuss everything with you baby's doctor, such as using sunscreen and bug repellant. There is a very big outbreak of Dengue Fever in the Caribbean, and infants who do not have full immune systems are very vulnerable. Sunscreen should not be used by infants under 9 months of age, so you will have to be very careful of the sun, which is very harsh on young skin. Infants can burn in five minutes.

We have cruised a lot but never with a baby....Can anyone give us any tips that you've gained from experience?

If you've done it, is there anything you know now that you wished you'd known before you sailed? Is there anything you wished you'd taken with you that you didn't?

We are flying from the UK so have the added problem of packing restrictions...oh it all sounded such a good idea when we booked it :)

Many thanks in advance

michelle

First traveling with a baby is a lot of work. Been there done that. Just from my previous experience you will pack more for the baby than you pack for yourself. So a few hints

1. Carry extra formula & water( if not nursing) & changes for baby -& prehaps a change of top for mom. Also have several plastic bags in your diaper bag ( for soiled things)

2.Arrange for a pvt transfer to meet you @ the airport. Have the driver take you to a Walmart, Pharmacy or similar (google) to purchase disposable diapers,baby food, sunscreen etc. It will be less $ than paying for the overweight from the UK

3.Be sure that stroller(carriage) has a sunshade.

Be aware that most swimming pools will not allow anyone in diapers in the pool.

Check with the ship to determine IF babysitting service is available-so you & DH can have a quiet meal.

That being said, enjoy your vacation with a 6 month old you probably need it

Carole

Many thanks in advance

michelle

I have done it and survived, but barely.

First of all, if you have someone who is coming along with you (not your husband) who can help you out with babysitting then it may work out better for you than it did for me.

When my daughter was six months old I was still breastfeeding her and we (women) know that babies do not care at all about our schedules only their hungry tummies. We dined in MDR (not a good choice but at that time there were not many other venues) and my baby would get hysterical due to all the noise, people and the low ceilings with lights everywhere. My husband had to leave the table each day and walk outside the MDR to quiet her down but as soon as she was back she would start screaming again. The staff was very helpful but the other passengers were NOT amused (and who could blame them; their dinner hour was always spoiled by a screaming baby). So, my advice to you is to choose a much more casual dining option and go there when the baby is fed and hopefully sleeping.

As far as tours and sightseeing, if you can possibly arrange for babysitting (Celebrity's Children's Program does not take children under 3 and/or wearing diapers) then you should definitely opt for that rather than bringing the baby with you. I can tell you that it will drastically reduce your enjoyment.

Also, you may want to bring quite a few changes of clothes for the baby. There is no self service laundry on Celebrity and it gets quite expensive to have them do it. If you are bottle feeding, bring enough formula so that you don't run out and have to buy something that your baby is not used to and which can cause stomach upset. Also, use boiled water for mixing formula to avoid any possible health problems. The only thing worse than being sick yourself on a cruise is dealing with a sick baby.

I am sure you can still have a great time but just need to keep a few more details in mind when planning just about anything.

I can't imagine being able to enjoy a cruise with a six month old baby!!!! Just the heat and intensity of the Caribbean sun is a negative for a baby so young. No matter how "good" the baby might be, all babies cry and this is most unfair to the passengers in the neighboring cabins, especially if it occurs late at night or early in the morning. Be aware that the baby will not be able to use any of the pools, including those in the children's area. I wish you well.

GeorgeL, Celebrity does not have babysitting for any child under 12 months of age. No in cabin sitting or group sitting. The OP will be with the baby all the time, even on tours. Personally, I can't see flying 8 or 9 hours with a 6 month old. Plus, odds are that this infant will be in distress due to the time change.

Maybe it's just me but does anyone else get concerned about traveling with an 6-month old infant? Just the plane travel alone with all the germs and since little ones don't have a healthy immune system...A lady in our office gets sick each and every time she flies.

Heaven forbid there is a norovirus outbreak and the little one comes down with it. I highly doubt the ships medical center would have pedo IV's so that mean you'll likely have to get off the ship. I just think the risk far outweighs any benefit from the vacation.

GeorgeL, Celebrity does not have babysitting for any child under 12 months of age. No in cabin sitting or group sitting. The OP will be with the baby all the time, even on tours. Personally, I can't see flying 8 or 9 hours with a 6 month old. Plus, odds are that this infant will be in distress due to the time change.

I do know that Celebrity does not have babysitting service available. It used to have it but not anymore. However, I was not referring to Celebrity in my comments. I was talking about perhaps asking someone who may be traveling with the OP. That is why the first thing I mentioned in my post was the hope that the OP was traveling with someone in addition to her husband such as in-laws, sisters, friends, etc.

Maybe it's just me but does anyone else get concerned about traveling with an 6-month old infant? Just the plane travel alone with all the germs and since little ones don't have a healthy immune system...A lady in our office gets sick each and every time she flies.

Heaven forbid there is a norovirus outbreak and the little one comes down with it. I highly doubt the ships medical center would have pedo IV's so that mean you'll likely have to get off the ship. I just think the risk far outweighs any benefit from the vacation.

I totally agree but didn't want to be too negative in my previous post since OP's plans have already been made or so it seemed. I did cruise with my 6 month old daughter and I would never, ever do that again. It was the proverbial vacation from he--.

I certainly hope that the OP will be able to enjoys hers.

We traveled with cruise friends from the UK who had a 10 month old baby and we were on a 21 day b2b cruise (10+11 days) in the Caribbean.

Everything went great. They brought along a lot of food and we supplemented from a local grocery - buying all baby necessities there too. The staff loved the baby and helped when they could. As others have reported there were no babysitting services nor children's program for babies but the kids club did offer them the use of their facilities including some baby play toys and a special small splash pool that could be dumped and refilled.

When you get on board be sure to talk to the restaurant manager about table seating - we had a great table in the "wings" of the main dining room that was a little out of the way - it was actually a great spot and not so noisy and busy as other locations.

If you'd like to email me any questions we can try answering or forward them onto our friends.

Many thanks in advance

michelle

Too many "what if's" in traveling that far with a very small infant and then cruising for 11 days. Wouldn't do it myself-I'd wait a few months.

Many thanks in advance

michelle

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There is a board here for Family Cruises, located under Special Interest Cruising. It's a good place to get advice about traveling with children. You may not get any different opinions than you have here, but you might get some encouragement...EM

I would also encourage you to check out the family cruising board There are many similar questions posted over there with a lot more positive responses. Most people who replied over there did great traveling with an infant. We have never cruised with an infant, but we are considering cruising with a 10 month old next summer. Good luck to you!

My husband and I have been on three cruises within the past few years with our married daughter, son in law, and grandchildren. Based on our experience I would recommend.

Book it on a "kid friendly" cruise line

Travel with grandparents who can babysit for you during part of the cruise

Book a cabin that is large enough for all the baby equipment you will have.

Book a cabin that is adjacent to your relatives with an option to open the balcony between them. We had two adjacent suites on our last cruise and this way I could read on the balcony while my grandchildren were asleep and go to my cabin whenever I needed to get something.

Have an itinerary that is not that important to you and be very flexible about what you will do.

Request a dining room table for just your group so you don't have to worry about how strangers feel about dining with a baby.

Traveling with a baby can be a great experience for all concerned but it is very different than traveling with just adults.

Our granddaughter was seven months old on her first cruise, sixteen months old on her second one and three on her most recent one. Her younger brother was one during our last cruise. On our most recent cruise she had a better time than most adults.

Thanks to all for your replies. I will go on the family forum, thats a really helpful suggestion.

The gorgeous baby in question is our grandson and we are traveling with our daughter and her husband so we will all be on hand to help. I have booked the baby (and mum and dad) in the first stateroom on the corridor with us next door, so no-one need worry that they may be put next to a crying baby (except us ;-)

I can honestly say that I have never had a bad holiday so I'm sure that this will be no different. We are pretty good at finding enjoyment from most things and are all happily laid back. When we have been away with our other grandchildren we have never been faced with anything other than help and kindness from the cruise line so...here's hoping!

By the way, thanks again to all those that took the time to reply. It is much appreciated

Archived