Thomson Spirit - Simon Calder on board

Just returned from another fab 2 weeks on the Spirit. Thought people might be interested to know that Simon Calder (travel journalist) was on board for a week and will be writing a review to be published in the Independent travel section (thinks its on a Saturday). Don't know when it will appear so keep your eyes open and perhaps post on here to let others know when it appears. I hope he loved the ship as much as we all do - he was with his family and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. He was very friendly and approachable.

I am sooooo excited. Apart from everything else I am now worried about airport strikes! Then of course there is the vibrations, travel sickness, what to wear, haven't been able to shift last few pounds, what currency to bring...etc etc!

• 2 weeks later...
simons calder's review is now on the web www.independent.co.uk them press travel

Money for old rope! A weeks cruise with 20 minutes of "fact finding" probably done on the plane, plus a 5 minute chat with the cruise director and info from cruise news. Perhaps I'm not "hi-brow" enough to be an Inde reader but I could do a better rewiew of the Spirit or any other ship in the Thomson fleet and I've read far better reviews by "normal" people on here.

Kruzseeka, Jenny Wren, Beckyfaye and Sobral put your applications in when the job becomes available as you all give far better info than Mr Calder.

Still there is an upside, there won't be a rush for places from Inde readers;)

I think the review was informative and favourable - and will have taken a considerable time to research and write.

Simon Calder is the first port of call when a 'travel expert' is needed on tv or radio. I think the fact that he wrote a positive review is great - what would you have thought if he had written a negative review? I could then have understood an attack on him, though not on the Independent and the Independent readers. There has been a lot of criticism on this forum of people who portray an image of Thomson cruisers as down market, chavtastic beer drinkers who would, no doubt, read bottom end tabloid newspapers yet now there is criticism of a perfectly fair review from a broadsheet paper.

Incidently, whenever we saw Simon Calder on board he was continuously working on his laptop or making notes in his notebook, so it was definately somewhat of a busman's holiday!

PS I am not an Independent reader, but know a lot of nice, down to earth people who are!

Archived