Veendam - Back from the 8/8 Sailing

babygirl722

Andrea, was it Janice and the HAL Cats by any chance? We had her on the Veendam and I really hate to speak ill of someone who just might peek at CC, but she couldn't carry a tune at all. The band was good, but the singing was just unbearable .... and I'm pretty easy on the entertainers. I don't expect perfection on a cruise.

Does anyone know, by chance, who the singer with the HAL Cats would have been on a December 7, 2008, cruise? Whoever it was, she was great. So it couldn't have been Janice.

Wow, that's completely different from my experience. I wonder if the cast changed since June?

Yes with the exception of Krystal Washington, the cast now includes Laura Ynes (Sp?), Timmy Ellis, (not sure of first name) De Leone, and Mike Moran. The dancers are also different. I find the songs chosen do not flatter the singers abilities, esp. for the last production (the las vegas style show).

Laura

I find the songs chosen do not flatter the singers abilities, esp. for the last production (the las vegas style show).

Laura

We were aboard the Veendam earlier in the month - completely agree with your opinion of the Las Vegas show. I thought that was the weakest night.

We were aboard the Veendam earlier in the month - completely agree with your opinion of the Las Vegas show. I thought that was the weakest night.

The singers should be allowed to pick out their own songs ala American Idol style and sing those songs one night. Not only will they have some variety, they know what songs they like/are comfortable with.

Laura

The singers should be allowed to pick out their own songs ala American Idol style and sing those songs one night. Not only will they have some variety, they know what songs they like/are comfortable with.

Laura

Do you think the singers carry their own arrangements with them so the band can play along or do you think the band has a catalog of arrangements that they can choose from? Not sure of the logistics of how this would work.

Do you think the singers carry their own arrangements with them so the band can play along or do you think the band has a catalog of arrangements that they can choose from? Not sure of the logistics of how this would work.

Currently the dancers and singers live together for 2 months rehearsing before they board as a group for 4+ months of performances. I am speaking specifically of the showroom at sea performers.

The band does not partake in these practice sessions, so if the singers were to choose a variety of songs in advance, I'm sure the company could provide the band with the proper music.

DH and I just returned yesterday. Our assessment: loved the food (must diet this week!); thought the entertainment superior to other cruises we've done (4th HAL, NCL, Celebrity). We saw all the shows and thought all shows were superior. The comedian on two nights was hysterical and specialized in ad lib. The comedian/juggler/acrobat on Friday was just tremendous (we saw him on the Eurodam in December; he had a totally new show - very impressive).

We went on one excursion through HAL and it was very good (a 2 tank dive through Fantasea Diving).

Dining: We had open seating and never had an issue. On the 2nd formal night, we had met some people who had fixed seating. One of them asked the maitre de to accommodate us (join their table of 6). The maitre de arranged to change the table from 6 to one for 8. We had to wait only 15 minutes for this.

Minor complaints: cabin 36 on Navigation deck was moderately cool. We like it cooler.

Overall, very enjoyable cruise. Definitely LOVE docking in Hamilton versus the dockyards at Kings Wharf. Want to do it again next summer.

In February, I interviewed the Band Leader of the HAL Cats aboard the Westerdam. According to him, they have a list of songs dating from the 1940's to present day that they are allowed to use. This list comes from HAL, who has paid the Royalties to the respective owners of the property rights.

David also stated that there is no leeway in playing a request, if it is not on the approved list, they cannot play it.

I would imagine that this is the same for all of the shows and music venues across the fleet...

Joanie

it was a good cruise, few glitches and service problems but otherwise fantastic.

HAL corp people need to get on board with the fact that veendam does not dock in st george, we were told we could leave the ship prior to it moving to hamilton and booked a dolphin swim early the move day. we were going to scooter down the the dockyard.

front desk got it resolved without it affecting other plans but i was glad that i didnt rent the scooters for more than the 1 day in st george.

oooo, I never knew we could leave ship on the move day. that would make things easier for a tour we want to do as well. what time was the tender?

or did I misread this? maybe you DIDN'T get to go to St George on the Wed morn?

would you mind clarifying? many thanks. hoping you do a trip report :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived