Veendam - Back from the 8/8 Sailing

babygirl722

I just got back and it was fabulous! My expectations were lowered based on alot of what I had read on these boards and I must say that it was one of our best cruises ever. The food was incredible (ate everywhere except the Pinnacle), the service outstanding and the air conditioning worked in Cabin 184 which is a balcony cabin, closer to aft than midship, on the port side.

Bermuda was gorgeous (to say the least!) and the sea was like glass on the sail down. The ship was sold out but never, ever felt crowded. We encountered no problems at all with the tender process (took the 11:30AM tender over and the 6:30PM tender back) or with anything else for that matter!

We thought the entertainers were so-so and that the comedian (Joe Yannetti (?) was good. I believe it was his last week on board.

Any questions, please ask!

Nice to hear positive feedback Re: Veendam! I am so glad to hear you had a wonderful time! :D

It was certainly a pleasant suprise as I was really not expecting much. I know that some posters have experienced issues and we really got lucky.

We thought the entertainers were so-so and that the comedian (Joe Yannetti (?) was good. I believe it was his last week on board.

Any questions, please ask!

Was wondering which part of the entertainment was so-so and why you judged it that way.

Was any of it besides the comedian good? Adagio Strings? Neptunes in Ocean Bar? Hal Cats? Showtime at Sea singers?

:) Was also skeptical due to all the chatter about Veendam problems. Was very pleasantly surprised. It was fantastic. The food was exceptional, the staff very friendly and helpful (even though I think they were short-staffed in the Dining Room and the Lido). Bermuda was fabulous as usual. Horseshoe Beach is so beautiful. The water was like a bathtub and gorgeous. We thought the entertainment on the ship was great, especially the comedian. Tendering is not that bad at all, maybe a little crowded on the early ferry. They should really consider running more ferries back to the ship (at least every hour). As far as AC problems, to us it was just like any other cruise we have been on. Some areas are cool and others warmer. It was not enough of a problem to be a bother. Had smooth seas on the way down, a little rocky on the way back. Bermuda is still one of our favorite places and we can't wait to go back again. Don't listen to all the complaints. Just go and have fun. Unless you have a major problem don't sweat the small stuff.

Was wondering which part of the entertainment was so-so and why you judged it that way.

Was any of it besides the comedian good? Adagio Strings? Neptunes in Ocean Bar? Hal Cats? Showtime at Sea singers?

Everyone was consistently and completely off-key.....

Wow, that's completely different from my experience. I wonder if the cast changed since June?

They must have! I heard so many wonderful things about the entertainment so I was very suprised. The HAL Cat singer couldn't carry a tune to save her life and I don't recall who was singing poolside yesterday but I heard many negative comments including "I feel like I'm listening to the Teletubbies". He was beyond awful IMHO.

Saw the show singers/dancers once and were not impressed enough to go back. In our opinion they were mediocre at best..but that's just our opinion...

Andrea, was it Janice and the HAL Cats by any chance? We had her on the Veendam and I really hate to speak ill of someone who just might peek at CC, but she couldn't carry a tune at all. The band was good, but the singing was just unbearable .... and I'm pretty easy on the entertainers. I don't expect perfection on a cruise.

Andrea, was it Janice and the HAL Cats by any chance? We had her on the Veendam and I really hate to speak ill of someone who just might peek at CC, but she couldn't carry a tune at all. The band was good, but the singing was just unbearable .... and I'm pretty easy on the entertainers. I don't expect perfection on a cruise.

It might have been but I'm not quite sure. And I'm with you about not expecting perfection but this was just awful. I'm about the worst singer in the world and I might have done better...

so happy to hear the positive report of the Veendam. Our first HAL cruise is 19 Sept to Bermuda, and I have been hiding the negative reviews from DH. And feeling VERY apprehensive about it. You have made it a bit better. Thank you so much.

I'm glad that my positive review helps! I can tell you that I asked quite a few people around the ship if they were happy and I never heard anyone say anything bad.

I am a bit of a complainer, I must admit, but I honestly could not find a thing to complain about!

They must have! I heard so many wonderful things about the entertainment so I was very suprised. The HAL Cat singer couldn't carry a tune to save her life and I don't recall who was singing poolside yesterday but I heard many negative comments including "I feel like I'm listening to the Teletubbies". He was beyond awful IMHO.

Saw the show singers/dancers once and were not impressed enough to go back. In our opinion they were mediocre at best..but that's just our opinion...

I wonder if he was the man I heard singing and playing the guitar in Mix one night. Imagine Rod Stewart with laryngitis and singing flat. Ouch!

I wonder if he was the man I heard singing and playing the guitar in Mix one night. Imagine Rod Stewart with laryngitis and singing flat. Ouch!

Yup! That's just what he sounded like.

We arrived at 11:30AM and were on board in less than 30 minutes. It was the quickest boarding process I've ever experienced. We had a nice lunch in the dining room and by the time we were done, the cabins were ready.

Archived