Too Pricey

mtebor

Budget Queen, I love this post! You are so right.....all of the little things do add up and before you know it, you have dropped some real $$$$'s.

By the way, do you have any suggestions for activities post-cruisetour? We will be in Anchorage for 2 days prior to returning home. I've been to Alaska before, but we are bringing a lil small group of friends along on this one.

Thanks

Pinkie:)

I would get a car/van rental. There is plenty you can see and do, but it is far more easy/cost effective with your own transportation.

Depends what the interests are? You have been to Anchorage? What did you enjoy before? Did you go to Seward? That may have more interest potential, over Anchorage?

Out of Anchorage- Ice Trekking day trip, Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine, Eklutna Spirt house tour, Wassila Sled Dog Museum, Musk Ox Farm, Palmer, Talkeetna Flightseeing. Turnagain Arm, Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Girdwood, Animal Conservatory, etc etc etc.

Otherwise, I would put the 1-2 days in Seward.

We had a balcony the last time we were in Alaska and rarely used it! It was just TOOOOOO cold to stay out there. We spent time in the room, looking out the sliding doors! Next year, we have an inside. We will be able to look outside from the public areas and save a lot of money for the extra shore excursions we want to do!

• 1 month later...

Inexpensive Land Option:

This may not be your style or to your liking, but my mom and dad when they went to Alaska got an inexpensive rental car and tent camped. They thought this was fabulous, as the campsites are in some of the most beautiful areas right on water, etc. Their plan was that if it was too cold or if they felt like it they'd do some nights in a B&B, but they never did, as they loved the camping so much. On the last night before flying home, they had rain overnight and a wet tent, but no problem -- They didn't need food anymore, so my mom just put the wet tent in the cooler and checked it for the flight home.

This may not be the cruise you'd be looking to take, but we're looking at doing a budget cruise to Alaska for three and here's what we've come up with that stays pretty close to our $5000 vacation budget for this trip for three. We got some great tips on less expensive cruise lines and fun things to do at ports without spending a lot of money on this forum.

We're looking at the Carnival Spirit from Seattle round trip -- just so much less expensive on the airfare front. This one goes from Tuesday to Tuesday. Balconies here are way less expensive than on other lines. With early booking for a popular early August week, we can get a balcony for three including taxes for about $3500. We'll probably be able to do a little better than that, but that gives you a general idea. Our air to Seattle is just $250 vs. $500/$600 to Vancouver, so that's $750 for three. We'll fly in the night before so figure $150 for hotel. We can get a 3:10 p.m. flight home, so don't need to budget a hotel for the trip home. Our cruise stops are Tracy Arm Fjord (cruise by vs. stop), Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria. We'll do most things on our own rather than take tours (will save a bunch). In Skagway we'll probably to a Dyea Dave tour of the town and then the trip to Dyea (just two hours) -- good chance of seeing wildlife on the way to Dyea per description ($30 pp so figure $100 with tip for three). In Ketchikan on our own we'll watch the samon swimming upsteam by the dock and then either take the bus or rent a car on our own to go see the the totem poles at Totem Bright (figure $50). In Juneau on our own we'll take the shuttle for $14 pp or rent a car (figure $50 total) and go see the Mendenhall glacier. The Spirit has a naturalist on board, so we'll take advantage of that, but won't do any ship excursions. We love Victoria, but were just there for a week, so will stay on the ship for the few hours there or just walk around a little and come back to the ship.

So $3500 plus $750 Plus $150 = $4400 // $200 for transportation and excursions for three = $4600 // That leave $400 for tips and incidentals. For other incidentals and souvenirs above this we'll pay out of current funds vs. vacation funds and my son will need ot purchase any of his souvenirs with his own money. My husband and I don't buy sourviners on trips, so no expense for these for us. We won't buy drinks or do resturant upgrades either, as we've always found the main dining room to be great on Carnival.

Posted this in case this gives you any ideas.

Seeing the totals tossed around in this thread is what made me roll my eyes right back in my head when I was told the AK cruise tax had to be repealed/reduced because it was keeping people from coming on AK cruises!

Rrrrriiiggghhhttt...that extra $12PP is going to make the OP sign right up.

I'm looking at a mid-June 2011 Princess cruise (Whittier to Vancouver) and it is running $2,100 per cabin for the cheapest inside cabin for 2 (and it's over $4,000 for a balcony cabin with taxes). We'll probably have to book an inside cabin and hope the price drops. I'm assuming there has to be some sales in the future.

I'm having sticker shock too, as my 12 day Med balcony cabin on Princess in 2003 was only $1,600. Hopefully, the Alaskan scenery will be worth the cost!

I'm looking at a mid-June 2011 Princess cruise (Whittier to Vancouver) and it is running $2,100 per cabin for the cheapest inside cabin for 2 (and it's over $4,000 for a balcony cabin with taxes). We'll probably have to book an inside cabin and hope the price drops. I'm assuming there has to be some sales in the future.

I'm having sticker shock too, as my 12 day Med balcony cabin on Princess in 2003 was only $1,600. Hopefully, the Alaskan scenery will be worth the cost!

Despite a 25% reduction in sailings to Alaska over the the past couple of years, the lines have had to drop prices dramatically during the middle of selling period in order to fill their ships. Disney is entering the market in 2011 and Princess has announced they will reinstate a 4th ship out of Vancouver in 2012. With the continuing soft economy me thinks that prices will drop again next year.

Seeing the totals tossed around in this thread is what made me roll my eyes right back in my head when I was told the AK cruise tax had to be repealed/reduced because it was keeping people from coming on AK cruises!

Rrrrriiiggghhhttt...that extra $12PP is going to make the OP sign right up.

I never understand that either. How can a tax that is a miniscule part of the total, really make a difference. It wouldn't for me, that is for sure.

I'm sure your $1600 cruise was quite a reduction, though. If you look right now, Princess 12 day Med balcony is about $3289/person!

Compare an interior Med 12-day, price about $185/day/person to an Alaskan 7-day one-way interior, price about $153/day/person. I say about, because there is great variance from one week and one ship to another during June.

I am always in a quandary--book my cruise early and hope the price goes down, or wait for the price reductions closer to sailing time. I seem to always do the wrong thing for whichever cruise it is!

Archived