Too Pricey

mtebor

I was looking at Alaska and can't get over the price. I was looking for a 20th anniversary cruise, I priced out 7 day cruise (inside cabin) plus 7 day land tour (RCCL) with flights for my wife, my self and dd (which may be out of luck) was over 12K. I can do over 5 carrib. cruises for that price.

And now looking at maybe skipping the land tour and just doing the cruise and maybe stay the extra week on our own. How feasible is this and how much do you think I will save?

I was also curious for those who get balcony cabins, how often our you on it? I know I would be on it quite a bit in the warmer climate but not too sure how much in the cooler one.

We had sticker shock on the price of an Alaskan cruise, too, and we didn't even look at the land package with it. I know port fees are very high for the cruise line in Alaska.

We saved money getting an inside cabin. I know a lot of people insist a balcony is wonderful and necessary, but we found that we could get spectacular views from other areas of the ship. On NCL, they had a lounge with huge windows and comfy seating, so we would head up there to watch the scenery. We've had a balcony on a less expensive route and did enjoy it, but were pleasantly surprised how much we liked the inside cabin. Another bonus: The extended daylight in Alaska won't affect your sleep. Just something to consider to bring costs down ...

If the cruise is aleady sretching your budget then don't get a verandah. Is it nice to have? Absolutely and especiall on a cruise of Alaska. But you can just go to the pubic rooms and to the open deck. If the money isn't an issue then get the verandah but if it isn't don't get it and you will have a wonderful cruise. After all it is Alaska which in itself is great plus you are celebrating your 20th wedding anniversary.

Keith

We have had balconies a couple of times in Alaska when we got a free upgrade. IMAO it is really not worth paying for, especially not the huge extra price they charge for it.

When we did our Alaska cruise/tour, I tried to pencil it out myself, and couldn't match the prices except by eating peanut butter and sleeping in dumps.

Alaska IS expensive. It is also a wonderful experience, unmatched by anything in the Caribbean.

Check out our trip reports and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html for several trips to Alaska as well as the Caribbean. We love both! You have to decide what is right for you.

It's the flight to Alaska (over $1K) that is the major money killer. You can consider a Vancouver roundtrip cruise (only $400ish for airfare) and still have an extremely smooth sail and scenic itineary.

For the most budget traveler, the Seattle roundtrip cruises are the cheapest as airfare is about $350 each and $850 for inside cabin (includes port fees), but also the least scenic.

I was also curious for those who get balcony cabins, how often our you on it? I know I would be on it quite a bit in the warmer climate but not too sure how much in the cooler one.

We had an aft balcony suite for our cruise last month on the Star, and were on it all the time. Absolutely no wind, and wonderful bakery smells all day. No jackets required. Can't do that unless you have an aft. It's cool/cold anywhere else.

It's cool and you can get good views elsewhere on the ship, but we wouldn't have anything but a balcony. It was gorgeous and so helpful to be able to be on the balcony. My DH got that awful virus and we did not report it (our steward told us both of us would be confined to our stateroom!), so he stayed in the cabin with the balcony for 2 1/2 days. It saved his sanity. We also ate on the balcony for lunches.

How feasible is this and how much do you think I will save?

Suggestions:

1. Book an oceanview cabin. Balconies are overrated for Alaska, great for the Caribbean. You will want to shift from Port to Starboard and back again to see whales, seals, eagles. Doesn't happen unless you are up on deck.

2. Skip the cruiseline land portion, do it yourself. Lots of 'how to's' here on CC.

3. Buy your air tickets in October...Alaska Airlines always has a substantial sale in October.

4. I am seeing air tickets (BUF-SEA; ANC-BUF) right now for June 2011, $440. rt.

In the end, Alaska will cost you a lot more than a Caribbean vacation. Worth it? Only you can answer that. (I say yes!)

Our Princess cruise/tour, in 07, with all the bells and whistles, was in the neighborhood of $4000-$4500. pp. by the time that we got home. We will go again, but will do the land portion on our own.

I was looking at Alaska and can't get over the price. I was looking for a 20th anniversary cruise, I priced out 7 day cruise (inside cabin) plus 7 day land tour (RCCL) with flights for my wife, my self and dd (which may be out of luck) was over 12K. I can do over 5 carrib. cruises for that price.

And now looking at maybe skipping the land tour and just doing the cruise and maybe stay the extra week on our own. How feasible is this and how much do you think I will save?

Alaska is definietly one of the more expensive cruises but it is also one of the most amazing cruises, too. On our last cruise:

There were 6 of us leaving from San Diego

Flew to Anchorage

Hotel night before cruise

Train to Whittier

PWS Tour prior to boarding ship

3 balcony cabins

Wine, soda cards, massages, photos, gambling, specialty restaurant

3 meals off the ship

2 excursions in Skagway ($250/pp for both)

Whale Watching, Mendenhall Glacier, MR Tram in Juneau ($135/pp)

Floatplane to Anan Creek Bear Observatory in Ketchikan ($450/pp)

3 nights in Vancouver

Tours for 2 days in Vancouver

Flew back from Vancouver to LAX

Cost approx $18K

We had a balcony both cruises to Alaska and for me, I feel the Alaska Cruise, is definitely the time you want a balcony, due to constant scenery. It would of cost us an additional $6K to add the land tour and I do want to do the land portion but will have to wait until it is just the DW and I.

You can never compare the Caribbean to Alaska, there is absolutely no comparison. You have to decide what is your priorities, whether it be your type of cabin, your interest in excursions and where you really want to cruise to. You will get different prospectives on your questions and only you can really answer them.

I will say that if I had a choice of a balcony cabin or the awesome excursions we went on, the excursions would win hands down :D If you cruise in May or September, you will save on the cruise fare, excursions and souveiners but you have to be willing to put up with the weather during those months.

You will truly love the Alaskan Cruise, it's like no other.

I did a ton of research before our Alaska cruise this year and this is what we did to stretch the dollar--

Wanted to go out of Vancouver but airfare was $500pp more than Seattle so we flew into Seattle and rented a car (4 of us) about $500 total for one way rentals.

Got an inside cabin on the lower promenade deck steps away from outside (picked our cabin) and had the biggest balcony on the ship! (it was cool the week we were there at the end of July) wouldn't have been on the balcony much anyway (but I do love them for the Caribbean!)

We didn't buy any souvenirs to speak of--maybe $50 on a few things. Spent money on excursions. Whale watching with Harv and Marv's was a highlight. One of our favorite things was free--watching the salmon run in Ketchikan:rolleyes: There was one happy seal on Creek Street and we stayed on the bridge and watched him catch his fill of salmon. :p We also did a sea plane into Misty Fjords. Rented a car in Skagway and drove into the Yukon with Murray's guide.

Lots of ways to save money and still have a great trip. Our cabin total was $1050 with taxes. Flight was $250pp. Stayed in hotels we found on Priceline pre and post cruise. It can be done on a budget, but it takes time to look at the options and patience to find the sales!

I'd suggest a cruise ending in Anchorage and then renting a car to do the land portion. I leave next week on my 2nd AK cruise (Vancouver -Vancouver). I loved the first one and am excited about this one. I feel that there is so much more to AK than cruise and the way to see it is by renting a car. Two years ago, we went a car and felt closer to nature.

We just celebrated our 10 yr anniv. in an Alaskan cruise last month, with our daughter and son. We had a balcony. As far as we were concerned, it was worth it! But like what everyone has said, the choice is up to you.... budget does count a lot in making your decisions of the kind of room you want and the excursions too...however, just to stress out the point that everyone has been telling you....Alaska is indeed expensive, but the experience you get from seeing this marvelous,beautiful and amazing place is worth every penny you spend....Alaska is where you will really feel the great experience of being grateful being surrounded by mother nature's work of art.........so, I'd say book it and choose your excursions wisely according to your budget...............most of all, enjoy!!!

DOn't know why eveyone is telling you balcony when you are saying too expensive and are pricing inside:confused: My 2cents is save the money, book inside and spend the money on excursion. There is thousand and thousands of linear feet of open balcony and ton of loungers on the lower decks. I booked two balconys this time, it was funny as I was on it 5am often and in the evening after 10pm when it was most beautiful. Have no clue where everyone was as I looked down at all those empty balconies :D

You can enjoy alaska without the landtour IMHO, book some good excursions and make sure you get a cruise that does Glacier Bay or Hubbard and I think you will have a cruise far more memorable then 3 or 4 more to the Carribean. You can go there anytime, 10 years from now Mendenhall will have pulled back another few hundred yards and who knows what else might disappear between now and then.

A roundtrip from Seattle or fly into seattle with train to Vancouver is something also to consider iff the cruise you want sails out of Vancouver.

Enjoy that 20th, or was this year as well, we kind of celebrated it early with a cruise ;)

Maybe Alaska isn't for you?? You reference "5 Caribbean" trips, and if the money spent is going to be resented, then how much are you going to enjoy it?

There are many ways to save. I never spend near the money that some do. I definately do not recommend a cruisetour with three people. It can be significantly cheaper independent.

I suggest you find out what price, you can live with. But I am never in favor of skimping so much that now, you have regrets.

Ways to save, book an inside cabin, I always do, and it's never a negative for me. I havent' paid over $700 pp in years. Are you looking at multi city options with flights?? I would not compromise here, and do a round trip. It sounds like, you may not be repeating Alaska frequently. I would think getting your "total" trip in to begin with a good mix for you. Seattle flights can offer some signficant savings. Price this option out perhaps.

A RV can offer savings. Booking in the fall, there are companies who greatly discount with prepayments. I got half price rates this year. BUT, do budget in and pay for insurance options to lower your deductable. Purchased coupon books can offer savings, check the offers, and verify availablity. These do require more advanced purchasing for tours.

One caution, is a RV will cost a LOT in gas. Consider about .50/mile. There are many excellent lower cost lodgings available as well, gotten to with a rental car. As a generous ball park, budget 50% more for meals that you would at home.

Only my opinion. I don't skimp on my touring choices and I would suggest it be a consideration in planning. This is why I go there. To get to the places I want and do the stuff I enjoy. A lessor trip just wouldn't be worth it to me, and I would not consider spending the considerable "base" sum for a severely compromised trip.

Yes, Alaska can be quite pricey. We opted for an inside cabin (less $), knowing that we hardly spent anytime in the room and can do outside or to any public areas to view the outside (Radiance on RCCL has lots of glass windows). The only time I felt that it would have been nice to have at least a window in our room were the EARLY mornings where we knew whales were probably out...by the time we got up and ran out, we usually missed them-BUT, if you want to save some money, I still wouldn't pay the price difference even with that knowledge afterwards.

Also, we decided to book all pre- and post-cruising activities by ourselves, which saved some money (i.e., pricelined hotels, public transportation, etc.)

It was a pricey trip, but we ended up staying within our proposed budget and did everything we wanted to do-esp thanks to our Cruise Critic advice! Definitely worth it!

Good luck!

Not sure what cruiseline or cruise you are looking at, but we did a HAL cruisetour in 8/07 for total of $3000 pp. Flew from LAX to Vancouver. Sailed to Juneau and Skagway. Up the White Pass Yukon RR then onto a coach to Whitehorse and Dawson City Yukon, river boat to Eagle Alaska, back on the coach to Chicken, Tok and Fairbanks. Domed rail car to Denali, Tundra Wilderness Tour and Dome rail back to Anchorage and our flight home. 11 days total for that $2700 in a balcony cabin on the ship plus approx $300 for food. I wouldn't travel any other way.

Do your homework and research. It is possible to find deals.

(Edited.) "...And now looking at maybe skipping the land tour and just doing the cruise and maybe stay the extra week on our own. How feasible is this and how much do you think I will save?....

Just do a budget Southeastern Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle and consider it an Introduction to Alaska. Southeastern is much different from the Interior but to see it all in one trip costs several thousands of dollars. Skip the land tour this trip. Save a couple years then go back and rent an RV to do the land tour as BQ suggests.

Thanks for the replies,

I forgot to mention that the cruise would be 2013 so I have a few years to save. I just paid our Nov 2010 cruise on Oasis that I have been paying on for over 2years. We where planning on Inside cabin on Radiance (love that ship) but that sails out of Vancvr.

I think I might have to look at a different cruise line as well to make this happen.

After my wife and I decided in July that we wanted to cruise to Alaska in September, I've been making reservations and putting together our travel plan. The costs are indeed adding up. For reference, here is where we are at so far:

$1150 Airfare for 2 flying into Seattle and flying home from Anchorage

$1420 cost of cruise with inside room (including $220 in taxes)

$110 quick coach from Seattle to Vancouver

$250 1 hotel night in Vancouver

$250 Misty Fjords flightseeing in Ketchikan (used 2for1 toursaver coupon)

$420 Tracy Arm daycruise out of Juneau (no deals on this one)

$120 car rental in Skagway

$370 car rental in Whittier (includes punitive 1-way charge for dropoff at Anchorage airport)

$220 1 hotel night in Seward

$170 Kenai Fjord daycruise out of Seward (used toursaver 2for1 again)

$80 Toursaver coupon book bought on eBay

$30 Northern Lights coupon bought on eBay

Add all that up and you can see that I'm already over $4500 for 2 people and the trip has not yet started. I'm not including the costs of the binoculars, new camera, rain coats and other items we've purchased for the trip.

So I guess my point here is that you should understand what you are getting yourself into here money-wise. It is a very costly vacation, but I do sincerely believe that it will be worth it for the enjoyment and memories that my wife and I will get out of it.

I don't mean to sound like a sentimental old geezer here (I'm almost 40), but when I look back at my life so far I find that I do feel some regrets about the opportunities that I missed because I was worried about money. The current economic crisis and its catastrophic effect upon my finances has really taught me that wealth can indeed be fleeting and transitory. Money comes and goes, and it can evaporate in the blink of an eye. In the end what really matters is the shared history and memories that you have with your loved ones. This is something that is more valuable than money, in my opinion.

After my wife and I decided in July that we wanted to cruise to Alaska in September, I've been making reservations and putting together our travel plan. The costs are indeed adding up. For reference, here is where we are at so far:

$1150 Airfare for 2 flying into Seattle and flying home from Anchorage

$1420 cost of cruise with inside room (including $220 in taxes)

$110 quick coach from Seattle to Vancouver

$250 1 hotel night in Vancouver

$250 Misty Fjords flightseeing in Ketchikan (used 2for1 toursaver coupon)

$420 Tracy Arm daycruise out of Juneau (no deals on this one)

$120 car rental in Skagway

$370 car rental in Whittier (includes punitive 1-way charge for dropoff at Anchorage airport)

$220 1 hotel night in Seward

$170 Kenai Fjord daycruise out of Seward (used toursaver 2for1 again)

$80 Toursaver coupon book bought on eBay

$30 Northern Lights coupon bought on eBay

Add all that up and you can see that I'm already over $4500 for 2 people and the trip has not yet started. I'm not including the costs of the binoculars, new camera, rain coats and other items we've purchased for the trip.

So I guess my point here is that you should understand what you are getting yourself into here money-wise. It is a very costly vacation, but I do sincerely believe that it will be worth it for the enjoyment and memories that my wife and I will get out of it.

I don't mean to sound like a sentimental old geezer here (I'm almost 40), but when I look back at my life so far I find that I do feel some regrets about the opportunities that I missed because I was worried about money. The current economic crisis and its catastrophic effect upon my finances has really taught me that wealth can indeed be fleeting and transitory. Money comes and goes, and it can evaporate in the blink of an eye. In the end what really matters is the shared history and memories that you have with your loved ones. This is something that is more valuable than money, in my opinion.

The can be cheaper options for some of the above. With Kenai Fjords tours, it's $139 with a 2 for 1 and Adventure bound out of Juneau is $150pp.

The can be cheaper options for some of the above. With Kenai Fjords tours, it's $139 with a 2 for 1 and Adventure bound out of Juneau is $150pp.

Budget Queen, I love this post! You are so right.....all of the little things do add up and before you know it, you have dropped some real $$$$'s.

By the way, do you have any suggestions for activities post-cruisetour? We will be in Anchorage for 2 days prior to returning home. I've been to Alaska before, but we are bringing a lil small group of friends along on this one.

Thanks

Pinkie:)

It is a very costly vacation, but I do sincerely believe that it will be worth it for the enjoyment and memories that my wife and I will get out of it.

I think you are fortunate to have come to this attitude at your young age. Some people don't get here until too old to do much about it. Enjoy your vacation, and your memories even more!

Archived