Last minute panic(s) - could you answer my Golden questions

vwlady

Busy packing for our first cruise on Golden Princess (departure on Saturday). This ironing is giving me too much opportunity to think and I have questions about our first afternoon on board.

I shall need coffee and soda cards for all our party. Where exactly do I buy them and will there be a long queue?

I need to register my daughter for the children's centre. Do I do this at the same place as I purchase the cards or report to the children's centre? Are they likely to run out of places if I don't sprint to be first in the queue?

I am having visions of myself running around the ship like a headless chicken. My head tells me these visions are silly. I'm putting it down to FTC nerves. Any advice gratefully received.

Busy packing for our first cruise on Golden Princess (departure on Saturday). This ironing is giving me too much opportunity to think and I have questions about our first afternoon on board.

I shall need coffee and soda cards for all our party. Where exactly do I buy them and will there be a long queue?

I need to register my daughter for the children's centre. Do I do this at the same place as I purchase the cards or report to the children's centre? Are they likely to run out of places if I don't sprint to be first in the queue?

I am having visions of myself running around the ship like a headless chicken. My head tells me these visions are silly. I'm putting it down to FTC nerves. Any advice gratefully received.

Deep breath! Confirmed....your visions are silly :p

Trust me....there will be no shortage of people trying trying to sell you soda and coffee cards; they will greet you as soon as you are on the ship. As for the children's program, there is no mention of limits....just that there has to be a min 20 kids age 3-17 in order for the program to run (not a factor I'm sure). So relax...no need to spin!! There will be plenty of staff to direct you when you board!

As the others have said... Take a deep breath and relax.

To expand a bit on what the others have said -

The soda card is actually a sticker that is put on each individual's cruise card. There will be staff/stations selling the soda packages all over the ship when you come aboard so this should be the last thing you need to do on your list. The individual needs to drink at least four sodas per day, every day, in order for soda package to pay for itself.

The coffee card is a real cardstock card. It is a punch card used to purchase specialty coffee beverages at a slight discount. It can also be used to obtain "brewed" coffee various locations on the ship. You can buy this card at any time during the cruise and buying it should also be near the bottom of the "when I board the ship" list.

Princess is one of the few lines where your cabin will be ready for you upon boarding. First thing I would do is find your cabin, stow your carry-on luggage and look over the Princess Patter. The Patter will have important information about things to do on your first day. Then I would head for the children's center and take care of business there.

Enjoy!

You do not have to purchase the soda or coffee card/sticker at the first moments of your cruise. They can be purchased at any time during the cruise.

When we have cruised with children, someone handed us a flyer about the children's program as we boarded. It gave us a time for a gathering about the program and to sign up the kids. It is an important meeting because they give a lot of useful information and your child can spot potential friends.

Remember, there are several thousand new folks coming on each week and all of them need to navigate new waters. The folks on board are there to make it easy for you. You are already far ahead of those that have not found Cruisecritic! Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you all so much. I just keep thinking with nearly 3000 people all getting on it's going to be like trying to get into a Disney park over the holidays! I'm sure it will all be very civilised in reality!

You do not have to purchase the soda or coffee card/sticker at the first moments of your cruise. They can be purchased at any time during the cruise.

Actually you can only buy the soda sticker up to a certain point during the cruise.

They will not prorate it.

Thank you all so much. I just keep thinking with nearly 3000 people all getting on it's going to be like trying to get into a Disney park over the holidays! I'm sure it will all be very civilised in reality!

VWLady,

I just got off the Golden to Alaska on July 17th, my first cruise, and I was stressed to the gills about knowing everything and making sure I had all the bases covered. All I can say is, "ENJOY"...don't worry about getting on the ship and it being a buzzing mass of people! It's not like that at all. In fact, when we got on the ship, we went to our room; dropped off our carry-ons and went on the "Treasure Hunt" where you find various locations on the ship listed on a card. When you find the location, someone will put a stamp on the card denoting you had found the location. In some locations, we were the only people around...like we had the ship to ourselves!!!! After you put your card in a drawing at the sail away party for prizes. Great way to learn the ship and on your hunt you will find all the places that are selling the soda/coffee cards!

I know it's easy for me to say now that I have my first cruise under my belt...but believe me when my "OCD" self says to relax and enjoy...I really mean it!

HAVE FUN and SAVOR it ALL!

Unlike land-based vacations where the hotel staff seem way too busy to help you.......when you first board a cruise ship you won't believe how helpful everyone is.

There will be cruise staff at the elevators and entrances to the ship to help you find where you're going. And, if you have any questions the Purser's [information] desk will be there to assist you.

The cruiselines want your business and they want you to come back and they don't know that you're NOT going to give them a crisp $100.00 before you leave, just to thank them for being so nice and helpful.

Cruises are a very TIP conscience and "High Remarks" business and they love getting them.

The staff are promoted based on your "Remarks" and work for hard to get those tips so, they really want to please.

Unlike land-based vacations where the hotel staff seem way too busy to help you.......when you first board a cruise ship you won't believe how helpful everyone is.

There will be cruise staff at the elevators and entrances to the ship to help you find where you're going. And, if you have any questions the Purser's [information] desk will be there to assist you.

The cruiselines want your business and they want you to come back and they don't know that you're NOT going to give them a crisp $100.00 before you leave, just to thank them for being so nice and helpful.

Cruises are a very TIP conscience and "High Remarks" business and they love getting them.

The staff are promoted based on your "Remarks" and work VERY hard to get those tips so, they really want to please.

Sorry, the fingers are going way fastert han the brain.

Keep your sense of humor, patience and a smile. You'll love cruising.

You'll have a good time on the Golden. I hope you have nice weather - we sure did last week! I got my coffee card in the Atrium on deck 5. I relaxed in the comfy chairs and a waitress came right up and sold me a card and brought me my first iced coffee.

As for the Kids registration - you'll have a kids's patters in your room for your child for their age range when you board. Registration last week was held the first evening and again the first morning while you are at sea. Remember to bring along a photo ID to the registration. If they photocopy it while you are at registration, you won't need to bring it along when you pick your kids up later in the cruise.

Have fun!!

We loved the Golden. We had a list of items that we wanted to accomplish. We thought it would take hours. It took about 15 minutes, total. We were sitting in the MDR eating lunch within 30 minutes of boarding--"chores" done-- and relaxing!

You will love this ship......Don't forget to get your seats early in the Piazza...the shows in the Piazza and food at the International Cafe are both fabulous.

Also, don't forget your Fabreez aerosol spray....there are NO WINDOWS in your bathrooms.

Bring you patience and a smile........

Have a wonderful time and come back and tell us all about it!

Archived