Dress for dinner???

pacaduli

I am counting down the days until we sail, in October.

In thinking about wardrobe, I am wondering how fancy dinner dress is for the females? I have read the PG book, but I am wondering if a strapless, NICE sundress would be appropriate for dinner?

Packing an entire "dress for dinner" wardrobe will take up too much space in the luggage!

Also, do the men wear dinner jackets EVERY nite? Or is a nice button-down shirt OK?

Thanks for any tips.

~~Carol

Your stapless sundress would be very appropriate for dinner. Many women nearly lived in sundresses on our cruise. Most of the gentlemen did not wear jackets for dinner. My husband chose to take one sport coat and he wore it a few times just because he felt like it. There were probably 5-10 men on our cruise that had jackets. Dress for dinner on the PG is really low key. There were a few ladies wearing sparkling cocktail dresses a night or two, and one night I saw one lovely fashionista sporting a gown, but again those were the exceptions not the norm. If you have something fancy you'd like to wear for fun, by all means do. Nobody would think it was out of line, however, it is not necessary. If you are going to bust out something on the more formal side, I'd suggest saving it for the Captain's Welcome evening or for an evening you choose to dine at La Veranda.

Oh, I forgot to reply to the men's nice button down shirt question. The answer is that it is very appropriate to wear them. If he has some nice tropical shirts with short sleeves he'd like to bring, he should do that too. Many of the guys on our cruise practically lived in them and nearly all the men had at least two, especially those who been on the PG previously.

Is is ok for guys to wear nice golf shirts for dinner?

This topic has been greatly debated for years on Regent and later on the Paul Gauguin boards. The key word is NICE. Think Elegant Casual rather than Country Club Casual. Tommy Bahama shirts are all the rage, but I tend to not spend $150 each on my shirts so I often where nice, but more generic, tropical shirts (remember when we called them Hawaiian?).

I personally seen anyone asked to leave a dining room based upon their attire. I have worn department store polo shirts, and felt like I was appropriately dressed. I probably would not wear something with "advertising" on the back!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I wore sundresses or capris for dinner. I have one long sundress that I wore for the Captain's dinner. My husband did not bring a jacket, and never felt out of place without it. He brought one long sleeve button down and wore that at the Captain's dinner, but other than that he lived in Aloha shirts and Khakis! Love the casual dress of the ship!

On our August 14 cruise people were quite well dressed in the evenings. More dresses and skirts (long and short) than capris for women. Lots of wonderful jewelry on the women (eventually many in their Tahitian pearls. Lots of tropical shirts for men (and single Tahitian pearl necklaces by cruise end). It was more "elegant" casual than resort casual. Think cocktail party.

Archived