Maybe I'm missing something?

m steve

When you call HAL they start the message with "A once in a lifetime experience, every time you cruise on Holland America" That doesn't make sense to me. I've cruised with them 5 times and they all seem quite similar, nothing I would consider a once in a lifetime experience.

When you call HAL they start the message with "A once in a lifetime experience, every time you cruise on Holland America" That doesn't make sense to me. I've cruised with them 5 times and they all seem quite similar, nothing I would consider a once in a lifetime experience.

I kind of write that off as advertising hype. Of course, taken literally I guess they're right. You can only cruise one ship at a time on one specific itinerary on one specific date. In that sense it's "once in a lifetime" but that's a bit of a stretch.

I kind of write that off as advertising hype. Of course, taken literally I guess they're right. You can only cruise one ship at a time on one specific itinerary on one specific date. In that sense it's "once in a lifetime" but that's a bit of a stretch.

HAL uses another over-hyped word, "unique." When you do a cruise search, it tells you how many "unique" itineraries there are. How unique can they be when they repeat the same itinerary throughout the season? And repeat it next year and the year after that???? It only fits the definition of "unique" if you apply the conditions highlighted above.

I guess your first cruise would count as a "once in a lifetime" experience, but I'm sure HAL doesn't want anyone to stop there.

I like to think that. I truly feel that the cabin and dining room stewards enjoy making your time onboard feel like you're special to them. The Neptune Lounge staff certainly do, as well.

We look forward to each cruise with great anticipation of the fantastic service, food, and pampering that we receive from the HAL staff. The ship is really the destination for us. While we truly enjoy the ports, we would take a cruise to nowhere is a heartbeat.

Advertising is the strangest sort of metaphysical literature that isn't intended to be analyzed for logic or ontological truth! It's simply supposed to sound good. It's kind of like a well-crafted, artfully presented, formal pastoral prayer: lots of big words, but the semantic content is just about zero. I don't do those kinds of prayers ... I consider them "so much noise" to fill an empty sanctuary ... but, I do enjoy sitting and listening, in awe, as a real master at spinning them does them. It usually takes quite a lot of hot air, combined with an interest in hearing yourself wax eloquently while saying nothing, to do 'em well. I have the hot air, but not the interest. :D

Advertising is the strangest sort of metaphysical literature that isn't intended to be analyzed for logic or ontological truth! It's simply supposed to sound good. It's kind of like a well-crafted, artfully presented, formal pastoral prayer: lots of big words, but the semantic content is just about zero. I don't do those kinds of prayers ... I consider them "so much noise" to fill an empty sanctuary ... but, I do enjoy sitting and listening, in awe, as a real master at spinning them does them. It usually takes quite a lot of hot air, combined with an interest in hearing yourself wax eloquently while saying nothing, to do 'em well. I have the hot air, but not the interest. :D

Sounds like the corporate "rah-rah" meetings I used to hate. I would refer to them as "sound and fury" and leave the listener to complete the quote.

After listening to the pundits this weekend on the news shows, maybe the next cruise will be the last cruise. Maybe they meant to saw "one last trip of a lifetime" ? It might also have something to do with my retirement countdown clock that stopped working 2 years ago. :)

I can see me now, on the street corner with a homemade sign the reads "Retired, will work for cruise money, Please help!"

After listening to the pundits this weekend on the news shows, maybe the next cruise will be the last cruise. Maybe they meant to saw "one last trip of a lifetime" ? It might also have something to do with my retirement countdown clock that stopped working 2 years ago. :)

I can see me now, on the street corner with a homemade sign the reads "Retired, will work for cruise money, Please help!"

Lesinindy I hear exactly what you are saying. For me my upcoming 30 day cruise to Hawaii and Tahiti will be a "once in a lifetime" cruise. If I even tried to do it again (at the cost of it) I will either be in divorce court or bankrupcy!!!!!!

I can also see myself standing on a street corner with a sign that reads. " Cruiseless will work for the cost of ,deposit, monthly payments, final payment, tips, etc.

PS I think your retirement clock must be related to mine. The clock stopped ticking about 18 months ago and now its heading backwards!

Helen

I probably sound super corny, but to me every cruise is once in a lifetime.

There's always certain things you experience differently on every cruise, new people you've met, different excursions..

HAL does a wonderful job.

If every cruise we took was the same old thing everytime, we probably wouldn't sail with them year after year, would we?

Whatever it is they're doing, they're doing it right. After all, we keep coming back for more don't we?

JMO.

Dial 7 to get the special m steve recording.:p:D

HAL uses another over-hyped word, "unique." When you do a cruise search, it tells you how many "unique" itineraries there are. How unique can they be when they repeat the same itinerary throughout the season? And repeat it next year and the year after that???? It only fits the definition of "unique" if you apply the conditions highlighted above.

I guess your first cruise would count as a "once in a lifetime" experience, but I'm sure HAL doesn't want anyone to stop there.

very true. i've sailed with several different lines. there are more similarities than differences between lines.

Archived