Question about Virgin America

cruzegirl

Hi all,

I've never flown this airline so I have a few questions. First, in general, how are they? On time? Overall experience you've had? And they have a drop down menu when your looking at the various cabins. I'm not sure what this means. Under "dedicated carry on bin space" it said No. What does that mean? Thanks for your help. And no rude comments please.

Hi cruzegirl,

I've flow Virgin America a couple times and loved it. Once from SFO to JFK and once from SFO to LAS. Friendly staff, on time, decent snack options. The seat back entertain system and internet option seem make the flight go a lot faster. There definitely are overhead bins. I fit my rolling carry on in just fine. I think they just mean they are not assigned to specific seats, just take it where you can get it, like every other airline. I'm not sure what you mean about the cabin menu, but I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Stacy

I flew them from SNA-SFO out of curiosity. (They entered SNA with much fanfare and quietly left a year later). Nothing to complain about, a young and slightly "funky / cool" atmosphere.

SFO (the "delay by the Bay") is their hub so their ontime performance is no doubt dominated by the airport. It probably depends on the time of year you travel. Several websites have ontime performance by airline, route, or flight number if you want to compare their stats.

"Dedicated carry on bin space" is for First and Main Cabin Select passengers who have reserved overhead bin space. If you don't have that, it's no different than any other airline.

• 5 months later...

Virgin is one of the best airlines, have flown transatlantic with them several times.

Have only flown Vigin America once, it's beats the competition as far as I am concerned.

Friendly crew, good food, and yes it was on time

Virgin is one of the best airlines, have flown transatlantic with them several times.

Have only flown Vigin America once, it's beats the competition as far as I am concerned.

Though both have the "Virgin" in the name, Virgin America and Virgin Atlantic are two separate companies.

Separate companies due to foreign ownership restrictions in the US. Virgin America had quite a battle proving majority American ownership/leadership. Same thing in Oz for Virgin Blue and VAustralia although the Aussie restrictions are about to ease and their corporate structure and names will be rearranged. That said they are all under Branson's umbrella along with Virgin Atlantic.

Separate companies due to foreign ownership restrictions in the US. ... That said they are all under Branson's umbrella along with Virgin Atlantic.
Although "separate" does really mean separate. The service proposition is very different in each case, so it's difficult to translate directly from one to the other.

Archived