Age Group of O Passengers?

caroak

I also agree with shedridt----I'm 80 years old and DW is close behind .We are in fairly good health but as not to possibly be an inconvenience to our fellow passengers we avoid group excursions.We either go ashore on our own or engage a private tour guide.Last thing we want is to a hinder to other passengers.Also,we may just get tired and want to go back to the ship.Works out great.

We pretty much stick to the easy cruises now.We are booked on the Regatta T/A Nov 13,2010.They don't come any easier than that.We have private guides set for Barcelona.Tangier,Funchal,and Hamilton.We will probably do Alaska next July with the family.

The last difficult cruise we took was a Nile river cruise in 2007.The last difficult ocean cruise was on Celebrity Epedition to the Galapagos Islands in 2005

Anyway Enjoy

I hate bus tours in general but I would much rather wait for an 80 year old who may be having a bit of trouble keeping up than a 40 year old who loses track of time because he/she just had to stop in one more store to shop, completely oblivious to fellow passengers.

True enough, Wripro, but I have to add that it isn't only 40 year olds who delay others. I've seen passengers in all age groups commit this act. And I've seen younger folks having problems with mobility.

It's one thing to be struggling to keep up, whatever the reason -- and another to delay others because of your selfishness.

We find it interesting to cruise with passengers of all ages. Have certainly had many delightful conversations with those 30 years our senior. Just thought it was surprising how much older the Baltic group was. Actually happy to have less children onboard -- the pool area is much quieter for those afternoon naps :). And I agree that age has little to do with holding up a tour group. Some people ask many questions of the guide to hear themselves talk I find, and the worst culprit to date was maybe 35, in the sweltering attic of the Doge's Palace in Venice.

I have always found the worst offenders to be the shopaholics. We once had to wait 60 minutes for this group of six whose main reason for traveling was to spend money shopping. The shortest wait we had for them was 30 minutes. The tour guide could not leave them behind because she would have lost her tourist license.

I have always found the worst offenders to be the shopaholics. We once had to wait 60 minutes for this group of six whose main reason for traveling was to spend money shopping. The shortest wait we had for them was 30 minutes. The tour guide could not leave them behind because she would have lost her tourist license.

I agree and guess this is why I plan my own tours and invite roll call members to enjoy. My late husband was 6'9" and bus tours were not comfortable for him. Intersting enough, he was more comfortable in a VW. Depending upon the area, some shopping is mandatory :), but it is known up front. This way there are no surprises later and those wishing to join are aware. We usually meet the first day on the ship in Horizons and get to know each other before the tour.

How do you advertise the tour you have arranged? I am looking at private tours in Turkey, Egypt and Israel and found tours that have very little shopping time and more time spent at the historical sites.

Go to the roll call for your cruise's departure. It's a great way to meet people before you sail! :)

The best way is to go to the roll call for your specific cruise. Sometimes people pick up info from different threads, like this one, but the roll call is your best bet.

Sometimes you have to start the thread -- but do make sure that there isn't one already set up. I've made that mistake even though I tried not to.

How do you advertise the tour you have arranged? I am looking at private tours in Turkey, Egypt and Israel and found tours that have very little shopping time and more time spent at the historical sites.

If you do a search on this forum for tours that interest you on this forum, you will come across many who recommend tour guides. A lot of information is from trip reviews. I have used this information to set up tours for myself and others. I personally prefer small groups 4-6 so we can have a comfortable vehicle or SUV. This way you choose what you want to do and see. I prefer to have the independent tour guide return us to the ship two hours before sailing which leaves room for traffic (Used to Los Angeles freeway traffic) This way you are in control of you want to do and see and there will be other on the roll call who wish to do the same. Best of Luck.

There will be no nursing home in my future.........

When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship.

The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7or 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare. If you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go?

Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

P.S. And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge.

:

If you do a search on this forum for tours that interest you on this forum, you will come across many who recommend tour guides. A lot of information is from trip reviews. I have used this information to set up tours for myself and others. I personally prefer small groups 4-6 so we can have a comfortable vehicle or SUV. This way you choose what you want to do and see. I prefer to have the independent tour guide return us to the ship two hours before sailing which leaves room for traffic (Used to Los Angeles freeway traffic) This way you are in control of you want to do and see and there will be other on the roll call who wish to do the same. Best of Luck.

Where there any ports in particular that you would recommend the 2 hour leeway for getting back? We are sailing on Sands of Time so we are starting in Athens and ending up in Turkey with calls to Egypt, Israel, Crete and some Greek Islands.

Where there any ports in particular that you would recommend the 2 hour leeway for getting back? We are sailing on Sands of Time so we are starting in Athens and ending up in Turkey with calls to Egypt, Israel, Crete and some Greek Islands.

We visited those ports in 2000. My only suggestion to a ship's tour would be Egypt. Since it was pre 911, there was some suggestion at that time of problems there. It was a 9-10 hour tour and other cruise tour buses caravaned at the end of the day back to the ship. Both of us retired law enforcement we sensed some tension in the city and there were armed security onboard the bus. We can spot a concealed weapon bulge. Things may be better today and probably are but I would still suggest Oceania's tour especially if you arrive in one port and sail out of another as we did. At the other Ports you mentioned we hired a guide once we arrived in Port and got off the ship. Although as I mentioned some of the tours involve some shopping such as the Grand Bazaar in Turkey which is a must. We discuss with the guide no tourist traps, we prefer local restaurants where few tourists visit, etc. You don't want to be rushed in any of these great cities. I hope to return to all of them again once I have made my bucket list for other places. If you haven't got a roll call, start one and go from there. There are plenty of reviews from members of this forum who recommend honest guides. Good luck and now I am dreaming of returning to those places sooner than later. :)

Archived