hotel in southhampton

snowycat

we are booked on the Three Queens world cruise in January , looking for a hotel in Southampton would love one that would pick us up at the airport and drop us off at the pier ,,

anyone know anything about Southampton hotels ,we have provisionally booke Star hotel but I am hearing some not so good reports

we are booked on the Three Queens world cruise in January , looking for a hotel in Southampton would love one that would pick us up at the airport and drop us off at the pier ,,

anyone know anything about Southampton hotels ,we have provisionally booke Star hotel but I am hearing some not so good reports

I've heard good reports about the Holiday Inn and it is very handy for the docks, and what's more it's equally handy for all four terminals. But there are load of other options. You will get plenty of other suggestions I've no doubt.

J

We stayed at the Novotel, and it was quite cheap and the rooms were not too small. I don't know if they provide transport from the airport and to the ship. We arrived by taxi, and they called a cab for us when we were ready to head for the pier. I thought it was good value, also we were able to walk to the nearby mall to do our shopping for provisions for the trip, and there is a Boots nearby.

Sounds like you will be having the time of your life on the cruise. We stayed at the Hilton hotel in Southampton last year and will be staying again this year. It is a bit away from the town center but we liked it. It does not have a shuttle but the taxis are plentiful. You may take a look at Tripadvisor forum for Southampton ...they discuss hotels there.

Sounds like you will be having the time of your life on the cruise. We stayed at the Hilton hotel in Southampton last year and will be staying again this year. It is a bit away from the town center but we liked it. It does not have a shuttle but the taxis are plentiful. You may take a look at Tripadvisor forum for Southampton ...they discuss hotels there.

Slightly farther out than the Hilton - we've stayed at the Botley Park Hotel and we loved it. They do a cruise/park package that includes up to 28 days free parking and a taxi to the docks. And the total price for the two of us was only about £40 dearer than we would have paid for the parking alone with CPS at the docks.

J

The Grand Harbour is in the town centre and not far from the terminal. Also worth looking at is the Chewton Glen, New Milton although it's a bit pricey and a good 40 minute drive but rather special (think its on the Cunard site too). Another is the Montague Arms in Beaulieu. Email them all and see which one gives the best service, price etc.

Are you just staying night before departure, if so Grand Harbour is nearest.

Pj

Edited by Pjran

The Holiday Inn is across the street from the Grand Harbour and is very close to the docks. Certainly not upscale but clean, friendly and good service and a view of the water from most rooms. A very nice buffet breakfast costs extra but it's substantial.

We stayed at the Goring Hotel in London for our pre QV sailing and then the Southampton Holiday Inn for our pre QM2 crossing. The hotels do not compare, but the Holiday Inn was clean, great breakfast buffet and harbor views, and only minutes to the city centre and cruise terminal. With the money you save you can enjoy a spa treatment on the QM2. Have a great voyage. Jack & Mary Frezzolini

I hope that the Holiday Inn has improved since we stayed there in 2006 prior to our British Isles cruise. We have stayed at some Holiday Inn's in the U.S. and they are usually OK, however we much prefer Marriott and Hilton Hotels. We paid over U.S. $225.00 for one night at the Southhampton Holiday Inn, which was slightly less than we paid for a beautiful room at the Marriott Renaissance Hotel in London, which also included a delicious breakfast (Renaissance is Marriott's upscale hotel). I would rate the Southhampton Holiday Inn less than 2 stars. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

we have provisionally booke Star hotel but I am hearing some not so good reports

There is nothing wrong with the Star hotel if you know what it is and what not.

It is a charming old coaching inn with a lovely traditional breakfast room.

It is not a modern or even renovated hotel with the latest amenities and large rooms.

I enjoyed my stays there especially as a perfect start for travelling with the Queen Elizabeth 2. Both have their old world charme, both have their cracks not liked by fans of contemporary hotels/ships.

One potential downside when you start a world cruise: Not all rooms are accessible by elevator and their are no porters. Thus if you have a lot of luggage it might not be suitable.

The location of the Star Hotel right on High street is ideal. Very close to most sights and ships (easy walking) and only five minutes to the pier by taxi.

Non of the other mentioned hotels' location is even comparable.

I have stayed at the Grand Harbour but it was some time back. It was very good at the time. I believe it has since lost its fifth star. Recent Trip Advisor reviews have been poor. I believe they do transfers to and from the port.

This year we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Functional and cheap would best describe it. Not at all like our suite on QM2. Transfers would have to be arranged by taxi.

Apparently the Dolphin has been renovated. They are offering good rates for some dates. For my pre cruise next year they are charging £99 for a double room for dinner bed and breakfast. They are charging £165 for the same plus fourteen nights parking and taxi transfers to and from the port.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS. I have not yet stayed at the Dolphin.

Slightly farther out than the Hilton - we've stayed at the Botley Park Hotel and we loved it. They do a cruise/park package that includes up to 28 days free parking and a taxi to the docks. And the total price for the two of us was only about £40 dearer than we would have paid for the parking alone with CPS at the docks.

J

Thanks for that tip - I am going down to Southampton next Thursday and have just booked this, I have a brand new 2 month old Mercedes and little unsure at leaving it with the valet guys / or at a city hotel whilst I am on the cruise, so this hotel looks like it fits the bill!

Chris

I made reservations with a car service to pick me up at LHR and take me to Southampton, where I am booked at the Ibis hotel near the West Quay shopping mall. I plan to take a taxi from the Ibis to the cruise terminal. I hope it works out well for me.

Stayed at Jury's Inn in 2007 and although it was clean the room was nothing to brag about for $295US. No amenities at all, not even shampoo. We did find a nice tavern for dinner in walking distance, and hotel was a short cab ride from the pier, but certainly not much for the $$.

Another vote for the Hilton.

I stayed there last October, and it's a nice property. Of course, it's a little out of the way from town, but comfortable. I'll consider that hotel again next time I decide to stay in Southampton. :)

I stayed at Jury's Inn and at the Novotel earlier this year while I was gathering material for an article about Southampton. Both were clean and comfortable. The Novotel was doing some refurbishment, which should be finished by now.

The Novotel is situated along with the Ibsis and the Etap Hotel in a shopping area that is outside one of the gates to the City Cruise Terminal. It is possible to walk to the terminal although there is quite a bit of commercial traffic.

The Holiday Inn is just outside of the other gate to the City Terminal on the Mayflower Park side. (Somewhat confusingly, the Mayflower Terminal is not the terminal that is next to Mayflower Park). The Grand Harbour is across the road from the Holiday Inn.

In the old portion of the City are the Dolphin and the Star. The Dolphin was being refurbished last Spring. These are old coaching inns and have assocaitions with Jane Austen.

Jury's Inn and the Southampton Park Hotel are adjacent to one of the city's large parks. They are further away from the terminals but most people are going to want a taxi to take them (and their bags) to any of the terminals regardless of the location of the hotel they spend the night in.

Traffic in and around Southampton can get jammed up around embarkation time especially if there is a football match on or a sale at the Ikea. Thus, it is best to go over to the cruise terminal early.

I am not aware of any hotel that has a shuttle to the cruise terminals as in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. There is a free city bus that runs from the train station through the center of town to the Town Quay. From there it is still a long walk to any of the terminals and, as above, can be quite a lot of traffic in and around the docks.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in May, we booked the cruise and stay package which included bed and breakfast and our car was parked for the 6 days. The price could have included up to 14 days car parking. Price of taxi to terminal was also included in the package.

The breakfast was good, although I thought the food for evening meal was very limited. More like pub type grub. We had lunch there and it was fine.

Southampton have some great restaurants, we had a great meal in one of the wine bars. These restaurants are within walking distance.

For our trip in September we have booked the Ellington Lodge which was recommended by a fellow passenger on our TA so we are going to try that. It has cost us £105.00 which includes breakfast and car parking for our 12 day cruise. We have to pay for the taxi ourselves.

Read some good reviews about it on tripadvisor.

Catherine

We recently booked the cruise package in the Dolphin Hotel, Southampton and it was excellent. £165 for evening meal, double room, breakfast, 2 weeks parking and return taxi to ship. The hotel has recently been refitted and was of a very high standard. All the staff were lovely and very helpful. You will not be disapointed.

We have booked the Dolphin for an overnight before the start of our cruise in January 2011 and were so pleased to read your comments. Many thanks

You will not be disappointed. However, just to let you know that finding the parking at the hotel may be difficult (or it was for us and our sat nav!!!) It is actually at the back of the hotel but you cannot get to it from the front of the hotel. When you arrive at the front of the hotel carry on for about 30 yards and there is an alleyway at the side of a pub - go through that then all the way round the multi-storey car park (it's a one way system) and you will come to the hotel car park.:cool: