SC (aft) or SA cabin?

SLKB

Definitely going to book a deluxe suite for DD Mediterranean graduation cruise in June on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Should I go with the SC Aft corner cabin on deck 6, or the SA cabin on deck 7? We've never had an aft cabin before--like the wrap around deck and ability to watch the wake, view of ports as we're leaving, etc. Some concerns about noise, vibration, etc.

DH likes the SA on deck 7--closer to the Neptune Lounge and center of the ship. Since we're paying more to be able to use the Neptune Lounge, he wants to be nearer. I say walking up the stairs to get a snack will help burn off the calories.

I can get either cabin for the same price right now.

Thoughts?

I only know about Vista Class ships, but I think the newer ships are similar. For us, we choose cruises based upon whether or not the aft corner wrap arounds are available. If they aren't we don't take that cruise.

The corner cabins are smaller, and it will take you a maybe and extra 60 seconds to walk down the hall and up the stairs. I don't think you'll feel a vibration on deck 6. There is slightly more motion at the stern than mid-ship, but not as much as at the bow.

The verandah is wonderful! The view the same as everyone else's at the side, and then there is the WHOLE unobstructed rear view. Since there is the gentle noise from the wake, you really don't hear anything from other cabins while you're cruising and since there are so few cabins at the stern there is very little foot traffic by your cabin door. Again, because they are so large, even if someone is smoking on their own verandah next door, it's easy to get away from the drift of their smoke.

We always check the 'do not upgrade' option, anything else wouldn't please us as much.

We've been fortunate to have had a suite once - we usually book an SY or VA.

Our suite was an SC, on the wake. We loved it! The balcony was awesome, all that extra space!!! We did not have the wrap-around however.

The walk to the Neptune --> OK it was a bit of a schlep, but really we did not spend a lot of time there. I eat enough as it is! :eek:

We were not bothered with vibrations, noise, soot ... only have *positive* things to say about the experience! :)

Our suite was an SC, on the wake. We loved it! The balcony was awesome, all that extra space!!! We did not have the wrap-around however.

The walk to the Neptune --> OK it was a bit of a schlep, but really we did not spend a lot of time there. I eat enough as it is! :eek:

We were not bothered with vibrations, noise, soot ... only have *positive* things to say about the experience! :)

We had an SC corner wrap on our Alaska cruise. The two or three minutes it took to get to the Neptune was no issue as we didn't go there that much. We loved the quiet and the lack of foot traffic outside our door. Room service came right on time and we would not have traded that mid-ship location for the view off the stern. See below. Happy cruising:).

P1000202_0650.jpg

We chose the aft corner cabin for our upcoming cruise. The thought of that giant private balcony was too much to resist. Perfect for reading, snoozing, morning room service and a cocktail while waiting for daughter and her mom to get ready for dinner!

Just a quick note - on Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam's sister ship, the deck 6 SC corner suites are disappointingly shallow.

These links are to photos of the Eurodam deck 6 SC, from IRL_Joanie's amazing site with HAL cabin photos, located at http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/:

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/sm-6175_Cruzman-20.jpg

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/sm-6175_Cruzman-19.jpg

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/sm-6175_Cruzman-18.jpg

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/6175_Cruzman-Breakfast.jpg

Having had an SC on a Vista ship, this isn't what I would have expected. So, I'd probably take the SA.

HI SLKB -

SC's cabins are great - we had one on the Zuidy last year. It was a bit of a hike to the Neptune but that did not concern us. Made me think twice if I really needed that extra chocolate covered strawberry:p!

Have a great time...

We will be sailing in a corner aft suite for the first time Sept 4. Our Zuiderdam balcony on deck 5 is indeed quite large compared to the Eurodam's and I would therefore presume Nieuw Amsterdam's.

I did however get the opportunity to take a quick look at the corner aft suite( deck 4 )our last day aboard the Eurodam( we were sailing in the balcony cabin next door) The steward kindly let us have a peek.

The cabin had a lovely spacious airy feel and the balcony no matter the size will still afford you those wonderful wake vistas.. factor in picturesque the Mediterranean ports and oh my:)

We have yet to experience the joys of the Neptune Lounge but our "wakeview" cabin location was a delight. All of the scenery both port and starboard could be viewed (albeit a little after everyone else;)) and motion/vibration was a non issue for us.

Enjoy the cruise whatever your decision.:)

I have been in SA and in the aft cabins. I liked the layout of the aft cabin, but it is smaller. Not that much, but the sofa that sits 3 or 4 in the SA is much larger than the sofa that seats 2 in the SC/SB.

Yes, the verandah is nice, BUT, on a windy day, you can get it from either side and if it is too windy to sit out, it's kind of hard to enjoy the view.

Having the extra steps to the Neptune lounge wasn't the end of the world, but when you're carrying coffee it can be a pain.

So this time I took the SA (we are on the NA too). My friends are in an aft so i will check out their balcony, but I don't think they are as deep as some of the other ships?

Either way, you have a nice suite with Neptune Lounge. Both have pros and cons. For me, this time with the Med and a TA, definitely the SA.

Having the extra steps to the Neptune lounge wasn't the end of the world, but when you're carrying coffee it can be a pain.

A GREAT suggestion from another CCer was to take your silver tray from under the ice bucket in your room for carrying stuff back from the Neptune (or wherever). Served us well:).

We love the aft corner wraps because of the wake view/soothing sound, 270 degree view and size of the balcony. The room is smaller than an SA. The layout is the same there is just less space between the bed and the sitting area. Yes it is further to Neptune but I wouldn't move off of the wake for that.

Here is a video of SB on the Zuidy 7132. Sorry the balcony was a mess as we just finished a happy hour wine tasting. We are cruise SC on the Eurodam this October. I think the Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam are going to have shallower balconies.

http://gallery.me.com/m5mike#100125

We love the aft corner wraps because of the wake view/soothing sound, 270 degree view and size of the balcony. The room is smaller than an SA. The layout is the same there is just less space between the bed and the sitting area. Yes it is further to Neptune but I wouldn't move off of the wake for that.

Here is a video of SB on the Zuidy 7132. Sorry the balcony was a mess as we just finished a happy hour wine tasting. We are cruise SC on the Eurodam this October. I think the Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam are going to have shallower balconies.

Awesome video, thanks for sharing! Had one of those on Zuidy and loved it!

It is now SB 7142.

7132 is now an Inside J 7132... The Aft Wrap Arounds on Deck 7 on the Zuiderdam are listed now as SB 7142 and SB 7151...

I love the video though as I have SB 7142 booked for our 2 weeks Alaska out of Vancouver in September 2011!!

Joanie

mcw331, LOVE the video! Thank you for sharing it, you're suite looked gorgeous! I really liked the added touches of the wine glasses and room service on the balcony, had a party there? ;)

Yes leaving St Thomas we had a wine tasting... "Shades of Chardonnay" and appetizers set up by the Neptune with just a phone call.

It is now SB 7142.

7132 is now an Inside J 7132... The Aft Wrap Arounds on Deck 7 on the Zuiderdam are listed now as SB 7142 and SB 7151...

I love the video though as I have SB 7142 booked for our 2 weeks Alaska out of Vancouver in September 2011!!

Joanie

Joanie you should do a new video so we can see if there is much of a change after the Zuidy retrofit.

Yes leaving St Thomas we had a wine tasting... "Shades of Chardonnay" and appetizers set up by the Neptune with just a phone call.

Joanie you should do a new video so we can see if there is much of a change after the Zuidy retrofit.

I'll give it a try:D But will not be till after 17 September 2011.

Joanie

Archived