early flight

jmjpro

We are on the Legend at the end of Oct and AirTran just changed our return flt out of Tampa to an earlier time of 11:20 am and I even changed that to the later 2:15 flt. I was just too stressed over having to do the self assist and rushing to get a taxi to the airport. CCL recommends no flights before 11:30 am for port of Tampa and all flights prior to 12 noon they recommended doing the self assist disembark, which I would really dread, especially if you have a lot of luggage.

Tampa airport itself, requires you to check-in at the ticket counter 45 min prior to your flight (unless you can do it online somehow). You then have to take a tram over to airside as it is not connected to the terminal itself , and then get through security on the other side. That means you would have to be at the check in counter at 8am and then hope you can get over to airside and through securtiy in time. I say No Way-Jose'. Don't stress it, see if you can get a later flight and relax. :)

Just want to add that The Aquarium accoss from the port will hold your luggage if you want to kill-some-time while waiting for a later flight. Also, TIA has some decent places to have a nice lunch, TGI Fridays and Caraba's on the Terminal side and depending on what airside there is a Chili's or a Jose Cueravo Cantina ( my choice-great guacamole and good margaritas)

Cruising on the Legend October 2nd in Tampa.

Would I be able to make a 8:45am flight out of Tampa on Sunday morning?

Nope... you'd be lucky to be off the ship by 7:30 AM with self debark and it's about a 25 minute ride to the airport...

:)

I did not think so but thought I would ask the experts anyway!

darn - It was a perfect flight too!

:D:D:D

That's always the way it is. For some reason I think airlines schedules their flights that way just to tempt us.

I try to grab the earliest I can but there is a part of me that suggests why add stress immediately after getting off a cruise?

The problem these days is that it can just take soooooo long to get through security and there's not a single thing you can do about it. We flew roundtrip Detroit to Chicago last week and in both airports we were in long snaking lines to get through security for more than half an hour. We saw several people come running up to employees who were directing people and saying that they only had xx amount of time to get to their gate and every time they were told, "sorry, this is the reality of air travel now. Next time get here early." I'm sure they've heard it all before and they just don't give a crap.

Back in 2004, we made a 9:20 am flight out of Fort Lauderdale after leaving the Jewel of the Seas. I wouldn't even consider it now with current travel screening. Any more, we just get to the airport a couple of hours early, grab a book and a Starbucks and get comfortable till boarding call. It's just part of the process.

Archived