Seward to Anchorage Airport?

tedjazz

OK, heres another driving question. The DW and I want to take the Northwest Fjord Cruise on 6/4/05 from Seward, which goes out at 9am and returns at approximately 6:30pm. We are scheduled to fly out of Anchorage at 11:10pm that same night. So as I understand it, the drive time from Seward to Anchorage is 3 hours. If we get back on time to Seward from our Cruise then we could be at the Airport by 9:30pm. That would be 1 hr and 40 minutes before departure. Oh and we have to return the rental car, but usually that only takes five or ten minutes. For those of you who might have done this part of Alaska and have some knowledge or experience with this kind of thing please give us some help. Are we cutting it too close? Thanks.

Its been sometime since I was last in Anchorage but we lived up there for 4 military years. The drive from Seward back to Anchorage is a beautiful drive and can be done in about an hour and a half. That is if there are no car accidents or land sides. I say this because there was a landside 25 years ago that closed the road for almost a week. I think you can fill the car with gas in Anchorage and do the drive and turn the car in all within two hours. A reply from someone who lives there know will be probably more accurate but I think I'm correct with my information. Tim (Beware of Moose they like to block the highway).

Another question...if the drive is 1 1/2 hours, why does the train take nearly 4 hours?

My flight leaves Anchorage at 1am, I'm booked on the train out of Seward at 6:30pm, and the gal at the airport was concerned that I may miss the flight. I didn't want to question her as to why she felt that way. Would you know why she may have been apprehensive. I am travelling in May.

Thank You

Hi,

It's 120 miles to Anch. so 1.5 hours would be a little fast usually around 2 hours the moose are more of a problem in the winter when there is alot of snow and they walk down the roads, Spring and summer the trip slows down from all the motorhomes. The car rental is right at the airport There is some shorter cruises out to the Fjords, Check out this web Site.

www.alaskaheritagetours.com/476.cfmI

We live in Seward so if you have any other questions let us know.

Coolcruizer,

So what would you say is a reasonable time from Seward to ANC? Mapquest says 3 hours. The Kenai Fjords Northwestern tour was one that we really wanted to go on. Seems like a great trip, from what we read. The tour information puts the end of the tour at "approximately 6:30pm. I suspect several factors play into this, weather, wildlife sightings, etc. We are just a little bit concerned about the time factor. In my mind we'll be fine for making our 11:10pm flight, the DW is the worrier. Any further info is greatly appreciated.

Tedjazz

I would say 2 - 2.5 hours to drive to Anchorage the roads are in good shape and i don't know of and road construction planned for next spring. Kenai Fjords Tours has a trip that leaves at 11:30 and returns at 5:30 and serves a hot lunch on board and you will still see the same wildlife Whales, Otters, Sealions and tide water glaciers that you will see on the longer cruise I have been on there cruise before and ran tour boats in the past and presently run fishing charters out of Seward and on the full day trips most of the people sleep all the way back in at the end of the day.

Absolutely NOT, you do not have time for this tour. Allow 3 hours for the Seward/Anchorage drive and this airport needs a 2 hour window, very congested. Never mind you don't know your way around, have to gas up, turn in the car etc. I would recommend you consider adding at least another day if this is a priority. I would only recommend you consider a shorter tour that leaves in the morning. Kenai Fjords has an 8am tour you could get. You just walk off the ship anytime in Seward. Then pick up the rental car when you get back and head out for Anchorage.

For clairfication- the above post is incorrect, the route of the Northwestern glacier is not the same as the 6 hour trips.

Another question...if the drive is 1 1/2 hours, why does the train take nearly 4 hours?

My flight leaves Anchorage at 1am, I'm booked on the train out of Seward at 6:30pm, and the gal at the airport was concerned that I may miss the flight. I didn't want to question her as to why she felt that way. Would you know why she may have been apprehensive. I am travelling in May.

Thank You

The train is slower, it is scheduled to arrive Anchorage 10:15pm. It is NOT always on time. You then need a cab to the airport- add another 30 min. This airport is VERY busy late night with sometimes significant lines at the ticket counters and security. It definately needs a 2 hour window. So in my opinion- you are cutting it close.

Tedjazz

I agree with Coolcruzer that the 6hr Kenai Fjords Tour may be a better fit for you, from 11:30 to 5:30, they will pick you up and store your luggage for you if needed. It also gives you another hour for drive to Anc. This is not a high speed drive and it should not be. This is very scenic drive that should be enjoyed. Adding another day would be even better as BQ suggests, even more would be better. But if already set, think about shorter trip. Not to scare you off, but in Sep, we took the 6hr tour with Kenai Fjords and we had mechanical breakdown (lost one engine) and had to take more direct route back and were still at least 1/2hr late.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I will look into the shorter tour. I didn't realize that late night flying would be so crowded, but I guess thats why these boards exist, to get help from those of you who have done this sort of thing before. If you have any more suggestions please let me know. Thanks

Take a taxi...http://www.pjstaxi.com......No need to worry about gas fillup, rental return ect. Just walk off the boat,grab your luggage and your gone. Without the extra hassle of the rental car you won't have any problems making your flight.If you were planning on renting the car in Seward,I bet the taxi would end up cheaper too.

Tedjazz

I didn't mean the tours we're the same distance you see the same amount of wildlife and the same type of glacier. Taking a Taxi is a good idea you could sit back and enjoy the senery and let some one else do the driving, And for anyone else reading these post's the train goes to the airport so there is no need for a cab in Anchorage. But the train would get you there to late. I have lived in Seward for over 40 years and operated boats in the area where you are planning on taking the Fjord's tour and you won't be dissapointed at all, If I was booking a tour I would book the shorter one myself. Enjoy your trip.:)

Coolcruiser,

Thanks for the info. I do have one other agenda though, we have the Great Alaska Toursaver Coupon Book and it has a 2 fo 1 coupon for the Northwestern Tour with Kenai Fjords tours. Thats why we selected that tour, plus from what I read on these boards that one seems to be really great. The shorter tour doesn't have a coupon in the Toursaver, but now it sounds like a great tour. So yeah, I am trying to save some money and see some great wildlife and scenery too. It sounds like with the time factor I may have to settle on the shorter tour. Maybe I'll see if they will give me the 2 for 1 on the shorter tour. Anyone ever try that one?

BTW, how much would a taxi from Seward to Anchorage cost, I would think it would really be expensive, besides I will have a Rental Car that we need to return to the airport. Keep the suggestions coming, I do very much appreciate them.

Tedjazz

I didn't mean the tours we're the same distance you see the same amount of wildlife and the same type of glacier. Taking a Taxi is a good idea you could sit back and enjoy the senery and let some one else do the driving, And for anyone else reading these post's the train goes to the airport so there is no need for a cab in Anchorage. But the train would get you there to late. I have lived in Seward for over 40 years and operated boats in the area where you are planning on taking the Fjord's tour and you won't be dissapointed at all, If I was booking a tour I would book the shorter one myself. Enjoy your trip.:)

Is the train now stopping at the airport this year? It hasn't in the past except the cruise contracted trains.

In the past there was no subsitution for Kenai Fjords coupons. You need to inquire directly.

Archived