Just booked Star for the Rio to FLL--during Carnival!

kymbakitty

I'm so excited. We finally chose a cruise for next year and settled on the Star for the Rio to FLL cruise.

Much to my surprise, I was delighted to discover that Carnival is scheduled this week. Not sure if that is GREAT news or bad timing! I know like other countries, a lot of folks that live in Rio seek refuge AWAY from the event...but that is what everyone tends to do when they live close to something like that. Heck, we avoid downtown Sacramento every year when the jazz festival hits town--ha!!!!

Anyway, I was able to get 2 nights at the JW Marriott (March 7-9) and you can start getting on the ship on March 9th...but I don't think it actually leaves port until March 10th.

Does anyone know how far the port is from the JW Marriott? I don't know if I can get Princess transfers (or even if we'll want/need to), but since the JW Marriott is an option for a precruise (at least packaged as part of a land tour anyway), I'm guessing that I may be able to get transfers to the pier. I couldn't get the hotel for anything earlier than the 7th (completely sold out), so 2 nights there and an additional night on the ship will have to be sufficient for our Rio experience.

Does anyone know if we will be close enough to partake or at least watch some of the ceremonies of this event? I've always heard that it was in February so it didn't dawn on me that this would coincide with such a special event. I'm glad it did though....I figure it was meant to be!

Also, Copa airlines allows you to book biz class one way without having to pay 8 times the cost (as RT). So, for just a tad over $1k each, we will be flying from LAX to GIG for less than what Princess would have charged us for economy. Of course we'll have to get back to California from FLL, but I have an award ticket so me and my husband can just split that on our return.

I'm thrilled....mini suites were a steal on this cruise! The Carnival in Rio is on my bucket list but I had no idea I was going to be able to cross something off my list on this trip!!!

After this cruise, we'll have cruised 53 nights so I believe we'll move up to the next level...yippee!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.....can't wait!

Dawn

I'm so excited. We finally chose a cruise for next year and settled on the Star for the Rio to FLL cruise.

Much to my surprise, I was delighted to discover that Carnival is scheduled this week. Not sure if that is GREAT news or bad timing! I know like other countries, a lot of folks that live in Rio seek refuge AWAY from the event...but that is what everyone tends to do when they live close to something like that. Heck, we avoid downtown Sacramento every year when the jazz festival hits town--ha!!!!

Anyway, I was able to get 2 nights at the JW Marriott (March 7-9) and you can start getting on the ship on March 9th...but I don't think it actually leaves port until March 10th.

Does anyone know how far the port is from the JW Marriott? I don't know if I can get Princess transfers (or even if we'll want/need to), but since the JW Marriott is an option for a precruise (at least packaged as part of a land tour anyway), I'm guessing that I may be able to get transfers to the pier. I couldn't get the hotel for anything earlier than the 7th (completely sold out), so 2 nights there and an additional night on the ship will have to be sufficient for our Rio experience.

Does anyone know if we will be close enough to partake or at least watch some of the ceremonies of this event? I've always heard that it was in February so it didn't dawn on me that this would coincide with such a special event. I'm glad it did though....I figure it was meant to be!

Also, Copa airlines allows you to book biz class one way without having to pay 8 times the cost (as RT). So, for just a tad over $1k each, we will be flying from LAX to GIG for less than what Princess would have charged us for economy. Of course we'll have to get back to California from FLL, but I have an award ticket so me and my husband can just split that on our return.

I'm thrilled....mini suites were a steal on this cruise! The Carnival in Rio is on my bucket list but I had no idea I was going to be able to cross something off my list on this trip!!!

After this cruise, we'll have cruised 53 nights so I believe we'll move up to the next level...yippee!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.....can't wait!

Dawn

Welcome aboard. Here is a link to our Roll Call. Most of us are boarding in Santiago, so March 9th in Rio will be our turnaround day. The original scheduling of this cruise was Rio to San Fran to FLL, but several months ago Princess deleted it and some of us booked on the previous itinerary elected to start in Santiago on the way to FLL. Works well for us, but that meant giving up Carnivale. So you enjoy it and tell us about it. :D Come join the roll call; several others are getting on in Rio too.

OOPS forgot the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1167453

We are on the same trip - Santiago to FLL arriving on the Star in Rio on March 10th...so we will miss Carnaval by one day...but we are glad of that...hear it is a real circus (no pun intended) and soooo crowded with pickpockets and drunks, but we hope to see some of the remnants and floats still in place on our Rio day....

As Pia said, join our roll call and you may get more info from others boarding on your day....

We are on the same trip - Santiago to FLL arriving on the Star in Rio on March 10th...so we will miss Carnaval by one day...but we are glad of that...hear it is a real circus (no pun intended) and soooo crowded with pickpockets and drunks, but we hope to see some of the remnants and floats still in place on our Rio day....

As Pia said, join our roll call and you may get more info from others boarding on your day....

There is no doubt it is a circus--but it is one of those "once in a lifetime" events that we are excited about. My husband is thrilled (I think I just so more emotion out of him than I have in ten years!)!!!!!

It's probably one of those things you either love or hate (if you are a local), but as a visitor, I think they are pretty fun...especially if you are coming from another country.

I'm just glad we were able to snag two nights at the JW Marriott before the cruise.

Does anyone know how far the JW Marriott is from the pier....and/or will we be able to buy transfers from Princess?

I'm just in the beginning of my research so I'm sure I will learn a lot more in the coming months.

Thanks....

Dawn

Welcome aboard. Here is a link to our Roll Call. Most of us are boarding in Santiago, so March 9th in Rio will be our turnaround day. The original scheduling of this cruise was Rio to San Fran to FLL, but several months ago Princess deleted it and some of us booked on the previous itinerary elected to start in Santiago on the way to FLL. Works well for us, but that meant giving up Carnivale. So you enjoy it and tell us about it. :D Come join the roll call; several others are getting on in Rio too.

OOPS forgot the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1167453

I know this is probably a no-brainer for most folks, but why would many elect to board in Santiago as opposed to Rio? Is it easier to get in (airport perhaps)????

And excuse the ignornance (again), but what do you mean "turn around day"....I know that the Star will spend the night in Rio and leave on the 10th, but if you get on the ship on the 10th, why it is referred to a turn around day?

Dawn

I'm on the same cruise and "turnaround day" probably relates to the fact that some passengers will be dismebarking and others embarking (such as yourself). Most of us chose the 29 day cruise Santiago - FLL.

You will be fortunate to see the tail end of the Carneval...some of us are quite disappointed missing it.

Hope to see you on the roll call, Dawn.

Anna:)

I know this is probably a no-brainer for most folks, but why would many elect to board in Santiago as opposed to Rio? Is it easier to get in (airport perhaps)????

And excuse the ignornance (again), but what do you mean "turn around day"....I know that the Star will spend the night in Rio and leave on the 10th, but if you get on the ship on the 10th, why it is referred to a turn around day?

Dawn

For those of us who often do a B2B (back to back) turnaround day means that the day those embark from the first cruise, is the day others embark for the next cruise. The first cruise from Santiago to Rio ends on March 9th (not the 10th) The new folks, you, embark on the 9th. We, the back to backers use turnaround day to tour that port, since we have nothing else to do except eat some more. Actually, some of us, not me, will need to change cabins if they couldn't get the same one for both cruises.

As to why boarding in Santiago: I for one would not fly all the way to Rio for a two week cruise. We are booked for a 14 + a 15, whereas others have book it as one 29 day cruise because it was also sold that way.

Have I made myself clear or have I confused you further?

For those of us who often do a B2B (back to back) turnaround day means that the day those embark from the first cruise, is the day others embark for the next cruise. The first cruise from Santiago to Rio ends on March 9th (not the 10th) The new folks, you, embark on the 9th. We, the back to backers use turnaround day to tour that port, since we have nothing else to do except eat some more. Actually, some of us, not me, will need to change cabins if they couldn't get the same one for both cruises.

As to why boarding in Santiago: I for one would not fly all the way to Rio for a two week cruise. We are booked for a 14 + a 15, whereas others have book it as one 29 day cruise because it was also sold that way.

Have I made myself clear or have I confused you further?

No, you have not confused me further. Although it really is not that long of a flight...so I'm a little surprised that you would say that you would not fly "all that way to Rio" for a two week cruise.

Interesting....we've flown quite a distance for two of our Transatlantic Cruises....both two week cruises....and we've flown to Australia for two weeks....Barbados for two weeks, Budapest for two weeks....

Hum....you would really be surprised of all the people that fly half way around the world and come back after 5 days! I see it all the time and am amazed by it....just as you are surprised that folks would fly "all the way to Rio" for a two week cruise.

We are spending the first two nights at the JW Marriott...so we will get to see more than just a glimpse of Carnival....I think it starts March 5 and we will be there early a.m. on the 7th...

Great information...cross another one off the bucket list! Ugh...one strange thing about getting older--as you continue crossing dreams/goals/destinations of the bucket list you realize just how much closer you are to kicking the bucket--ha! I'm just cracking myself up here today.

:)

No, you have not confused me further. Although it really is not that long of a flight...so I'm a little surprised that you would say that you would not fly "all that way to Rio" for a two week cruise.

Clarification: Two weeks to us is too short a time. We do long cruises

Interesting....we've flown quite a distance for two of our Transatlantic Cruises....both two week cruises....and we've flown to Australia for two weeks....Barbados for two weeks, Budapest for two weeks....

Last time we went to Australia was for five weeks. TA cruises; many. But we add another cruise or land tour on to it.

Hum....you would really be surprised of all the people that fly half way around the world and come back after 5 days! I see it all the time and am amazed by it....just as you are surprised that folks would fly "all the way to Rio" for a two week cruise.

Yes, correct. I often wonder about those who fly long distances for a 3 or 4 day cruise.

We are spending the first two nights at the JW Marriott...so we will get to see more than just a glimpse of Carnival....I think it starts March 5 and we will be there early a.m. on the 7th...

You are correct. Rio Carnival starts on March 5th. Ends on Fat Tuesday March 8th.

Great information...cross another one off the bucket list! Ugh...one strange thing about getting older--as you continue crossing dreams/goals/destinations of the bucket list you realize just how much closer you are to kicking the bucket--ha! I'm just cracking myself up here today.

:)

Enjoy entertaining yourself. I'm my best audience too. :D

I'm laughing as I read this. :) I took a cruise out of Rio a year and a half ago, arriving New Year's Eve. While not Carnival, this is a really big deal in Rio. With the very long flight and almost 24 hours of travel, I couldn't stay awake past 10pm and slept through the whole thing: rockets, fireworks, celebrations all night, etc. right outside my hotel window. Didn't hear a thing. Oh well... So much for being in Rio on NYE.

I was lucky enough to spend 3 days in Rio during Carnaval 2002 (on a Celebrity ship). We were there Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (I think), and the cruise line included transportation to the Sambadrome, and our tickets to get in to see the parades (which is quite expensive, like $200pp or something like that). Half the ship went Sunday night and half the ship went Monday night (again, IIRC). There are, of course, smaller parades and parties in the streets all over town, but for the kind of experience you read about, the Sambadrome is the place to be.

The parades start about dark. There are a series of escuelas that are in the parade...each one takes about 70 minutes to traverse the length of the Sambadrome, and the entire time Samba music is being played and people are dancing in the stands along with the dancers on the route. Then, almost no break until the next escuela appears, and so on and so on. This goes on for 8+ hours. Of course, the costumes and floats are not to be believed.

My friend and I stayed until sunrise, until the last escuela passed by, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Take earplugs and a seat cushion (the stands are made of concrete). With the earplugs, the volume was just about right for me. :rolleyes: And sailing out of Rio at sunset ranks right up there with Sydney and Venice.

The most famous and spectacular Carnival parades are on Sunday, March 6 and Monday, March 7. 2011. I have been twice and would go again if the possibility arises. There is nothing to compare to it visually anywhere in the world because the parade takes place at night with seas of incredible costumes and huge floats that are electrified with lights and movement. The street parades are fun but a little more dangerous and nothing like what can be seen in the Sambadrome where the official parades take place. Grandstand seats are in elevated sections and are on concrete risers that are very uncomfortable after about an hour. Take cushions and a backrest if possible as well as water. The grandstand steps are very deep so they provide no back support. If you want to really splurge you can get a seats at ground level. These are called boxes, seats are numbered and you sit on a regular folding chair.

The parades start when it gets dark, about 9 PM each night, and continue until about 6 AM the next morning both nights. I always stayed for the whole time each night and loved it but it is somewhat of a physical ordeal. Be careful of websites that may have counterfeit tickets. Use your hotel or a reputable agency and please do not miss this once in a lifetime event. It is quite safe as long as you travel by taxi or subway but, again, make sure the taxi is legitimate. You won't regret the splurge. Read up on the various elements of the Sambadrome parade including the original poetry and music and the theme of each of the "schools". Enjoy.

Enjoy entertaining yourself. I'm my best audience too. :D

Ever since we got married....we've almost always taken two week vacations. Usually they were cruises, but sometimes they were land vacations with one week in one country and the second week in another country (nearby). One week just never cut it for us and it has been something we've always done.

We don't know of anyone that has been able to take the time for vacations that we do. Mostly it is because we opted not to have children, but everyone always seems surprised that we take two weeks at a time! It is a luxury that we have been so very blessed over the years.

Having said that, more than two weeks would be a little more difficult. We take two two-week vacations a year and that seems to work very well for us. I often hear my coworkers say, "Oh my, I could never stay on a 'boat' more than a week, I'd go crazy." Yah, right....well, perhaps they don't know how to relax or maybe they've just convinced themselves of that....who knows.

This time, we will be taking nearly 3 weeks off work. Actually, I will be because my husband retired last year. I'm still working full time (I just turned 48 on August 9th) and I have a few more years to go. But I already know that I will never say a vacation was too long or there were too many sea days!

Thank you all for taking the time to post about your experiences in Carnival. I'm getting even more excited. We, like Pam, run the risk of not being able to stay awake past 10:00 but hopefully, the excitement of it all will make it impossible not to stay awake (think expressos!!!!). I am such an early bird that it is hard for me to stay awake past 9:00 at home. I will be up tomorrow a.m. at 4:00 for an early flight to Los Angeles for work....so until tomorrow, I will be going to sleep with wonderful thoughts of Carnival!

Dawn

I'm

Does anyone know how far the port is from the JW Marriott? I don't know if I can get Princess transfers (or even if we'll want/need to), but since the JW Marriott is an option for a precruise (at least packaged as part of a land tour anyway), I'm guessing that I may be able to get transfers to the pier.

I think the distance is less than 5 miles. I would not worry about Princess transfers. Just take a cab.

I think the distance is less than 5 miles. I would not worry about Princess transfers. Just take a cab.

Thank you SO much for responding! You're timing is perfect.

I have it down to two TAs that I'm about ready to hand over (my booking) and this was one question I needed to find the answer to...excellent!

And I know I don't need a transfer in FLL!!!!! Been there, done that.

Dawn

Archived