Norwegian Star - Spinnaker is Gone.... Where else do you go for outside views?

Smokeyham

I did search. This thread is is the right for talking about spinnaker being gone. No?

Yes.... that is the topic of this thread, and it seems that it is still relevant, so I am not sure why the individuals object to you using it.

Have some posts been deleted ?? I can see no objections to this thread. I only see questions about why it was re-opened.

I didn't even know it was closed, all I did was type in spinnaker etc. and was able to post.

I don't want to see the lounges get replace by cabins because we have Jewel booked next year, actually it was supposed to be Pearl but someone chartered the Pearl for our week so NCL put Jewel on the NY/Florida run.

I didn't think it was a big deal to express dissatisfaction with NCL's removal of a lounge everyone seemed to love.

The objection was that he said the loss of the Spinnaker Lounge applied to the Gem and was going to happen to all the "Jewel" class ships which totally does not apply then or now. Most everyone has adjusted to the fact that the Dawn and the Star had their Spinnaker Lounges moved and now have awesome suites in it's place. I can't wait to be in my first SJ in May.

I didn't even know it was closed, all I did was type in spinnaker etc. and was able to post.

I don't want to see the lounges get replace by cabins because we have Jewel booked next year, actually it was supposed to be Pearl but someone chartered the Pearl for our week so NCL put Jewel on the NY/Florida run.

I didn't think it was a big deal to express dissatisfaction with NCL's removal of a lounge everyone seemed to love.

It's not that this thread was actually "CLOSED." The last post was in August of 2010! It's just old news that the rest of us have adjusted to and actually like the change now. This thread was never about the Jewel class ships.

Edited by peg013

I don't want to see the lounges get replace by cabins because we have Jewel booked next year, actually it was supposed to be Pearl but someone chartered the Pearl for our week so NCL put Jewel on the NY/Florida run..

Perhaps it was underused and more money could be made with the new suites. I think they shoud leave it up front on some of their ships and just have those ships sail in the colder areas (Alaska & Boston-Quebec in the fall). When we were on the Dawn in the Caribbean and wondered there during sea days. Unless there was activities going on there was only about a dozen people in there. I don't see that as being cost effective compared to now. I can't say the new Spinnaker on the Star was overly pretty, it appeared to have a cave like feel to it. But it served it's function, which as I see it was to hold activities.

I'll agree forward looking Lounges provide great experiences for an Alaskan cruise with the ship sailing through passages and land constantly in view. But they aren't that great for most cruises in the Caribbean because you're rarely see any land at all while the ship is moving. I believe NCL has removed both the Star and Dawn away from Alaska itineraries.

I would think NCL would have opened the bar in these forward looking lounges early in the day, but it has been my experience they didn't open until after lunch. Those floor to ceiling windows were usually dirty. Those wishing to view the great scenery from an inside locale had to go outside to get a drink at the pool's bar. You might as well watch the scenery from outside anyways where you have a clear view.

But I do understand your loss of a forward looking "inside" view. Maybe you now can understand my loss of a rearward looking view with a bar nearby - even though outside. Only the Spirit provides that free view now in NCL's fleet. All the other NCL ships have decks upon decks of private cabins there now.

Edited by electricron

I'll agree forward looking Lounges provide great experiences for an Alaskan cruise with the ship sailing through passages and land constantly in view. But they aren't that great for most cruises in the Caribbean because you're rarely see any land at all while the ship is moving. I believe NCL has removed both the Star and Dawn away from Alaska itineraries.

I would think NCL would have opened the bar in these forward looking lounges early in the day, but it has been my experience they didn't open until after lunch. Those floor to ceiling windows were usually dirty. Those wishing to view the great scenery from an inside locale had to go outside to get a drink at the pool's bar. You might as well watch the scenery from outside anyways where you have a clear view.

But I do understand your loss of a forward looking "inside" view. Maybe you now can understand my loss of a rearward looking view with a bar nearby - even though outside. Only the Spirit provides that free view now in NCL's fleet. All the other NCL ships have decks upon decks of private cabins there now.

As you note, Alaska is a great place for a forward looking lounge, with sweeping vistas. This is especially true when the weather is not conducive to spending a lot of time outdoors.

Even when there is no land to see, it was enjoyable to watch the vista of the ocean from an inside lounge. That was a great treat on the US West Coast repositioning cruises.

As you note, Alaska is a great place for a forward looking lounge, with sweeping vistas. This is especially true when the weather is not conducive to spending a lot of time outdoors.

Even when there is no land to see, it was enjoyable to watch the vista of the ocean from an inside lounge. That was a great treat on the US West Coast repositioning cruises.

I would agree it would probably be terribly missed by some. And I can only go by one cruise I took in the Caribbean that had the spinnaker at the front.

But with regards to cost effectiveness, from your experience would it have been used enough in other markets besides the colder climate cruises to warrant keeping it there and not having the suites. I really think NCL needed to look at the bigger picture.

The "word on the street" is that, yes, they plan to do the same to the other ships in the class. But they have not made any official pronouncement on it that I have seen, so, until they do, it is just rumor.

If NCL converts all the Spinnaker observation lounges to suites, that might be a deal breaker for us cruising NCL since I spend a lot of free time there, especially on sea days. And we choose cruises with lots of sea days. And there is no way we can afford a suite.

Edited by NMLady

The Pearl, and maybe the rest of the Jewel class ships (I can't remember if the Pride of Hawaii/Jade had one or not), have the Great Outdoors buffet, seating area, and a bar at the back of the ship. Hubby and I loved sitting out there, having a drink, and enjoying the view as the ship left ports. Did they remove them :confused:?

Edited by Azure Moon

Perhaps it was underused and more money could be made with the new suites. I think they shoud leave it up front on some of their ships and just have those ships sail in the colder areas (Alaska & Boston-Quebec in the fall). When we were on the Dawn in the Caribbean and wondered there during sea days. Unless there was activities going on there was only about a dozen people in there. I don't see that as being cost effective compared to now. I can't say the new Spinnaker on the Star was overly pretty, it appeared to have a cave like feel to it. But it served it's function, which as I see it was to hold activities.

Underused is exactly why I like Spinnaker, it's nice to go to a quiet place on the ship and take in the scenery, have a drink and Trivia :-)

I might sound cranky but I come from the old school and have cruised long enough to remember what we had. NCL Westward had the best observation because you could look down and see the bow as well.

I remember when Bingo jackpots were $6,000 on a 1500 passenger ship and now 3,000 passengers are playing for $700 if lucky.

Newer cruisers are unaware of what has disappeared and are less likely to be as cranky as me. Reduction of passenger /space ratio is never a good thing. I remember on NCL Dream, art auctions would be held up in the Observ. Lounge but if you were not bidding, you could still have a table and enjoy the lounge. I rarely see conference rooms being used, I wish they would convert them and leave Spinnaker alone.

Underused is exactly why I like Spinnaker, it's nice to go to a quiet place on the ship and take in the scenery, have a drink and Trivia :-)

I might sound cranky but I come from the old school and have cruised long enough to remember what we had. NCL Westward had the best observation because you could look down and see the bow as well.

I remember when Bingo jackpots were $6,000 on a 1500 passenger ship and now 3,000 passengers are playing for $700 if lucky.

Newer cruisers are unaware of what has disappeared and are less likely to be as cranky as me. Reduction of passenger /space ratio is never a good thing. I remember on NCL Dream, art auctions would be held up in the Observ. Lounge but if you were not bidding, you could still have a table and enjoy the lounge. I rarely see conference rooms being used, I wish they would convert them and leave Spinnaker alone.

I understand completely, which is why I said it would be terribly missed by some. But as I stated on another thread. NCL is looking for creative ways to decrease wasted space (meaning not used by a majority of cruisers) and increasing revenue (new suites).

Since they fill their ships pretty well every week, keeping everyone super happy is not going to be their goal. But to deliver a decent product at a decent price and get people to spend once they are on board.

Sorry you had to lose the spinnaker, it sounds like you really enjoyed it.

If NCL converts all the Spinnaker observation lounges to suites, that might be a deal breaker for us cruising NCL since I spend a lot of free time there, especially on sea days. And we choose cruises with lots of sea days. And there is no way we can afford a suite.

The word on the street you just quoted was from August 2010......they have already converted "ALL" the ships in the Dawn Class (all two of them - the Star and the Dawn). The "word" never was about the Jewel Class ships so there is nothing to worry about.

The word on the street you just quoted was from August 2010......they have already converted "ALL" the ships in the Dawn Class (all two of them - the Star and the Dawn). The "word" never was about the Jewel Class ships so there is nothing to worry about.

Glad to hear that the Jewel Class NCL ships (Jewel, Gem, and Jade) all have Spinnaker lounges. I will be looking at their itineraries for future cruises, and having that feature will definately be a plus as I make my comparisons with other ships/lines.

I really enjoyed the Star's Spinnaker on my Alaskan cruise and would never cruise Alaska again in a ship without such a lounge.

However, I did book the Star again for my 14 day New York to New Orleans cruise because an indoor observation area is not as important on a Caribbean cruise.

The loss of the Spinnaker on the Star and the Dawn is a great loss for a lot of people. I sailed Star this past August to Alaska and all I heard was disappointment with having few places to view the outdoors. NCL has also removed most of their lounges on Promenade deck, so slowly there are less places to enjoy the sea. Epic has virtually none.

I am an avid NCL passenger having just completed my 18 cruise with them. We are very close to looking elsewhere, not just because of the Spinnaker problems but because NCL is too involved with making every dime count. I know it's a business, but for us, it's getting to be too much.

What we are doing is getting a balcony for our upcoming Panama Canal trip and an inside for Canada on the Dawn due to the weather. I hope NCL becomes aware that cruisers spend a lot of money and we do not have to be forced to.

The loss of the Spinnaker on the Star and the Dawn is a great loss for a lot of people. I sailed Star this past August to Alaska and all I heard was disappointment with having few places to view the outdoors. NCL has also removed most of their lounges on Promenade deck, so slowly there are less places to enjoy the sea. Epic has virtually none.

I am an avid NCL passenger having just completed my 18 cruise with them. We are very close to looking elsewhere, not just because of the Spinnaker problems but because NCL is too involved with making every dime count. I know it's a business, but for us, it's getting to be too much.

What we are doing is getting a balcony for our upcoming Panama Canal trip and an inside for Canada on the Dawn due to the weather. I hope NCL becomes aware that cruisers spend a lot of money and we do not have to be forced to.

I think your statements about the Star are misleading.

With moving the Spinnaker to the aft position on deck 7, the Star actually has more lounge space than before on that deck.

The conversion of the space on deck 12 (formerly Spinnaker) has resulted in creating a lot of revenue from a formerly under-utilized part of the ship. In addition, it has provided some excellent viewing locations for those who choose to book those suites.

I understand that the conversion was not popular with the few who did use the Spinnaker, but my observations were that many times the Spinnaker had less than twenty people using it during the daytime unless some organized activity was being held there.

NCL has also removed most of their lounges on Promenade deck, so slowly there are less places to enjoy the sea. .

Sorry I'm not sure what ship you are talking about. But the Star in February 2011 had loungers on the promenade deck as far as we could see.

IMG_0718.jpg.35f47f5083ec718c2d41a0bc5bac4cbe.jpg

Just got off the Gem. Very few lounges on promenade. Mostly a few sit up chairs. Don't remember any on the Star, but that was Alaska. I knew I'd stir things up a bit, as I was also very defensive of NCL and still am when I think it's minor things people are complaining about.

As far as not using the Spinnaker, we couldn't get seats on our last cruise on Gem and the same for the Jewel last year. Guess it's different cruises, different situations.

I'll be more aware on our upcoming cruise on Jewel but I think for a lot of people the loss of the Spinnaker is a disappointment. That's why Star will not sail Alaska this coming season.