Children's program - age question

yazeee1

You are totally missing the point, rules are not made to be broken. Don't you think your son would question the age thing when he finds out he is the only 5 year old in the program? His key card and other things will have his age on it. Won't he wonder why the date is wrong? sorry, remember he will not be the only almost 6 year old in the group. He can hang out with the other 5 year olds. You do not have any other options, but it seems you don't want to accept this. The sooner you accept it and explain it to him, but better off he will be. Your being unhappy with the policy will rub off on him and could spoil his cruise.

Nita

Nita -

Very useful info here. This is the first I've heard about a key card having an age on it. I didn't know you even got key cards with a name or anything. And I didn't know my kids would get their own. I was assuming key cards like you get at a hotel, and I never give those to my kids. It was also useful that another poster described signs around the Kids Club about the strict age designations. I have not discussed this issue at all with them or within earshot and I never intended to, and knowing this information now is very helpful. I was thinking it was simply an age on a form for check-in and that's the last you see of it.

About the "rules", it does seem like NCL knows people break them, like booking rooms and then switching around cabins after boarding for various reasons. I've been told that everyone does it, NCL knows, and it's no problem. Winking at a cheap bottle of wine hidden in someone's carry-on. Not enforcing the rules with towel hogs. Letting kids stay in hot tubs. Kids roaming around unsupervised.... How am I to know which other rules are enforced?

NCL will not make any accomodation for you at all. You can ask and they will tell you NO.

Carnival will be flexible. Royal has been flexible with us before. But never NCL.

I had a friend with a almost 6 year old and Carnival would not be flexible at all with her. They insisted her son stay in the 2-5 year old group so I am not sure how you got them to be flexible with you.

Nita -

Very useful info here. This is the first I've heard about a key card having an age on it. I didn't know you even got key cards with a name or anything. And I didn't know my kids would get their own. I was assuming key cards like you get at a hotel, and I never give those to my kids. It was also useful that another poster described signs around the Kids Club about the strict age designations. I have not discussed this issue at all with them or within earshot and I never intended to, and knowing this information now is very helpful. I was thinking it was simply an age on a form for check-in and that's the last you see of it.

About the "rules", it does seem like NCL knows people break them, like booking rooms and then switching around cabins after boarding for various reasons. I've been told that everyone does it, NCL knows, and it's no problem. Winking at a cheap bottle of wine hidden in someone's carry-on. Not enforcing the rules with towel hogs. Letting kids stay in hot tubs. Kids roaming around unsupervised.... How am I to know which other rules are enforced?

Let me clarify one thing or more than one: no, the names will not be on the keycards, only the ages if the child is under age, no one is going to have you age on a card. As for NCL allowing rules to be broken, this is not just NCL, none of the cruise lines enforce the chair hog policy (not the towel hog I will add) nor do they enforce the hot tub policy. This goes for the cabin switching as well, so don't think this is just NCL. As for the bottle of wine, it is rare that anyone gets to bring it on without a corkage fee. It did happen to us, but that was about 5 or so years ago. As for kids roaming around unsurpervised, again, it is a policy, not a law. Forging documents is more than a policy, it is a law. Kids must have proper government ID when boarding the ship, changing a birthdate is breaking the law.

I do understand where you are coming from, but consider why there is an age policy..If they make an exception for you, how many more should they make an exception for? One time, a few years ago we were on Princess and one mother in our M&G group tried to het her son moved up. It wasn't even a crowded sailing. He was maybe, a month of so from 9 (I don't remeber exactly) had cruised about 10 time or more, an only child, very mature, very large and a little bit dorkey I will add. Princess said, sorry, no can do.

This parent think his kid is too mature for a younger group, this mom thinks her little one should be with big sister or brother, this one says, but he will be the next age in just a week. Do you get my point? You can ask, I am not saying they never bend, but don't expect them to let you move him and be prepared to let him know what the rules are and why. We don't always like policies, but most of us have learned to live with them. I hate not being able to bring a bottle of wine on for consumption in my cabin without paying $15.00.

Nita

NCL will not make any accomodation for you at all. You can ask and they will tell you NO.

Carnival will be flexible. Royal has been flexible with us before. But never NCL.

I had a friend with a almost 6 year old and Carnival would not be flexible at all with her. They insisted her son stay in the 2-5 year old group so I am not sure how you got them to be flexible with you.

and I have heard and read on the RCI board this same complaint, the cruise line wouldn't budge. I do think there is a rare time, when there are only a few kids exceptions have been made.

Nita

• 4 years later...

YOUTH AND TEEN PROGRAM POLICIES and INFORMATION

YOUTH/TEENS

Parents must complete the one time registration form for youth/teens to participate in Splash Academy/Entourage Teen Programs. Once this form is complete, children/teens are free to participate as often as they like.

It is requested that parents advise of any allergies, medications or special needs on the form to help us better serve your child(ren). Light snacks may be served during special programming.

*Identification bracelets must be worn by the child throughout the duration of the cruise. Bracelet reprints will result in a $5.00 fee charged to your onboard account.

On sea days Splash Academy will close from 12:00pm to 2:00pm and from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Penalties may apply if the children are not picked up on time.

Activities are subject to change without notice. Children should wear dry clothing and proper footwear.

Youth/Teens with symptoms of illness may need to be evaluated by the medical staff before being admitted or readmitted into Youth/Teen Splash/Entourage Programs.

The Youth Staff is not able to assist children in the washrooms or change diapers.

No pulling up/down pants

No buttoning/unbuttoning pants

No wiping assistance

A beeper or handy phone will be issued to alert you that your child needs assistance.

Beepers and handy phones do not work ashore. If a handy phone or beeper is issued to you and your child is signed into the program, at least one parent/authorized pick-up person is required to stay on board. Not responding to a page or call may result in a diaper changing fee and/or dismissal from program.

The Youth Staff is not allowed to accept heavily crying or sleeping children into the Program. The children must be able to enter the program willingly.

If a child falls asleep, the staff is directed to call the parent for pick up. This does not apply to Port Play or Late Night Fun Zone.

The Youth Staff make every effort to care for our young cruisers; however, they are directed to call the parent in the event their child is crying for more than 15 minutes.

Private one-on-one care is not available. Contact the Youth Program Manager for special needs requests.

Parents, friends, and relatives are only allowed in the Splash Academy/Entourage Center on Embarkation during the registration process.

Splash Academy and Entourage Teen Centers are “Adult-Free Zones” (18+) regardless of which program is taking place.

Parents are ultimately responsible for the behavior of their youth/teen while onboard the ship (even when not present).

TEENS

Teens are responsible for any personal items brought to activities and events.

Teens, ages 13-17, are prohibited from smoking, drinking alcohol, and using profanity when participating in our programs.

Violence, swearing and vandalism will not be tolerated.

Parents or guardians will be financially responsible for any damage to property of Norwegian Cruise Line caused by their teen on board the vessel.

The Entourage is an unsupervised space when programs are not in session or when programming takes place in an alternative venue. The teens are free to enter and leave Entourage as they please. Times are not monitored.

YOUTH/TEEN PROGRAMS and AGE GROUP POLICIES

The youth program options are Splash Academy complimentary programs, Port Play (with supervision of meal charge), and Late Night Fun Zone (Hourly Charge) for children 3-12 years old. The Entourage Teen Program is complementary for teens 13-17 years old.

The Splash Academy offers Freestyle Free Play (FSFP). FSFP are scheduled time slots for friends and siblings ages 3-12 to play together. The Youth Program Manager reserves the right to keep 3 & 4 year olds separate with fun programming when the children counts are high for safety reasons. At the conclusion of FSFP, the age groups will be separated for program.

Age groupings are 3-5 year olds, 6-9 year olds, 10-12 year olds, and 13-17 year olds. (Depending on the number of kids onboard, 6-12 yr olds may be combined).

Children must be at least three (3) years old to participate in Splash Academy based on date of birth at the time of sailing according to the ships manifest. No exceptions can be made. Children under 3 and their parents are welcome to participate in the Guppies Program.

Children turning three (3) years old during the cruise are welcome to participate on their birthday.

Children turning six (6) years old during the cruise are welcome to register for and participate in the 6-9 year old age group beginning embarkation evening.

Children turning ten (10) years old during the cruise are welcome to register for and participate in the 10-12 year old age group beginning embarkation evening. Sign in and out privileges only apply after the child turns 10.

*A parent(s) can authorize their 10-12 year old to sign themselves in and out of program after two hours of active participation. Parents must make the first initial drop off and sign in so the Youth Staff have the opportunity to meet you. In order to sign themselves in and out of program the 10-12 must have their key cards with them .A parent can pick up the child within the two hours if an earlier pick up is desired. This authorization does not apply while the ship is docked or during Late Night Fun Zone. The authorization ends nightly at 10:30pm when they must sign out unless previously signed up by their parents for the Late Night program. The late night fees will begin at 10:45pm.

Children turning thirteen (13) years old during the cruise are welcome to participate in the Entourage Center on their birthday. The Teen Staff will make every effort to ensure the transition is a special event. No exceptions can be made.

DROP OFF and PICK UP PEOPLE

Parents may select up to 4 people (including parents) to drop off and pick up their child 3-12* from Splash Academy. The authorized people must be at least 18 years old and must be listed on the Registration.

*Children 10-12 can be authorized by their parents to sign themselves in and out of program after 2 hours of active participation in the program. If authorization is not granted, only an authorized person over 18 years old may drop off or pick up the 10-12 year old to/from Splash Academy. Please have a photo ID ready for drop off or pick up.

SPECIAL NEEDS REQUESTS

Parents of children with special needs, please see the Youth Program Manager for additional information.

PAGERS/HANDY PHONES

A pager or handy phone is issued to parents of children in diapers or children with special needs. If additional devices are available, they can be issued upon request. A pager/handy phone fee of $150.00 will be applied to your onboard account if the device is not returned or if it is returned broken.

PORT PLAY SUPERVISED MEALS and LATE NIGHT FUN ZONE GROUP SITTING SERVICE

Port Play and Late Night Fun Zone are both group sitting services for children ages 3-12 years old run by the Youth Staff. All activities take place in the Splash Academy. The Port Play supervision of the meal charge is $6.00 per child. The Late Night Fun Zone Group Sitting charge is $6.00 per hour per child and $4.00 per hour for each additional sibling in the immediate family. Charges are applied directly to your onboard account. There is 15 minute transition time before any charges will be applied between programs.

Late Night is scheduled nightly from 10:30pm – 1:30am. It is requested that children are signed up in advance for the desired service. If no children are signed up or dropped off by 11:30pm the center will close for the evening.

YOUTH (3-12yrs) 4-STEP DISCIPLINE POLICY

STEP 1: Warning: The Youth staff addresses the child and it is explained that his/her behavior is unacceptable and needs to be improved immediately.

STEP 2: Time out: If the child continues to disobey the Youth Staff, a time out is issued and the parents are notified at pick-up time.

STEP 3: Suspension: If a time out is not effective in eliminating the inappropriate behavior, the parents are located and the child is grounded from the program for 24 hours. After 24 hours the child is welcome to return to program.

STEP 4: Dismissal: Once the child is allowed back into the program after the initial dismissal, if any disobedient behaviors continue, the child will no longer be allowed to participate.

Depending on the nature of the behavior, the more severe behaviors may warrant a higher discipline as deemed appropriate by the Youth Program Manager.

TEEN (13-17yrs) DISCIPLINE POLICY

STEP 1: Verbal Warning: Teens exhibiting inappropriate behavior will be asked to stop immediately.

STEP 2: 24-Hour Dismissal with Parent/Ship Notification: If the inappropriate behavior does not stop, he/she will be dismissed from the Teen Center and Teen Program for 24 hours. Parents and Ship Security will be notified.

IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL: Any teen passenger exhibiting violence, vandalism or intoxication when participating in the Teen Program or using the Teen Center will result in immediate dismissal for the entire sailing. Parents and Ship Security will be notified.

SAFETY

YOUTH

In the event of a ship emergency while your child is signed into the Splash Academy

1. Child care team shall gather the children in their care and bring them safely to the Child-Pick-Up-Point where the children can be claimed by their parents. An announcement will be made as to the location of the Child-Pick-Up-Point.

2. On the order of the Captain, if children are not claimed, Child Care Team will accompany the children into a designated lifeboat.

TEENS

Teens are personally responsible for proceeding to their Assembly Stations. Parents should ensure that their teen(s) are familiar with their Assembly Station location number or letter. This information can be found on the guest key card and on the back of the stateroom door. It is strongly suggested that no teen go ashore alone in any port of call.

For overall safety, parents are responsible for their children at all times, even when not present.

FAMILY ACTIVITIES

The Youth Staff do not take the children to the Family Activities. If a child is interested in attending, a parent/authorized pick up person must sign the child(ren) out of program. At least one parent must attend Family Activities in duration for their child(ren) to be eligible for participation.

GUPPIES PROGRAM

The Guppies offers a play space for parents and children 3 years old and younger. This space requires parent supervision. Please refer to the Guppies activity program for the location, dates, times, along with a schedule interactive painting and sensory play classes. The schedule varies per ship and itinerary.

INTERNET/ARCADE

24 hour Internet Service and Arcade Games are available on the ship and are accessible with your stateroom key card. Fees are charged directly to your onboard account. Parents, if you do not wish your child to have access, please visit the reception desk and deactivate your child’s card. For these services please contact Guest Services.

I don't understand why people don't just schedule a different cruise. If your kid is truly going to turn 9 in four days, and you want them to be in the older group, just schedule a week later. If you go ahead and schedule the week before, then just accept that a consequence of doing so is that your kid is going to be in a younger group. This isn't rocket science.

no exceptions are made EXCEPT the week of there birthday and only 5 year old turning 6 and 9year old turning 10....NO exceptions are made for 2 year old or 12 year olds.

-Youth program Manager- Norwegian BREAKAWAY

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Are you the youth program director on the BA or is that your source for your information?

YOUTH AND TEEN PROGRAM POLICIES and INFORMATION

YOUTH/TEENS

Children turning three (3) years old during the cruise are welcome to participate on their birthday.

Children turning six (6) years old during the cruise are welcome to register for and participate in the 6-9 year old age group beginning embarkation evening.

Children turning ten (10) years old during the cruise are welcome to register for and participate in the 10-12 year old age group beginning embarkation evening. Sign in and out privileges only apply after the child turns 10.

*A parent(s) can authorize their 10-12 year old to sign themselves in and out of program after two hours of active participation. Parents must make the first initial drop off and sign in so the Youth Staff have the opportunity to meet you. In order to sign themselves in and out of program the 10-12 must have their key cards with them .A parent can pick up the child within the two hours if an earlier pick up is desired. This authorization does not apply while the ship is docked or during Late Night Fun Zone. The authorization ends nightly at 10:30pm when they must sign out unless previously signed up by their parents for the Late Night program. The late night fees will begin at 10:45pm.

Thank you for posting the above you actually beat me to it!!!

My daughter will be turning 10 the second night of our cruise. We are planning on leaving her in the 6 to 9 group UNLESS she wants to go the next age group but I think she would rather be with her brother who will be 7!