What are you taking to read on your next cruise?

tuggers

The worst feeling is when you get to the end of a much-loved series. Thanks for the new suggestions to add to my own list.

In case I missed these suggestions --

Series by Alexander McCall Smith -- Ladies Detective Series takes place in Africa, Philosophy Club Series takes place in Scotland

MC Beaton Series - Hamish McBeth (Scotland) and Agatha Raisin(Cotswolds). Both very quirky character mysteries.

A bit lighter are the Recipe Mystery series by Dianne Mott Davison & Joanne Fluke

They are all like candy but not fattening. I find on cruises I have to have a book with me but rarely get through one. The balcony is the best place I have found to read -- Just my opinion

Happy cruising.

I like to lay by the pool or on a beach so I read then. Also I read before bed so I manage to go through a book about every day and a half.

Some of the libraries onboard are pretty good but since I'm booked on Mercury for four I need to take books with me. The selection there is very limited and I've been on her enough to have read everything they have that I like.

loves2read, that is a great site. Try the Murder on the Beach one. It's pretty good, too.

I like to lay by the pool or on a beach so I read then. Also I read before bed so I manage to go through a book about every day and a half.

Some of the libraries onboard are pretty good but since I'm booked on Mercury for four I need to take books with me. The selection there is very limited and I've been on her enough to have read everything they have that I like.

loves2read, that is a great site. Try the Murder on the Beach one. It's pretty good, too.

Hey Tug..don't you doze when reading?

What fun is it reading if you don't doze off every

0:15 minutes or so?

I take a week or so to read a book, I bring with me..

The best part of reading is the dozes that come with the books... :D;)

Remember, if you lug books onboard and you don't want to lug them back home--leave them at the ship's library for another passenger to enjoy.

And, because of this thread, I've ordered a Kindle. I'm very excited!! It is out of stock on Amazon so I'm on the waiting list. My Equinox cruise isn't until November and I'm making a list of all your recommendation that I want to load once it comes. I'm a beach and pool reader so it was great to hear no trouble reading a Kindle there.:)

I haven't read the whole thread. I know that most are suggesting books to read. I recently purchased an MP3 player. I've been downloading books from my library and listening to them. The MP3player is smaller than a pack of cigarettes and the books have been free. Will be very easy to take on my next cruise.

It sounds as if almost everyone who responded to this thread prefers fiction. Is there anyone who enjoys non fiction? I just finished reading "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis and thought it was one of the best books I have read lately.

Count me in as a non-fiction fan, mostly biographies 16th to 19th century, and works like "Perfect Storm".. the key is to get a great writer!

Phillipa Gregory's 'The White Queen', 'The Red Queen', basically a take on the War of the Roses, and the House of Plantaganet.

Ken Follet's 'World Without End'.

Anything Dean Koontz.

If it is a book I know I will not read again, I usually donate it to the ship library.

I just love these "book" threads. Such great ideas.

(I also want to second "World War Z" by Max Brooks. Reads like a non fiction account of a zombie uprising w/ interviews of various people in government, military, medical sciences) And for a really fun read is the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. It has everything you need to know about how to survive a zombie attack. ie: Only 1 in 4 Zombies can climb stairs/ a ladder. And they can't drive, either. Bet you didn't know that! Ok maybe you did.

It sounds as if almost everyone who responded to this thread prefers fiction. Is there anyone who enjoys non fiction? I just finished reading "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis and thought it was one of the best books I have read lately.

I hardly ever read fiction.

I always have a non-fiction book on a cruise.

"TRUTH is stranger than fiction..." :p

I just received "FIGHTER PILOT"

The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds, for my upcoming cruise in 2 weeks, or so...

Loads of FREE books available for the Kindle and other electronic books available! Nothing better that finding books you want to read for free.

Sue

TOTALLY agree! Love my Kindle and the free books you can get. Saves weight in luggage too! No more books to carry.

I seem to be in the minority here - I read 'chick lit' on holiday - light books that I don't need to concentrate on. I sort of give my brain a holiday too ! :)

I do some of that, too - Jennifer Weiner, Lauren Weisberger, Danielle Steele, etc. Those are usually in the library on the ship.

I have a cruise in November and another booked in May. Like the author of the thread, I haven't jumped on the e reader bandwagon just yet so I am bringing actual books. I am not sure how I am breaking them up yet, but... I have:

The Stieg Larsen series

The Twilight series

The last book of the Frankenstien series, but Dean Koontz

The latest Lee Child book from the Reacher Series

(if you haven't noticed, I like series! LoL)

TOTALLY agree! Love my Kindle and the free books you can get. Saves weight in luggage too! No more books to carry.

Susan always brings her books and, has left them in the ships libraries. These new Kindle books will elimanate people leaving their books aboard...

Non-fiction: "Legacy of Ashes," a history of the CIA, and "Reading in the Brain," about how the brain works when reading and learning to read (I'm an English teacher).

Fiction: I have the Sony eReader and I love it. I can download up to 12 books from the New York Public Library at a time. I never buy fiction anymore. I did the math, and at the rate I read it's cheaper to have the Sony than to buy books that I just donate or give away.

I'm pretty much a non-fiction fanatic and on my new Kindle 3 (much improved over my Kindle 1) I have "The Story of the Lost City of Z", "Tears in the Darkness", "Packing for Mars", and "Stiff" among many others. On my last cruise, from Rio to NYC, I read over 30 books so the Kindle is a necessity.

Archived