Pregnant while on board

justschuttme

I know that you can cruise while pregnant (up to 24 weeks), but I would like some advice from those who have actually done it. There is a potential that I will be for our cruise on NCL Epic and wanted to hear from those who have come before me. Thanks :)

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and just got off a 7 day Europe cruise. The only real differences were that I could not use "the patch" that I usually use for sea sickness and that our bill was less than normal (no alcohol for me).

We did have 2 nights that were very rough seas and I used sea bands and took a dramamine (on the "safe" list from my dr). The dramamine knocked me out and when I woke up I was fine (mind you, there were many feeling a lot worse than me).

I did have a virgin version of my favorite cocktail at sailaway which was a nice way to start the cruise.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

As long as YOU feel fine, and your doctor say's its ok, then go for it! Do bring the doctor's note, to prove you're "fit for travel"....

Just remember, it's not going to be quite the same experience as if you weren't pregnant, but that's ok, too!

I was 6 weeks pregnant on our Disney Wonder Cruise. The one big change for me was not having any alcohol. Usually when I cruise, we get wine with dinner. This time I had a Shirley Temple. :) I used the spa but let them know ahead of time that I was pregnant. I had a facial and pedicure and both were lovely. I used the pools (no hot tub though), swam in the ocean and did everything else I normally do. I started getting morning sickness on the last day of the cruise so I didn't have as much of an appetite as I normally do.

Rules might be different then than now, but my wife cruised at ~28 weeks 10 years ago, it was our 10th anniversary can't remember if we broke any rules but it was our third and she does well ( thus three :D )

From my prospective it was clear like every child each pregnancy can be very different and a great experience or an easy first one is no gurantee of the next one being the same or easy! Of course doctor consuluation is a must, be who knows, even the doctor how and when you might suddenly go into a period of sensitivity or difficulty.

My wife got a nasty eye infection/growth and we hit a tough patch of ocean. We went to see the doctor and he pretty much wouldn't touch her. We did little in the ports as the last one wasn't as smooth as the others, YMMV of course.

In hindsight I don't think I'd have done different for our anniversary but a ship is really a different risk then a landbased vacation where medical care is set, food is safer and of course land doesn't move. How it turned out for us could be the same for you or very different, in somethign like this hopefully you take our advice with a huge grain of salt.

I know that you can cruise while pregnant (up to 24 weeks), but I would like some advice from those who have actually done it. There is a potential that I will be for our cruise on NCL Epic and wanted to hear from those who have come before me. Thanks :)

I was 21 weeks pregnant with DD when we went on a 10 day cruise. I had a wonderful trip. I felt good and things were great! I did most things that I would normally do except no drinking or hot tubs! It was a very memorable trip. It was our oh my word we are having a baby we need to get away together before we have her trip.

I was 11 weeks pregnant when I went on my last cruise. (Now that little bean from my belly is about to go on her first cruise at age 2.5!) The morning sickness hit me right at 5 weeks and it wrapped up literally about 48 hours before we set sail so I didn't have much of a problem with that. I was exhausted being in my first trimester, but that was the beauty of my vacation.....I could go to the room and sleep whenever I wanted or needed. Can't exactly do that when I'm at work :)

Bring anything that will help you with morning sickness, if applicable. If you're prone to motion sickness, make sure your cabin is on a lower deck and mid-ship so as not to make it any worse at night when you're sleeping. If you're farther along in your pregnancy, don't hesitate to pack a pregnancy pillow if you're using one (my snoogle was a LIFESAVER!). Sleep or rest when you need to and don't overdo it. Bring lightweight, loose-fitting clothing so you don't get too warm in port.

If you are pregnant when you sail and you're having a routine pregnancy with no complications, do everything as you normally would, just with any modifications you may need to make. I know if I'd have cruised at any point after about 18 weeks, I'd have had to reschedule as I started developing scary high BP.

Will it be your first pregnancy? If not, how have you felt on previous pregnancies (nausea, fatigue, etc)?

How many weeks do you estimate you will/might be?

I haven't cruised while pregnant but have taken trips at various stages including long international flights, bumpy ferry rides, new foods... always felt great, but it's different for everyone.

Will it be your first pregnancy? If not, how have you felt on previous pregnancies (nausea, fatigue, etc)?

How many weeks do you estimate you will/might be?

No, it will be my second. During the first I was just VERY tired during the first trimester (like everyone else) and my only complaint was that he was sitting on a nerve in my back from about week 20 to week 30. It was a totally normal (long) pregnancy with no complications. If I get pregnant right away I will be 21-22 weeks, but if not then earlier. Thanks in advance for advice. :)

If you're farther along in your pregnancy, don't hesitate to pack a pregnancy pillow if you're using one (my snoogle was a LIFESAVER!).

I was obsessed with mine the first time around, and I will be bringing it out the day the test comes back positive!!! Thanks for the response. :)

No, it will be my second. During the first I was just VERY tired during the first trimester (like everyone else) and my only complaint was that he was sitting on a nerve in my back from about week 20 to week 30. It was a totally normal (long) pregnancy with no complications. If I get pregnant right away I will be 21-22 weeks, but if not then earlier. Thanks in advance for advice. :)

Hope you get pregnant and have an easy pregnancy. I'm sure a nice cruise vacation will help pass time and renew your energy, even with the mild discomfort of tiredness or backache.

I cruised at 20 weeks. It wasn't much different from other cruises I've done. I didn't drink, so that was different. I was careful about choosing our excursions, but it was Alaska and we hadn't planned anything very daring anyway.

I was barely showing and not many people even knew I was pregnant.

We joke with DS that he's been on three cruises, not just two, since he was in utero for the first one.

I haven't yet but i will be in October. I'll be 16 weeks then. Im not a big drinker so that wont be any different, im perfectly content with a virgin daquiri. The only thing i'll really miss is the hot tub. But, hey, i figure we can pig out at the buffet and not feel guilty :D

I got married on a carnival cruise and my sister came along, she was 20 weeks pregnant. She said it was fine, the only problem she had was that she got tired much easier. Her and her boyfriend usually do a lot of exploring and beach time but she found she was really tired after a short walk and couldnt do her normal hour long hike.

I don't know what it is about me, but I have three children and have cruised pregnant three times.

The first time I was around 20 weeks, we went to Alaska. I was completely fine that time; was finished feeling sick and had a lot of energy. My only problem was clothes. I was at that stage where when I woke up my jeans buttoned, but by the time I went to bed, they didn't button. But, it was July, and I didn't have any maternity jeans and since it was the middle of the summer, but I needed Alaskan appropriate attire, so I really was stuck for clothes.

The second time I was in my first trimester, maybe 10-11 weeks. I was definitely in that "exhausted" stage, but being on the cruise was great. I didn't have to get up early, go to work, cook dinner, clean etc for a whole week during that cruise. Yes, I got tired earlier at night, but that was OK with me. I never get seasick, but there was one day when the seas were rocky and I felt really sick when we were up in the buffet and had to go lay down. We went with friends, so I was happy to stay in the cabin with our almost tow year old daughter while she slept and my husband still got to go out in the evening.

The third time I was as close to the max as I could be, I turned 24 weeks the Tuesday after we returned from our sailing. That was a nice trip, too. I was beyond being sick, was definitely in all maternity clothes, so there was no hemming and hawing over what to clothes to bring, etc.

Of course, I didn't drink alcohol when on any of those cruises, so it did help keep the costs down!

I cruised at 15-16 weeks with my 3d pregnancy. She is now 3 and will go on her 2nd cruise in January (her 3d if you count when I was pregnant!). I took a letter from my doctor but did not end up needing it. My OB also gave me prescription medication in case I got seasick (didn't need that either.)

I don't really drink much, so I did not miss it. I had morning sickness up until about 14 weeks. I felt great during the trip. It was a bit challenging finding clothes that would fit me for the trip. I wore my regular bathing suits as I was not big enough for a maternity one. I did, however, need to wear maternity pants and shorts. Since it was #3, I popped out sooner. I had an A-line dress that fit me for formal nights.

I was certainly glad that I went. I felt great and we had a wonderful trip. I have the memory of feeling her first kicks while on our cruise. I hope that you have good baby-news soon and that you enjoy your cruise, pregnant or not. If you are not, maybe you will be when you get back!:D

I cruised at 10w pregnant and like everyone else, I just avoided the hot tub and alcohol. It was great just relaxing and not having to cook and clean. My dr didn't want me taking any excursions over rough roads and there was an outbreak of dengue fever on some of the islands so I mostly just took advantage of the empty ship when we were in port. Good luck and enjoy.

I cruised at about 10 weeks with my first pregnancy... one thing that was really nice was that I could order different things off the menu when my food aversions would kick in... you know like when lamb chops sounded like the most delicious thing in the world until they showed up.... then I could order something else and pass them off to my husband! Harder to do that in a "real" restaurant!

I cruised at about 10 weeks with my first pregnancy... one thing that was really nice was that I could order different things off the menu when my food aversions would kick in... you know like when lamb chops sounded like the most delicious thing in the world until they showed up.... then I could order something else and pass them off to my husband! Harder to do that in a "real" restaurant!

Never thought of this! Perfect, one more reason this is the perfect vacation if you are pregnant. Thanks :)

One thing that nobody has mentioned is trip insurance. I would highly recommend this (if you are already pregnant when you get the insurance, you might have to get additional/separate coverage as some would consider it a pre-exisiting condition)! This would help to cover if your dr changes his/her mind about your abilty to travel, if you have medical needs while traveling, etc. We did not have to use ours, but the peace of mind was worth the additional money.

One thing that nobody has mentioned is trip insurance. I would highly recommend this (if you are already pregnant when you get the insurance, you might have to get additional/separate coverage as some would consider it a pre-exisiting condition)! This would help to cover if your dr changes his/her mind about your abilty to travel, if you have medical needs while traveling, etc. We did not have to use ours, but the peace of mind was worth the additional money.

Thanks, we skipped it since we are not pregnant yet. The back up plan is he will still take my son and bring a friend along (as NCL will allow you one name change on your reservation without a fee). It will be a bummer, but I would still like them to experience even if I have to stay home. Thanks :rolleyes:

I cruised at 16 weeks with my first and at 22 weeks with my second. Both were fantastic cruises and the second was in the middle of a hurricaine with huge swells!! I didnt get sea sick at all. Ate plenty of food, swam, relaxed and had a wonderful cruise. Sure it wasnt quite the same as not being pregnant but wonderful when someone cooks, cleans and entertains you for a week.

Thank you for starting this thread. I just found out that I'm pregnant, and have 3 cruises booked. I think I'll decide if I'm still going when final payment is due. I'll be 17 weeks for the first cruise, 22 weeks for second cruise, and the third will happen after I give birth.

I'll be 17 weeks for the first cruise, 22 weeks for second cruise, and the third will happen after I give birth.

Do remember with the third one (after you have your baby) that an infant under 6 months is not able to travel with you. Just a thought to keep in mind, after that we will be fine. :)

Archived