I hate this feeling....

bleuiz

Ugh, it is definitely a terrible feeling!! I got it after both my cruises and it lasted at least a week both times. Bonine, which I started the day before the cruise and continued taking 'til the package ran out (14 days), did not help at all. It rendered me pretty incapable of doing much, especially on the computer (scrolling pages and all). So, I have to remember to not schedule anything for the week after my cruise and that it needs to be a vacation week from my vacation.

This next cruise I'm not flying out until the day after the cruise, which should make things interesting, since that morning is when the feeling starts.

I just hope my legs don't swell to give me huge boneless "cankles" again this time! That happened on the last cruise and I had to try walking through airports like that - NOT fun!!

As a few have posted to avoid this take meds.. BONINE.. GRAVOL whatever it is you need for 2 days after the cruise and you will not have the swaying motion...

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for everyone. :( And it isn't just a swaying motion for everyone.

Of course, I'm just glad I wasn't the guy I know who isn't allowed on ships anymore (by his doctor) because he experienced this feeling so badly for over a year after a cruise! :eek: I can't imagine having to live feeling so sick for so long!!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for everyone. :( And it isn't just a swaying motion for everyone.

Of course, I'm just glad I wasn't the guy I know who isn't allowed on ships anymore (by his doctor) because he experienced this feeling so badly for over a year after a cruise! :eek: I can't imagine having to live feeling so sick for so long!!

Hmm interesting .. did they take meds thru out the cruise to help them will this.. or is it just an inner ear issue or something more serious ???

Hmm interesting .. did they take meds thru out the cruise to help them will this.. or is it just an inner ear issue or something more serious ???

I don't know if he took meds during the cruise (another family member of mine was on the same cruise as him, not me), but I know he went to the doctor several times about it after the cruise. It is a rare condition that some ppl get and if he was to go on another ship, the effect would come back again. I believe this was after his at least second cruise (the same group had done another cruise previously) and I don't know what happened after his first cruise.

I do know on this second cruise they had some pretty rough seas, though - the cabin door in my family member's cabin even flew open in the middle of the night! And they had to cancel some of their seminars because ppl were feeling pretty sick (one guy apparently went pretty white in the face fairly quickly as they were sitting there).

I have had this before...during...and after menopause.....

I have a very sensitive equilibrium....I got nauseous (sp?)just looking at amusement rides.....or sitting in a car or train that is facing a different way than I am seated....

I do too. The first time I realized it I was trying to read in the car when I was really young. Then the next time was in third grade we went to Disney World and I went on the tea cup ride with friends. OMG I thought I was going to die.

But the feeling after the cruise, I never realized so many other people experienced that wooziness too. I hate the feeling. :(

I love the feeling! Makes my cruise last a few days longer :D

I don't mind it at all...I think it's a nice reminder of the fantastic vacation.

I don't mind the "still at sea" sensation.

what i have problems with is my first day home realizing that a busboy is not going to be bringing me rolls and a waiter isn't going to be bringing me a menu!

Mal de Debarkment... I, too, LOVE it!!!

I'll close my eyes just so it comes back. I'll sit really still just so it comes back.

I've heard of folks that continue to take the SeaSick meds for the few days after their cruise. That seems to work. Or the Sea Bands, continue wearing them.

I'm sorry this doesn't make you smile!!! Bless you!!!

It's called 'mal debarkment'...

I kinda like it when it happens, which is rare...

:)

Me too. I was kind of sad when the world STOPPED swaying a few days after the cruise. It meant I was really and truly back to being a landlubber.:(

As a few have posted to avoid this take meds.. BONINE.. GRAVOL whatever it is you need for 2 days after the cruise and you will not have the swaying motion...

Yesterday I bought Bonine and took 1 pill.....I fell asleep for more than 2 hours and felt dopey most of the day....

My pharmacist also recommended wearing the seabands (I had a pair at home) and I have had them on since yesterday.....

Today was less groggy (no bonine)....one nap and I woke up feeling more clear.....

:cool:

That after a cruise it takes days to stop the ship movement!! Here I'm sitting on my sofa...typing this and the room is rocking! (this happens after each cruise....I just have to deal with it....but I despise it!!)

I am looking forward to having that feeling again.....

Mal de Debarkment... I, too, LOVE it!!!

I'll close my eyes just so it comes back. I'll sit really still just so it comes back.

I've heard of folks that continue to take the SeaSick meds for the few days after their cruise. That seems to work. Or the Sea Bands, continue wearing them.

I'm sorry this doesn't make you smile!!! Bless you!!!

Made me smile...and I really needed too!!

Can not ride the kiddie rollercoaster..but never nauseated on a ship...and so far have really loved all the rides...but not my dear grandmother and it makes me sad because she didn't get all the travel in she had earned and deserved...just because my granddad was such a home body. And on her one big ship trip to Hawaii in the late 30's or early 40's..sicker than a dog both ways...

I have rocked a little for a couple of days after my 2 1 week cruises...

I just got back on the 29th from my Eastern Caribbean cruise (first one!) and feel totally out of it. I'm swaying so bad that I almost fall over. Aside from the suggested Bonine or Gravol is there anything else I can do? I hate this feeling and am worried what will happen when I have to go back to work (I have to drive a lot for my job). Should I be seeing a doctor? Is there anything a doctor can even do?

On my first cruise in 2008 I was the only one who got this, the minute we stepped off the ship. I had never heard of it before and the rest of my family thought I was strange. lucky it only lasted for the rest of that day. I really felt awful.

This is not unique to people coming off cruise ships. Navy Sailors do the same thing and my wife has told me many times that sailors just off a long cruise (i.e. 6 months) walk down the pier like it is pitching and rolling until we get used to not having to compensate for what the ship did.:D

Archived