Jamaica - Should Carnival take it off it's roster??

LCTXcruiser

Just for the record, we were at Montego Bay and didn't book an excursion through Carnival. Also, I know that everyone has different experiences. I just wanted to report what we went through.

We have been on many cruises and have never had an issue with grabbing a cab and going to where we wanted to go (until now). With that said, several of the people I spoke with did go on excursions, and still had some issues. However, I'm sure there had to be some that had a good time.

I definitely wouldn't classify myself as a "Jamaica Hater", but I will think twice before going again.

Just wanted to put that out there...

We booked with Carnival's excursion (Dunn's Falls and the bob sled) and had no problems. It was beautiful and we had a great time. Sometimes it pays to pay a little extra to insure a good safe experience. Especially somewhere like Jamaica.

Didnt help us. We were booked with an RCI sponsored tour and DW was held captive in the exit area of Dunns River Falls until I paid money to get out of there. Also, the bus driver and tour operator had to go back in and rescue someone from the abusive locals sell their garbage. It is the unsafest environment I've ever been in. Ain't going back thanks.

I'm all for personal choice so I don't want them to take it off the itineraries. That way those that love it can still go. For me, the last time we went we decided it would likely be the last time. It's a lovely place but there's an edge to it that just isn't relaxing for me. I think if I were at a resort for a week and only left to go to and from the airport I'd enjoy it but a day in port just doesn't do it for me any more. Everything is just too in-your-face for us.

I have visited Jamaica via cruise ship and once by land (7 day all inclusive). Not a place that I would go back to. One time too many but did not have a choice as went with other family members when it was the cruise and won a 7 day trip there which was an all inclusive and they WARNED us not to leave the premises after dark. This was the RESORT that told us that and it came from a man who lived on the island. So who knows, but there are many more, different, exciting places to go too IMOH.

Ok, I see several posts where people say they have been held "captive" or "abused" by aggressive locals. Do you mind providing some details please?

Was someone physicaly holding you? Were you physically pushed, tied up, gagged, dragged, etc?? :p

If No, then why cant you just get on with whatever you have to do?

Ok, I see several posts where people say they have been held "captive" or "abused" by aggressive locals. Do you mind providing some details please?

Was someone physicaly holding you? Were you physically pushed, tied up, gagged, dragged, etc?? :p

We definitely weren't physically pushed, tied up, gagged, dragged, etc.... However, when you're taking a cab back (with your child, no less), and told that if you don't pay them more money they were going to kick you out in an awful part of town... I would take that as a threat, or at the very least extortsion. Just my opinion.

I have visited Jamaica via cruise ship and once by land (7 day all inclusive). Not a place that I would go back to. One time too many but did not have a choice as went with other family members when it was the cruise and won a 7 day trip there which was an all inclusive and they WARNED us not to leave the premises after dark. This was the RESORT that told us that and it came from a man who lived on the island. So who knows, but there are many more, different, exciting places to go too IMOH.

Agreed and there would be other places I'd go to before Jamaica for an AI. It's just that I have considered it with a group and that's probably the only way we'd end up there again.

And re: your later post. I'd go to Bermuda every year if I could swing it.:)

Didnt help us. We were booked with an RCI sponsored tour and DW was held captive in the exit area of Dunns River Falls until I paid money to get out of there. Also, the bus driver and tour operator had to go back in and rescue someone from the abusive locals sell their garbage. It is the unsafest environment I've ever been in. Ain't going back thanks.

Held captive? Rescued? I say poppycock. There are vendors near the exit you can bypass or learn to say no to.

It doesn't have to be physical for people to feel threatened. If someone feels that this is not what they paid to go on vacation for it's entirely their choice to go elsewhere.

We've been to Ocho Rios several times and love it, so yeah I call BS on the "held captive" part. I'd like to hear the details of this situation. Either you walked into the wrong area, or were dealing with the cabbies you weren't supposed to.........maybe you were suckered into walking through the vendor market as you left the Falls, instead of heading for the exit .

As far as eliminating a port, lets start with Nassau........

It doesn't have to be physical for people to feel threatened. If someone feels that this is not what they paid to go on vacation for it's entirely their choice to go elsewhere.

Held captive and threatened are different things.

I was mostly asking about the poster that said they were held captive at the exit. When I read that, first thing that comes to mind is that they were physically held there...

No! We just went a few weeks ago and loved it. It was one of our favorite ports. We took a Carnival excursion and had absolutely no problems.

I booked that particular cruised because it WAS going to Jamaica. My boss is Jamaican and I heard so much about it, good and bad, that I had to see it for myself at least once.

Nobody approached us to buy ganja, the DRF guides were great, Dolphin Cove was beautiful, the the worst anyone did to us was when an old man introduced himself and tried to take my hand to bring me to show me his stuff. He didn't grab me or anything, just like a handshake. I just said "oh sorry, I'm in a hurry" and that was it. Edited to add that we also sat at a table not far from the exit while my son ate some jerk chicken, and nobody bothered us at all, which surprised me, and the guy who brought us the food was very friendly. We were sitting under some kind of tree that kept dropping nuts or something on us, and he's all like "oh, I'm sorry about that".

Yes, it did feel funny, after hearing all the horror stories, passing by the vendors at the end of DRF, but we kept moving and I had my shades on, so no eye contact. That sure wouldn't keep me away from there. Ya mon!

Just came back from a cruise yesterday. We went to Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Cozumel.

First off, I'd like to state that we had a wonderful time in Cayman and Cozumel. The people were a little pushy when selling, but we expect that (have to earn a living right?). Jamaica was a different story...

The shuttle buses were overcharging the passengers, taking them to places they didn't want to go (I'm guessing they get a kickback), and trying to get the passengers to stay on board so they could take them deep into Jamaica, for an additional fee of course.

On our ride back, the cab driver agreed to one fee to get us to the ship, and half way through told us that it would be $10.00 more, or we'd have to get out.

Apparently this was the experience of many of the Carnival guests. Obviously I didn't talk to every passenger on board (about 3k of them), but the 30 or 40 people I did ask had nothing good to say.

I don't want to turn this into a B**** fest, but I wanted to see what others thought?

Should Jamaica be taken off the roster?

PS - The one positive is that the water was beautiful!

I argee STOP GOING TO JAMAICA

We've been to Jamaica numerous times, both off of cruise ships and one time we stayed at a resort in Ocho Rios for a week. At the resort we were warned not to venture outside of the gates after dark - yes, by the RESORT. We had our eyes fully opened to how the people there act when the cruise ships are in port, and then how they act after the cruise ships leave. We were also warned - again by the resort - about the cabs.

We saw many incidents that took place during broad daylight, enough so that we didn't chance going out after dark! I myself was harrased and chased down the street by an overly agressive taxi driver - in the middle of the day. This occurred directly outside the gates where the cruise ships dock, in full view of the "guards", so I wouldn't say we wandered into the wrong area - unless you consider the island of Jamaica the "wrong area". Anyone who thinks this doesn't happen is incredibly naive. There are enough of these kind of unpleasant and downright frightening incidents that they bear being taken seriously.

We wouldn't avoid taking a cruise that stopped in Jamaica. We just won't ever get off the ship in Jamaica again.

By the way, there are islands that are MUCH more beautiful than Jamaica, in our opinion.

I have been to two AI's in Jamaica and stopped several times on our cruises. I just ignore the solicitation for drugs, but when my 20 year old daughter and I were twice approached for sex in their "safe" shopping area I had enough. Staying there for a week at a time we have seen all the sights we had wanted to. I thought a little shopping would be ok. I will never book a ship that stops there and if it did I would not leave the ship. Its a shame since I have met some very nice people there, but just not worth the hassle to me.

Was there for a 1 week land vacation (Montego Bay area) 15 years ago. Even then, we were warned by our resort not to venture out by ourselves. (did Dunn's River Falls thru hotel excursion) We have since been to Ochos Rios 3x by cruise ship. Have never had any problems - but we take ship excursions. As in any place, keep eyes open, and use caution. BTW - dd19 and I are usually "approached for sex" when we travel into NYC - so it can happen anywhere! (dd19 says I should take it as a compliment!:p)

Our excursion's last stop was the Taj Mahal shopping center, and it looked like a seedy little dump. I could see someone getting harrassed there, although nobody bothered us. We didn't stay that long though. I would skip that next time.

NO! I was on the Carnival destiny and we had a great time in Ocho Rios. We did a tour with a guy who drives a red license plate taxi. He was GREAT! I personally like to see more than just tourist attractions when I travel so it was nice to avoid the herds of people at the usual spots. He did whatever we asked. We did spend the first 2 hours or so on the same path as a cruise excursion (we were literally behind their bus) but we had a few other historical sites we wanted to see which he was glad to show us. We did not want the mass produced, overpriced jerk chicken available at the resorts for $12-15 so we asked him to take us to a good spot. We had the best jerk chicken we've tasted for about $7 for 2 people-not a tourist in site for miles. Got back in plenty of time. Total trip was about 5 hours and we paid $60 for 2 people. If I'm allowed to post his contact info and anyone wants it, please let me know.

We felt as safe as you should feel in a new place. I enjoyed it much more than Grand Cayman which was swarming with tourists and touristy spots although it did seem to have a higher standard of living.

It's kinda backwards to go and visit other countries and not want to be bothered with locals. There is more to OR than a pretty beach and Dunn's River. I think you are severely limiting yourself if that's all you attempt to do.

And we never once encountered any "abusive" locals. Maybe that is because of who we were with (he was an older gentleman and seemed to be well known). Some can be pushy but you have to learn to speak up and just say no.

Should Jamaica be taken off the roster?

NO.

Not all ports are the same. Having the same expectation for all ports in one itinerary and expecting to enjoy them equally isn't realistic. While some destinations have extensively invested in their infrastructure to make it easy on cruise ship passengers (like Cozumel), other islands have not, and it takes a bit of "research" (and money) to see what the island has to offer.

While other ports may be easily (and safely) explored by foot or through a local tour vendor, Jamaica is the kind of port where it pays off to stick to ship sponsored excursions, not only because you know exactly what to expect and what places you'll be visiting, but also from a safety standpoint. While Jamaica is a beautiful island, it does have its share of crime (so do many other popular Caribbean islands, by the way).

Getting to know a port before visiting it can make a difference between truly enjoying it, or making it the visit from hell.

I would also add we were politely asked if we wanted to relax a little ONCE....I've been offered much harder drugs and in much pushier ways in Germany, Amsterdam and Virginia lol so it didn't bother me. Again, if you say no and sound like you mean it, I've never heard of anyone having a problem.

I fear that some just don't like Jamaica because of what it is and what it isn't...i'll leave it at that.

I went to Jamaica/Ocho Rios for the first time last October on the Liberty. We did a tour through the ship which was fine. Nobody bothered us to buy things etc. Im glad I saw it once. It is a very scenic island, but I have to say my overall impression was not that great. If my cruise ever stopped there again, I might give it another try, or I might just stay on board. this is just my opinion. I dont think Jamaica should be dropped as a cruise destination, because a lot of people really do like it. So to each their own. I didnt hate it, ( havent yet been to a place I hated ), but it is just not memorable to me.:)

Archived