1st Time Cruisers and Going on the Sky

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jennifer and this is my first post on Cruise Critic. This is a wonderful board. And I have read some very helpful posts here. You all are pretty amazing.

My other half and I will be going on our first cruise in Sept. on the Sky. We are pretty excited and are counting down.

I know there are many posts of here about the Sky and Nassau. If you could sum up the best kept secrets about the Sky, we would really appreciate it. And what would you recommend we do for our first time in Nassau. We like the beach and drinks. :D

I await the great responses.

And from what I hear, once we go on this cruise, we will be addicted to cruising. Oh boy, I think we are about to create a monster. A fantastic monster though.

Congratulations on your first cruise and your first post!

If you haven't already looked for your sailing date on the ROLL CALL boards I would suggest you do and make yourself known over there as well. You will get to know people before you even set foot on a deck. They might even be having a meet & greet where you can meet everyone and get introduced to some of the crew and staff.

There is a great review with pics I think you'll get a lot of information from it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1234214&highlight=senor+frogs

I hope you have a fantastic cruise and will continue to enjoy them in the future. :)

Welcome, I'm sure you will love the Sky. My Flickr link below has some pictures you may be interested in. I would suggest reading the Bahamas board and maybe getting a Fodor's travel guide for the area. It's not really a secret but Il Adagio's is open for lunch prior to sail away as is one of the MDR's. If you are interested in taking any of the ship sponsored excursions it's really easy to reserve them online, you won't be charged for them until you get on the ship (if you change your mind you'll have to call to cancel, that can't be done online). Read the Sky reviews, but read them with a grain of salt. If someone reports that they had a problem with something the first thing you have to ask yourself is would it bother you to the same degree as the reviewer. If no, then don't worry about it. If it would bother you then try to figure out how you can possibly be proactive and avoid a similar problem (i.e. reviewer says that the service in the main dining room was horrendously slow. This would bother you because you like to eat at a faster pace. When you are seated tell your server that you don't want too much time between courses because you have plans after dinner.) Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! (and yes, it is addictive;).)

I've posted this many times, but since you said you're a drinker, don't miss the 2 for 1 martinis in the Plantation Bar (deck 12 aft) every night from 6-8:30. $8 for 2, full size, perfectly strong! And lots of flavor choices. I was really impressed by this (can you tell? I've posted it on every thread!).... anytime I feel like I'm getting a "deal" I'm happy! (even the cruise is still totally making a killing on these!)

The private island (great stirrup cay) is really nice... a great beach day with a BBQ on the beach, and lovely swim/snorkel area. Also have a boat you can purchase a tour of the area islands on (~$35 I think?).... kayaks, a large inflatable slide, beach floats (rafts) to rent to lounge in the water, and some other things. Nassau has plenty to do...as was mentioned check the shore excursions list, or plan your own (though I try to use the ship's excursions the first time I go somewhere.... a little easier).

Enjoy, you're gonna love it!

Welcome Jennifer! You are very right, cruising is definitely addictive :D Hubby and I went on our first last summer and we recently booked our second, which will also be on the Sky.

I don't have any tips to offer about the Sky since I haven't sailed her yet so I'll just say have a fantastic cruise, and make sure to tell us all about it when you get back!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jennifer and this is my first post on Cruise Critic. This is a wonderful board. And I have read some very helpful posts here. You all are pretty amazing.

My other half and I will be going on our first cruise in Sept. on the Sky. We are pretty excited and are counting down.

I know there are many posts of here about the Sky and Nassau. If you could sum up the best kept secrets about the Sky, we would really appreciate it. And what would you recommend we do for our first time in Nassau. We like the beach and drinks. :D

And from what I hear, once we go on this cruise, we will be addicted to cruising. Oh boy, I think we are about to create a monster. A fantastic monster though.

Our very first cruise was also on the Sky. We have been on a total of 4 cruises and our first cruise was the best. Was it because the Sky was the best? I have no clue!! We love the Sky but more so we loved cruising. Enjoy, enjoy enjoy!!! Let me tell you that when we go on our next cruise we will be as excited as we were on our first one. I have no ship secrets for you but I do have one suggestion. There will be something on your cruise that will disappoint you. Maybe it will be your room or room steward, perhaps it will be a rude passenger, or something related to an excursion, or the weather. I don't know what it is but here is my advice. Don't stress any of it. Remember you are one a cruise. Let whatever the problem is roll off your back. Don't let anything that happens ruin your cruise. I will say it again--relax--smell the sea air--watch the ocean. Get involved in activities on the ship.

When you go to the MDR (Main Dining Room) you will be asked if you want to dine alone or with someone else (someone you don't know). We chose to dine with others and loved meeting new people. On our third night we met a couple whom we struck up a friendship with. We still stay in contact with them and have become friends and will continue to be so.

We just sailed on the Sky the beginning of this month and it was also our first cruise. It won't be our last! As for secrets, I can think of a few. First, make sure you reserve a clamshell for Great Stirrup Cay as soon as you are able. They are a must in the tropical sun and sell out very quickly. They rent for about $30. Secondly, the deck outside of Outriggers Lounge is perfect for watching when the ship leaves the ports and is a very romantic spot for sunsets, especially when you are headed back to Miami. Lastly, I would avoid any cabins directly below the outdoors cafe on deck 11. We had noise from the scraping of chairs every night over our heads!.. Other than that, have a wonderful time. I'm sure you will.

We just sailed on the Sky the beginning of this month and it was also our first cruise. It won't be our last! As for secrets, I can think of a few. First, make sure you reserve a clamshell for Great Stirrup Cay as soon as you are able. They are a must in the tropical sun and sell out very quickly. They rent for about $30. Secondly, the deck outside of Outriggers Lounge is perfect for watching when the ship leaves the ports and is a very romantic spot for sunsets, especially when you are headed back to Miami. Lastly, I would avoid any cabins directly below the outdoors cafe on deck 11. We had noise from the scraping of chairs every night over our heads!.. Other than that, have a wonderful time. I'm sure you will.

We are sailing on the Sky on 9/06 and was wondering a few things about the clamshells. First of all, I did read a posting that if you reserve one, you also get some sort of "VIP" tendering too - is that correct? One more thing, someone else posted that the clamshells were very "hot" because no air circulated through them, what's your opinion on that? Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sue

Hello Everyone,

WELCOME Jennifer! When in Sept are you going? Just curious, because my husband and I are sailing on 9/06. It's not our first cruise by no means, but I may be silly, but I get just as excited as if it was my first time cruising! Just love it SO much! I think I took my first cruise apprx. 4-5 yrs ago and now I am going on my 10th one! I am DEFINITELY hooked! You will be too!

Sue

We are sailing on the Sky on 9/06 and was wondering a few things about the clamshells. First of all, I did read a posting that if you reserve one, you also get some sort of "VIP" tendering too - is that correct? One more thing, someone else posted that the clamshells were very "hot" because no air circulated through them, what's your opinion on that? Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sue

We didn't get any special tendering. Perhaps that person had a suite, which we didn't. We had to wait in line, like everyone else. Also, yes, the clam shells do get hot. However, I saw people who rested the back of their clam shells on the back of their lounge chairs to let air through. The clam shells are dark blue, which may have contributed to the problem. Regardless, I would rather have the heat then the sunburn!

Archived