Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

Take plastic clothes pens (from the "Dollar" store) to put on the bottom of your shower curtain. This will weigh it down and keep the shower curtain from "getting too friendly with you" during a shower! (works!)

Take a pop-up mesh hamper for your dirty clothes (we got one at the Dollar store). If you want to do your laundry before you pack, most travel sections in drug stores have small flat powder packets of Tide.

Take a CLIP ON WATERPROOF Sports watch set on the SHIP's time on your excursions- put on your beach bag or whatever. Along that line ALWAYS write down the Port Master's number for whatever port (it will be on the front page (usually) of the Princess Patter for each day.

If your empty luggage is cumbersome, the Steward will stow it for you!

Find out when/ where the Muster drill is and go get your life jacket. Take it with you a little ahead of time and "beat the crowd" or "take the elevators if you can't handle stairs."

We take highlighters and ask for TWO Princess Patters (one per person) and highlight times/ places/ activities, etc for the next day! It's fun!

Take NEON medium-sized sticky notes. If your roomie/ spouse sleeps in (or you), leave a note on the MIRROR or DOOR- "8 am walking the track" or "See you at 4!" that kind of thing.

The doors are metal and light gray and every one looks alike. I go to a Party or Teacher's store (or even Dollar store), and get a flat (don't get anything with foil or crepe or dangling- they'll make you take it down as a fire hazard) decoration (Luao/ Sand Castle, Santa Claus) whatever and stick in on you door so you can find your door when it's late and you're tired! At the very least take a cheapy magnet from your fridge at home (again, flat) and put it on the door.

Take some flat duct tape (found at paint stores) for emergency repairs. If you do have a real problem, like broken or jammed luggage sticker, the Engineering department will send someone to help!

I take a few postcards from my home state to attach to the tips- Most folks working on the cruises are from Phillipines, Romania/ Bulgaria, and many other countries (Italian Chefs and Captains). They seem to really enjoy seeing an Oklahoma Cherokee in full headress or picture of a tornado or cowboy- just different, you know?

Don't forget to take a small alarm clock/ and glow-in dark flashlight. Also, If you or a traveling companion is "skittish" about the snorkeling excursions or swimming in the ocean/pool/ or just being on a big ship- go to the Hunting/ Fishing/ Boating section of your local Walmart (or the like) and get the Orange FLOATING whistle. (it's like 2 bucks). It has a long twine necklace attached. For women, you can attach it via slip knot to your bra strap or bathing suit strap and tuck it in there. Should there be any problem, the orange marine floating/ waterproof whistle is there!

Oh, if you do NOT have anytime dining- go to the Dining Room as soon as you can to check your seating (table). You may change it with the Maitre D!

After 4 cruises, I finally noticed that in the shower- there's a retractable clothes line to dry your swimsuit etc!

I take a flameless candle for the balcony table. Nice ambiance!!

Hope these help!:p

Keep in mind that Princess allows each person to bring a bottle of champagne so getting glasses isn't suspect since you keep it in your room fridge.

Another tip on champagne. The last time we were on the Crown we were celebrating my parent's 40th anniversary. While making or pre cruise shopping trip in Fort Lauderdale, my dad bought magnums of champagne. When I inquired why he was getting the magnums rather than regular bottles, he pointed out the corkage fee. Probable one time corkage fee instead of a few with the regular size bottles.

Another tip on champagne. The last time we were on the Crown we were celebrating my parent's 40th anniversary. While making or pre cruise shopping trip in Fort Lauderdale, my dad bought magnums of champagne. When I inquired why he was getting the magnums rather than regular bottles, he pointed out the corkage fee. Probable one time corkage fee instead of a few with the regular size bottles.

You shouldn't need to pay a corkage fee on champagne since you can open it without a cork screw. I always take this since I can open it on my own. Of course I've never tried to take it to a dining room. I always like to drink it while I'm getting ready or if we run back to the room between other things I'll grab a glass.

I take a few postcards from my home state to attach to the tips- Most folks working on the cruises are from Phillipines, Romania/ Bulgaria, and many other countries (Italian Chefs and Captains). They seem to really enjoy seeing an Oklahoma Cherokee in full headress or picture of a tornado or cowboy- just different, you know?

This is a GREAT idea! Thanks! I've never thought of it, but we do already have a lot of local post cards that we could use.

If you have an iPhone, there are some great, free, clock apps available. We opted for the one with the largest numbers, and will leave our phone plugged in and charging all night, and the clock on it easily visible.

You shouldn't need to pay a corkage fee on champagne since you can open it without a cork screw. I always take this since I can open it on my own. Of course I've never tried to take it to a dining room. I always like to drink it while I'm getting ready or if we run back to the room between other things I'll grab a glass.

By that logic, we could all take wine with a screw cap to dinner and not pay a corkage fee. ;) Or simply take our own corkscrew.

Seriously, is this true? I always thought a corkage fee was to help make up for lost revenue when you didn't buy your wine through the cruiseline.

Here is the material direct from the Princess website:

---------

If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

---------

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

"Corkage" is a term for the policy -- it's not an action.

Even with as a screw top the corkage fee applies. Corkage fee has to do with consuming wine/champagne that isn't purchased from the ship. Even if you brought the bottle already open to the dining room, they still charge a corkage fee.

Sorry I wasn't starting "rumors" in general no matter the ship, hotel, or even house I read in a travel guide somewhere not to put anything under the beds. It was just one of those things I read awhile ago and it stuck with me. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PRINCESS and I certainly wasn't trying to offend anyone, even the cleanest of places still have issues.

We “nest “ out bags in each other then stow under the bed. The gap between bed and floor is rather large (over 14”) our largest bag fits easily. In a pinch, the bed is rather light and even larger item can be stored by lifting the bed up for the extra clearance. Remember, the steward also uses this space to store the bedspread at turndown, don’t take up all the space.

More of a cruise tip rather than just for Princess. Check under your bed before unpacking. I have read of at least one nasty find that ended up in a cabin change, if need be I’d rather do this before unpacking. We have found clothing items from some previous cruise (hopefully the last voyage, not something from six months ago). If we were ever to find an actual lost valuable from the previous pax, it can be turned over to Princess before the ship leaves.

One trip we found a giant bag with over 70 cans of soda. Found out later the steward used this stash to stock all the mini friges in the area.

By that logic, we could all take wine with a screw cap to dinner and not pay a corkage fee. ;) Or simply take our own corkscrew.

Seriously, is this true? I always thought a corkage fee was to help make up for lost revenue when you didn't buy your wine through the cruiseline.

Was just pointing out one can open their own champagne bottles. No cork screw needed. I keep mine in the room. Also said didn't know if they would charge the corkage fee in the MDR with champagne thinking someone may know the answer. If we knew all the answers we wouldn't be here...................

Even with as a screw top the corkage fee applies. Corkage fee has to do with consuming wine/champagne that isn't purchased from the ship. Even if you brought the bottle already open to the dining room, they still charge a corkage fee.

Thanks that was what I was trying to find out. I've always taken the bottles of champagne for the room so I don't have to worry with getting a corkscrew from the cabin steward. We've only taken two Princess cruises so I'm not as up on things like this like I am with Carnival.

Here is the material direct from the Princess website:

---------

If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

---------

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

"Corkage" is a term for the policy -- it's not an action.

LOL I got a morning chuckle envisioning someone taking a box of wine to the MDR!!!

Was just pointing out one can open their own champagne bottles. No cork screw needed. I keep mine in the room. Also said didn't know if they would charge the corkage fee in the MDR with champagne thinking someone may know the answer. If we knew all the answers we wouldn't be here...................

It is no different than a land based rest. if you bring in any wine and champagne or sparkling wine is considered a wine. So that is why they have a corkage fee.

Of course I would never take box wine to the MDR, but I do like "Black Box" white wine! :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, my Princess-addict friends who talked me into going on this cruise (on which they are also booked) also turned me on to the Black Box wines. They're quite good! I've enjoyed the Chardonnay, Merlot, and Pinot Grigio -- and y'know, they just might be the ticket for something to carry onto the ship! No glass to break, no corkscrew needed -- just pour and enjoy! Mmmmm...

Thanks for bringing this up -- I now have my carryon wine selection! :D

On the larger ships, such as the Ruby, Emerald, Crown, etc., there is a secret door that leads out to a deck above the bridge. It's a great place to be during sailaway. Just go to the Lido deck and go all the way forward. You will see a door on either side. Go through those doors to another door that leads to a few steps leading to this deck. However, these doors are locked while at sea. It's way too windy and therefore dangerous.

I will have to try this out in 17 days on the Ruby! It's our first Princess experience. Any other tips?

Archived