Pompeii & Amalfi coast (timing?)

Motorcycle Gma

How much time does one need to do a self-guided tour in Pompeii? I've got Rick Steve's guide, but it doesn't say how long!! Or, are we better off hiring a guide? I just don't know if I need 2 hrs, 4 hrs or what?!

Also, if we have a driver, do you think we can do Pompeii and the Amalfi coast drive in one day. We dock at 7:00 am Naples & depart 7:00 pm. Thank you

We managed to do both a couple of years ago. We booked a private tour with driveamalfi. and they were very good. Because I had heard about traffic jams on the coast road we did that portion in the morning and went to Pompeii in the afternoon, it's a short drive back to the port from there. It was a very busy day and we didn't get to spend much time in any of the coastal towns. Also it was a Sunday so there was lots of local traffic around. Our driver took us to a lovely restaurant up in the hills for lunch and then in was on to Pompeii where DriveAmalfi had organised a guide for us. I think it was well worth spending the money on the guide for Pompeii, it is a huge site and if we had been wandering around on our own I think we would have missed lots. If I remember correctly we had about 2 hours at Pompeii. But I think we had to be back to the ship by 5.30pm. Hope this helps and that you have a wonderful time in Italy.

Carolyn

We just did the same thing in July. Booked Rome in Limo for a driver to pick us up in Naples. Went straight to Pompeii, where they had a guide waiting for us. Took a 2 hour tour of Pompeii, which with the guide was very comprehensive, then went with our driver to Sorrento and Positano.

Since our driver is from Sorrento, he was able to navigate some beautiful back roads on the way home (We took the coast drive into both towns) and were back in no time. He also made a terrific recommendation for lunch in Sorrento. Our tour was 9 hours.

Not that you asked, but in hind sight I would have skipped Sorrento. While lovely, we only really had time to shop and eat. Our driver dropped us off with instructions on where to eat and that he would make our reservation for an hour and a half later. We shopped and then had a leisurely lunch, went out for another short walk and then met him for the drive to Positano. Positano was much prettier though, and I would have rather had more time there to wander and explore, as well as shop and eat. We only really had about an hour or so in Positano before we had to head back.

We just did the same thing in July. Booked Rome in Limo for a driver to pick us up in Naples. Went straight to Pompeii, where they had a guide waiting for us. Took a 2 hour tour of Pompeii, which with the guide was very comprehensive, then went with our driver to Sorrento and Positano.

Since our driver is from Sorrento, he was able to navigate some beautiful back roads on the way home (We took the coast drive into both towns) and were back in no time. He also made a terrific recommendation for lunch in Sorrento. Our tour was 9 hours.

Not that you asked, but in hind sight I would have skipped Sorrento. While lovely, we only really had time to shop and eat. Our driver dropped us off with instructions on where to eat and that he would make our reservation for an hour and a half later. We shopped and then had a leisurely lunch, went out for another short walk and then met him for the drive to Positano. Positano was much prettier though, and I would have rather had more time there to wander and explore, as well as shop and eat. We only really had about an hour or so in Positano before we had to head back.

Who was your driver/tour operator? Did they arrange the guide, or did you just get one at the gates of Pompeii?

I've heard that about Sorrento vs. Positano. Thanks for sharing.

We took the train to Pompeii and used Rick Steves audio tour. It took us about 90 minutes to complete. You could easily spend longer if you choose as Rick's tour just brushes the surface of the ruins in Pompeii.

Kirk

It's very doable - I was there earlier this month. Started at port at 8 AM, drove through Sorrento, walked and shopped in Positano for an hour, lunch in Pontone, short time in Ravello, two hours in Pompeii, back on ship by 5 PM. Many companies do this tour well and prices range from 350 to 500 euros for up to four people.

We took the train to Pompeii and used Rick Steves audio tour. It took us about 90 minutes to complete. You could easily spend longer if you choose as Rick's tour just brushes the surface of the ruins in Pompeii.

Kirk

Kirk, did you get Rick Steve's audio tour at Pompeii or purchase ahead of time?

BTW, what payment methods do they take at the gate? Cash only or ATM's/plastic?

This helps as I bet his audio tour is similar to the print-out I got of the net which had no timetable. Thanks

It's very doable - I was there earlier this month. Started at port at 8 AM, drove through Sorrento, walked and shopped in Positano for an hour, lunch in Pontone, short time in Ravello, two hours in Pompeii, back on ship by 5 PM. Many companies do this tour well and prices range from 350 to 500 euros for up to four people.

Thanks, who did you use and did you like them?

We hired a guide who was great... After having the guide I realize we did the right thing... he was amazing... feel free to check our short video of amalfi coast and Pompeii... the pompeii is towards the end... the video is only total of about 5 mins and might give you a idea

I think you could spend hours there if you wanted to so much to see

We hired a guide who was great... After having the guide I realize we did the right thing... he was amazing... feel free to check our short video of amalfi coast and Pompeii... the pompeii is towards the end... the video is only total of about 5 mins and might give you a idea

Can you send me the details of the guide you book to drobinson@canem.com. I would like to look at using him.

Was he a guide at the gate? Or one that you hired through a tour company?

The guides in the gates of Pompeii are licensed professionals and they are fantastic. The quick tour lasts about 2 1/2 hrs and well worth the (approx100E) payable in cash. You will move around much faster & see more than if you are with a group or on your own. The admis. tickets can be bought the day of/at the gate cash or credit card, ATM?. We took the train there (get off at the Scavi Pompeii stop) then back to Sorrento, which I believe is the faster/cheaper way. You can then hire a driver for the rest of the day...we used 'Benvenutolimos' for our Amalfi Drive. Keep in mind you will only be scratching the surface at Pompeii, you will have time to do both between 7am&7pm

The guides in the gates of Pompeii are licensed professionals and they are fantastic. The quick tour lasts about 2 1/2 hrs and well worth the (approx100E) payable in cash. You will move around much faster & see more than if you are with a group or on your own. The admis. tickets can be bought the day of/at the gate cash or credit card, ATM?. We took the train there (get off at the Scavi Pompeii stop) then back to Sorrento, which I believe is the faster/cheaper way. You can then hire a driver for the rest of the day...we used 'Benvenutolimos' for our Amalfi Drive. Keep in mind you will only be scratching the surface at Pompeii, you will have time to do both between 7am&7pm

Good advice. The best advantage to the private driver is that you will get to Pompeii when it opens and you will have no crowds. You CAN do Positano and Sorrento. The timing mentioned above in post #3 is very accurate about the time in each place. If that seems rushed to you then do just Positano because the drive there is half the reason to go there. You can drive through Sorrento and see the main square on the way.

Archived