Galveston???

I am local so I drive to Galveston. You can fly into IAH or Houston Hobby (HOU). HOU is closer to Galveston and simply get on I-45 which takes you into Galveston and about a 1 hour drive. I have read there are vans and such you can arrange. There are many ways to get there just a matter of how much you want to spend.

What airport do you fly into if you're cruising out of Galveston? Do you purchase transfers, rent a car, take a cab:confused: Enlighten me please:D

Hobby is your best bet. Less then an hour to get to Galveston.

If you arrive the day before your cruise.....stay at a hotel in Galveston,

most provide a shuttle to the ship.

Welcome to my hometown!

For transportation, look into a private shuttle or a rental car. A taxi, even from Hobby (HOU) will be expensive.

Hobby (HOU) is 45 minutes to an hour from the port. IAH (George Bush Intercontinental) is 1.5 to 2 hours from the port. You may have more choices from IAH depending on where you live so don't discount it.

When my wife and I sailed out of Galveston we flew into Hobby. My brother-in-law and sister (who live in Houston) drove us to Galveston.

If you get there a day before or so, don't miss Gaido's Seafood on the sea wall. Great food, and very much worth the money.

SouthWest is the main carrier into Hobby but Delta, American etc do fly into there.

Galveston.com has good info and Enterprise and Hertz both operate on the island.

Has Hertz reopened? They have been closed since the hurricane.

We cruised out of Galveston in 2003 and there was a shuttle service at Houston Hobby by the luggage claim area. I don't know if it is still there or not, but you couldn't miss it then. I think it cost us $25.00 each way, so a $100.00 for both of us. It was a van and probably 6 or 8 couples. When we got off the cruise it was waiting for us.

I wish I knew the name, but I don't. Someone told us just to look for it when we got our luggage.

We cruised out of Galveston in 2003 and there was a shuttle service at Houston Hobby by the luggage claim area. I don't know if it is still there or not, but you couldn't miss it then. I think it cost us $25.00 each way, so a $100.00 for both of us. It was a van and probably 6 or 8 couples. When we got off the cruise it was waiting for us.

I wish I knew the name, but I don't. Someone told us just to look for it when we got our luggage.

http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/

Galveston Limosuine Service is what we have used in the past. It is a shared van ride and a bit less expensive than Super Shuttle last time I looked at both.

We used Galveston Limo a few years ago and were very pleased with both price and service. They will take you to a hotel or directly to the pier.

How people many in your party? We have 10, and Super Shuttle was the cheapest for us. We are actually staying Saturday night in Houston (Springhill Suites near Bush Intercontinental Airport north of Houston), and Super Shuttle is driving us to the Galveston port on Sunday (the day of the cruise). We have the entire shuttle to ourselves, and they are picking us up at the hotel. If you are getting into Houston late the night before, you might consider staying in Houston and transporting to Galveston the next day. You can also book Super Shuttle individually, but I think they only pick up at the airport for individuals and not nearby hotels. No problem really -- just take the free shuttle most hotels offer back to the airport, then catch Super Shuttle to Galveston. I think there are several other "shared ride" options also from Bush airport to Galveston. Plan on 90 minutes from Bush to Galveston. Usually it is quicker, but traffic can get heavy even on the weekends, especially to Galveston.

In Galveston itself, some hotels offer free transportation to the port. But a taxi shouldn't cost you more than $20, including tip.

Archived