Pools at departure

Recently sailed on Monarch and when we departed they only had one pool filled. When asked about this I was told that this was policy to only have one pool filled during departure. Correct me if I am wrong, but best to my memory, I remember that more than one pool would be filled on departure. I did ask the employee who was a supervisor, so when Oasis departs, she only has one pool full, he then just smiled. Last we sailed with RCCL was May 09. Please send comments, thanks.

Port Canaveral has a problem with shoaling. So if the ship left at low tide (especially a spring low), they might be trying to lighten the ship a bit to provide an extra margin of safety.

What a cool explanation! :)

It's possible... tide variation at Port Canaveral is about 3.5 feet from low to high tide and there are points in the channel where there is only 4 feet of water under the keel at least according to Capt Karrin.

You're probably talking about ~3-4 tons of seawater in each pool, so yeah, I could see that extra being an issue.

Archived