Left folks behind in Cozumel, What happens to them now?

And if they are stolen........????

If you had read all the replies, you would have seen that security will go into the cabin of passengers, unlock the safe, take passports, id, medications, etc. and leave them with the port agent.

So, let me get this straight. A couple of us do not get back to the ship which is scheduled to embark at 6:00.

So, at 6:00, crew goes to all of our rooms, gets our stuff, and leaves it at the port? After our stuff is on the dock, the ship then leaves?

...The whole passport v. copy of a passport with you in port has been endlessly debated here on CC...

As have Rum Runners, Chair Hogging, Formal Wear and most recently Shrek. Why should that stop us from dredging it up yet again?:eek:

Let's face it...most that miss the boat don't miss the boat because they were on an excursion, ship sponsored or on their own. They have fuzzy eyes from numerous drinks and can't figure out whether their eyes are on local time or ship's time. We enjoy watching the stragglers trying to stop the staff from pulling in the gangplank. At one port, they had a bar and tiki hut set up closer to the ship than I've ever seen (Curacao?)..anyway, we were on the deck, watching stragglers, clearly seeing preparations for leaving, stop at the tiki and purchase a drink and leisurely stroll up to the ship. We were hoping to see the crew speed up the prep and the ship leave while they juggled their shopping bags and drinks and got into at least a run.....

But she endangered her child just the same..She didn't think - society needs more thinkers not less so perhaps we shld consider 'selective' breeding not just for animals but for humans who seem to desperately need it, IMO anyway! :/

While not condoning what she did and yes it was a stupid, stupid thing to do and very irresponsible, I don't think she would (or as any parent would while on vacation) do it intentionally or with criminal intent as was suggested. She didn't wake up that morning and say "I'm going ashore and going to stay here on the island so I can be free of my child for a few days while I catch up with the ship". It isn't like on land where no one may know for days that you neglected your child and left it alone, the child was in the care of trained professionals who would have made sure she was fed and cared for.

ETA: I don't even know why I'm fighting this battle, the lady was an idiot and deserves what she gets, but I just don't think this instance rose to the level of a criminal act. Sorry if I appeared to be defending her acts.

While not condoning what she did and yes it was a stupid, stupid thing to do and very irresponsible, I don't think she would (or as any parent would while on vacation) do it intentionally or with criminal intent as was suggested. She didn't wake up that morning and say "I'm going ashore and going to stay here on the island so I can be free of my child for a few days while I catch up with the ship". It isn't like on land where no one may know for days that you neglected your child and left it alone, the child was in the care of trained professionals who would have made sure she was fed and cared for.

I wasn't going to comment on the matter until I read your post, because I agree with you. If the child was enrolled in the Adventure Ocean program and was properly supervised, and the mother did not intentionally miss the ship, I don't see any intent of wrong doing. It may have been a dumb mistake, but certainly not criminal neglect.

I'm the same way. Have relatives who are ALWAYS late for everything. One Thanksgiving they were almost 2 hrs late for dinner. I made the meal and ate right on time just as planned. Just left the food right there. When they finally showed it was nice and cold. Told em I ate 2 hrs ago and it was time for my nap....see ya!. The wife was NOT happy (her family). Oddly enough, they were on time for Christmas dinner.

Wow that's beyond rude, glad they learned their lesson, even if it was the hard way. Good for you, I'd have done exactly the same.

I wasn't going to comment on the matter until I read your post, because I agree with you. If the child was enrolled in the Adventure Ocean program and was properly supervised, and the mother did not intentionally miss the ship, I don't see any intent of wrong doing. It may have been a dumb mistake, but certainly not criminal neglect.

Thanks, thought it was just me. Like I said, not condoning and the lady was stupid, but not a felon.

One thing no one has mentioned, and I'm sure accounts for at least some of the problem, is that Cozumel is on central time and most ships, as they sail form Miami, are on eastern time. As we were told on our first cruise to Cozumel, "don't as a local what time it is or you will become one". Many people now do not carry watches and rely on their cell phone for the time. If your cell is set to pick up the time from the local carrier you may easily find yourself standing on the pier looking at a departing ship.

:eek:OMGawd hadn't thought of that, do they remind you of this before you go off the ship because I would not remember for sure?

I was on a Disney Cruise in 01 - as the ship was departing a port, I was on a bridge tour. Not long after we left, word came in that some folks were left behind and kids were on board. The captain stopped the ship and sent a life boat to go fetch them...

On my last Voyager cruise last March, the captain left 4 people behind in Cozumel. When we arrived in Grand Cayman he gave us these words of advice: "If you do miss the ship without any money, don't worry, there are 259 banks in Grand Cayman. And be sure to have your camera, because you will have the rare opportunity to take a picture of your ship leaving you behind." Priceless... He had absolutely no sympathy for people who missed the ship. When asked why he left those 4 people behind, he stated he didn't leave them behind, they chose not to make it back on time...

On our recent trip to Bermuda we were told to be back on the ship at 4. We went and sat on our balcony to see people running to get the ship. On guy came on a moped at 4:45. A pretty girl was driving the moped, probably the reason he was late. My son's football coach has a say "No excuses, just results!!"

With the number of people they ferry over to Tulum and elsewhere, I'm surprised more people are not left behind. On our excursion to Tulum this past August, even with being at the appropriate bus, ferry, ruins, etc. well before the appointed time, it seems we were always standing around waiting for people. The bus from Tulum got us back in Playa del Carmen in plenty of time for the ferry, but the ferry got us back to the ship within minutes of departure.

Tulum is one excursion I would NEVER book independently. It takes forever to get there and back to the ship. Definitely would not want to miss the ship in Cozumel.

When we arrived in Grand Cayman he gave us these words of advice: "If you do miss the ship without any money, don't worry, there are 259 banks in Grand Cayman. And be sure to have your camera, because you will have the rare opportunity to take a picture of your ship leaving you behind." Priceless... He had absolutely no sympathy for people who missed the ship.

Hmmm, I think I heard that same speech. Not sure when or where...

I was on a Disney Cruise in 01 - as the ship was departing a port, I was on a bridge tour. Not long after we left, word came in that some folks were left behind and kids were on board. The captain stopped the ship and sent a life boat to go fetch them...

On my last Voyager cruise last March, the captain left 4 people behind in Cozumel. When we arrived in Grand Cayman he gave us these words of advice: "If you do miss the ship without any money, don't worry, there are 259 banks in Grand Cayman. And be sure to have your camera, because you will have the rare opportunity to take a picture of your ship leaving you behind." Priceless... He had absolutely no sympathy for people who missed the ship. When asked why he left those 4 people behind, he stated he didn't leave them behind, they chose not to make it back on time...

Geez, and the Cruise Director said we only needed our Sail'n sign pass. I'd hate to be stuck ashore without credit cards.

I've posted this on other threads -- Youtube videos of people either barely making it or actually missing the ship at a port-of-call.

Some make it...

And some don't...

And for a real adventure, catch a boat...

He had absolutely no sympathy for people who missed the ship. When asked why he left those 4 people behind, he stated he didn't leave them behind, they chose not to make it back on time...
Makes sense to me. The captain has to be the person who is able to make those hard decisions.

Same song, different verse: In 19 years of teaching, I have never failed a student. Oh, don't get me wrong: Quite a number have not passed, but it was always because they chose not to do the assigned work AND because their parents ignored the numerous warnings I provided. They've chosen not to rise to the occasion and pass the class.

Tulum is one excursion I would NEVER book independently. It takes forever to get there and back to the ship. Definitely would not want to miss the ship in Cozumel.
Everything isn't suited to cruising. The trip to Tulum is a good example. It's just too far from the pier and requires too many forms of transportation.

Don't get me wrong: I've climbed Aztec ruins (closer to Mexico City), and they are magnificent. I'd love to go again, but NOT on a cruise.

ETA: I don't even know why I'm fighting this battle, the lady was an idiot and deserves what she gets, but I just don't think this instance rose to the level of a criminal act. Sorry if I appeared to be defending her acts.

the same page so to speak..:)

I agree with all u say..and I also agree she deserves all she gets - which is likely to be nothing :(

To get her back onboard that pilot boat cost plenty and all that cruiselines pax get to defray that expense - which, IMO anyway, shldn't happen - She shld be assigned that cost herself!

But because she likely won't have to 'pay' for not considering the consequences (thinking) ..what has she learned..nothing!! :(

Have happy cruisin'! :)

On a recent Med and Venice cruise, on the ship's excursion to Rome, some fool (and I use that term advisedly) decided he would browse for souvenirs after everyone had gathered for boarding of the bus back to the ship. Heck, his wife didn't even know where he was. Anyhow, the crowd around the Vatican was really large, and the poor tour guide was beside herself trying to locate this clown. We all tried to help. Finally, he came wandering up, unconcerned as anything, souvenirs in hand. The bus had been delayed some half hour. I said to leave him. We all told the guide that, but I guess RCL has some obligation to make sure everyone is accounted for. His wife was visibly embarrassed. Bottom line - ignorance is not an excuse for his or others behavior. Times/places for departure are clearly explained. Getting left behind isn't bad luck, just bad head work. He was down right inconsiderate of both the cruise line and fellow passengers. If I had my way he would still be in Italy, finishing up his shopping.

On my 2004 Southern Caribbean cruise we left a guy behind in St. Maarten. The crew had been paging him for over half an hour by the time we pulled away from the dock.

Well we were about a mile (hard to judge distance at sea) from shore when we noticed the ship had stopped. Looking back towards the shore we saw a water taxi just flying across the water towards the ship. The water was a bit rough so the taxi had to make three passes before it got close enough for the ship's crew to grab it long enough for the late passenger to jump on board the ship.

Hope it cost him a fortune.

Makes no sense to me to sit in a bar drinking until after the ship leaves. If I'm done touring the port, I go back to the ship. Then if I want a drink, they'll gladly sell me one on the ship. Maybe the drinks are cheaper on shore, but not cheaper than flying home from that port.

I'm another person that thinks on time is early. I really can't stand being late. My wife is OK, but her mother can't be on time. MIL knows though if she wants to ride with me, she'd better be on time!

Why do so many people on this thread have the idea that criminal neglect requires some sort of criminal intent? The two are not connected. And it can be a felony.

The law varies from state to state, of course, but in general a caregiver is required to make a good faith effort to care for an individual, and many judicial decisions make it clear that no malicious intent or harm is necessary to be guilty of neglect -- even good intentions are not a defense.

Bill

Just recently,on Freedom, we were to leave St. Thomas at a specified time. Instructions were issued that morning that specified what time to be on board and ready to sail.

I was amazed at the number of people that were still making their way back to the ship well after the specified time. I do realize that there can be excersions offered by RCCL that may run late, for whatever reason. But when people are just too dilitory to follow direction I do not feel sorry for them if they are left behind. Just maybe they will get a clue that the world and a "cruise" does not revolve around them and personal time schedule.

J

I was amazed at the number of people that were still making their way back to the ship well after the specified time.

I guess that keeps the crew busy at that late time running around the ship, searching safes, purses, and suitcases for passports and medications to leave with the port agent.:rolleyes:

in alaska, last summer, our tour bus driver announced that she would leave at a certain time, if you weren't there then you would be left. and she left an older woman with a cane at our first stop. she said she would go back and get her after she dropped us at our next stop, and she did, but wouldn't you be a little shocked to come out and find your tour gone! granted, no where in Sitka was a long walk.....for a healthy person, but I am assuming that this woman used her cane because she needed it. At the next stop we started to leave and a woman realized her husband wasn't on the bus, so she got off too! needless to say, we were all back to the bus with time to spare at our next stops!

My DD frequently mentions the poor man we left in the Caribbean running across the dock in the rain, throwing his hands up in the air as the ship sailed away. Needless to say, we are always back early. I get a little concerned when we take non ship tours, my family says I worry too much!

Beverly

Archived