Oasis price drop

Yes....you certainly have.....VERY nice post Cookie1....one of the best I have sen in quite a long time:)

Cookie..you are a SMART cookie!

When I first cruise Royal about 23 years ago, they had nice big ,shiny brochures and nice, big discounts for early booking.....

I love the internet, but I used to love having the big book to look at daily..now they are small and wimpy...

Guess I am gettin' old!

thanks for all your insights!

I said it on another post...RCCL management that chose "Nation of Why Not" should be fired. The exciting, easily recognizeable music is gone, the "GET OUT THERE" is something you get, but even as a "loyal to Royal" customer, we scratched our head at the new ads. Boring, sedate, quiet, nothing exciting or enticing. Carnival's commericals sound like a cruise on their line would be more fun, and those of us who have cruised both, know that's not the case. Why did it never occur to them to use something that showed why so many are "loyal to Royal." Who sold them on this commercial concept? We book in advance to get the cabins we want, and then watch the price go down, knowing we can't take advantage. One poster suggested hoarding the cabins (ok it was phrased nicer, but that's what it was suggesting). Not a bad idea considering the recent hoarding done by RCCL management to their most loyal customers. If they only want to appeal to someone who has never cruised RCCL, their ads are not the answer even to that group.

I said it on another post...RCCL management that chose "Nation of Why Not" should be fired. The exciting, easily recognizeable music is gone, the "GET OUT THERE" is something you get, but even as a "loyal to Royal" customer, we scratched our head at the new ads. Boring, sedate, quiet, nothing exciting or enticing. Carnival's commericals sound like a cruise on their line would be more fun, and those of us who have cruised both, know that's not the case. Why did it never occur to them to use something that showed why so many are "loyal to Royal." Who sold them on this commercial concept? We book in advance to get the cabins we want, and then watch the price go down, knowing we can't take advantage. One poster suggested hoarding the cabins (ok it was phrased nicer, but that's what it was suggesting). Not a bad idea considering the recent hoarding done by RCCL management to their most loyal customers. If they only want to appeal to someone who has never cruised RCCL, their ads are not the answer even to that group.

Agreed....the new add campaign doesn't work....never has never will.....GET OUT THERE was brilliant.....The Nation Of Why Not:rolleyes:

I was just pricing out Oasis and Allure for June '11. The prices are breath-taking...what is a good price for (any category on) these ships?

Especially when you see what they dropped the May 28th Oasis sailing down to.....believe it's priced less than Freedom in some categories.

Especially when you see what they dropped the May 28th Oasis sailing down to.....believe it's priced less than Freedom in some categories.

wow, amazing... and there are lots of suites left, too. The 3rds price is also not as steep.

Ok, there was a lot of debate regarding how they would apply that '48 hour after final' window. I assumed it would count as 48 hours after final was made, not just if you booked after final. I would still call and talk to another rep.

The 48 hr rule is a bit confusing to me as well. From the email I received I assumed it was 48 hrs after final payment date as well but now after reviewing the response again maybe it works this way. An OBC equal to 110% can be applied within 48 hrs of making a reservation prior to final payment if a price drop occurs. After 48 hrs you may receive price drops in the form of OBC or a reduction up to final payment. Once final payment date has been reached no price drops only possible upgrades.

After final payment date, if you make a reservation and the price drops within 48 hrs you will receive 110% OBC. After that no price reductions, only a possible upgrade.

Thank you very much for your kind comments, it makes me bold enough to fire out a few more thoughts and ideas.:o

Perhaps its because I am not a frequent cruiser, that is surprises me when I look online at the RCL website and see the type of availability for cruises that are within a couple of months of sailing. Some of the best cabin types (ie balcony and suites) are just sitting there empty, while all the inside and outside staterooms are filled. Why is that?

I wonder if its because the stategies employed by all cruise lines worked well prior to the internet, and really stink now. It causes this wacky configuration of some of the best cabins sitting in the 'undesirable' slot 45 days prior to the cruise, and being sold off at cheaper prices then inside cabins! And, I think, its not the cost factor that is causing this.

I think of the Saturn carline, remember when they were an independant company, and they promised - our car prices are the same at every dealership- and the car company that cared about the people. Well, it did not last long before some larger manufacturer came by and swallowed up the threat - because the idea and the advertising were spot on. Now, think, if this had been Toyota, and not some small company, what do you think would of happened? (I will get back to this point on toyota)

Here is the tie in to the general car theory. Do you think that cruisers are really concerned with the actual EXACT dollar and penny amount of the cruise, that they search on the internet, and use search engines to find the cheapest amount on the cruise of their choice (within a reasonable amount i mean, not hundreds and thousands)? It could very well be this for some cruisers, the exact dollar amount, but for me -- its the fact that someone who last minute decides to take the holiday, and pays a whole lot less, but not only that, gets a better freakin cabin, then someone who booked a year to 6 months in advance. It makes me feel like I am negotiating a car deal - I just dont want to walk out the door and know that I spent hundreds or thousands more because I did not do my research, or not agressive enough at closing. That makes me feel RIPPED OFF. It also makes me feel like I dont want to put any actual money down and keep it there, until I am sure I have the best deal possible.

The whole system for the cruise industry rips off planners, or those who have to plan because of work/flights/budget. No one has changed the way you book your cruise in the last 10 years, have they? Other then being able to do it online. The only problem is, 10 years ago, many cruisers were NOT aware of how much the cabin price could vary, but with the advent of internet MANY people are aware. Now, many people are wise with their money, and want to make sure they get the best price- even more so in this economy. The only problem is, with the way cruises book now, unless you can be VERY flexible on time and do a short notice cruise, OR be content in any cabin on the cruise you want to take, well, we all walk away feeling slightly (to significantly) burnt. This is bad.

To me, the way they book cruises (on any line) is absolutely archaic. (so sorry about my spelling, but I will press on). So how do we change the system? I dont pretend to know how, but perhaps its easier to look at the end result that needs to be achieved.

Somehow I think RCL should want to have its best (and priciest) cabins gone first, and just try to cheaply sell off their remaining cabins in the last month prior to the cruise. I understand why Royal is trying to cut down on the amount of OBC;s they are handing out for price drops. But a room is a room on the ship -- why not reward early bookers with upgrades in a more aggressive manner? Why not offer upgrades rather then obc's when they put cabins on sale? Or, upgrades for a smaller amount then what would offer with OBC's to stay in the same cabin- hello increased revenue.

What if Royal NOTIFIED early bookers with the choice - sorry, the price of your cabin on your cruise is going to drop a litte, BUT we can offer you a better catagory of room for the same price, or for a little bit more. Do you want to move or stay? How would a customer feel, getting that choice, rather then finding out later some shmoo got a balcony room for less they you paid for your inside cabin. (correct me if I am wrong, but this is what really frosts me!) So no actual monetary cost (or little), but if they are dropping the price, it means they want more bodies. I would think it would be easier to tempt people with very low prices last minute, but it should be for the lowest grade of cabin. The person who gave Royal their deposit for the last year, should have an advantage imho.

People who book early should walk away KNOWING they got the best price OR Cabin. That will encourage people to book early (and wont the interest on deposits that are put down a year or more in advance be a huge advantage for royal?) Imagine, for a moment, that you were infact promised that when you book, you know you will not be ripped off. Imagine, if royal could say, we promise you the best price/cabin on your cruise if you book in advance. You dont have to do anything, we will let you know if there is a price drop and if there is something better then your cabin, we will offer it to you. Hmm, now add on top of that the fact that Royal is providing some of the best ships and service in the industry. Dont you think that many people knowing that they wont get ripped off, and be treated better by booking early, will be flocking to Royal? I know if I could book with ease of mind that I am not getting screwed, I would happily plunk my deposit down early. (question: maybe not enough cabins to offer upgrades, may have to offer some obc's instead)

I would think that a goal of the new revamped system is for people to WANT to aquire the best cabin possible early -- ie - to know that ocean balconies go fast - so if you want the more expensive cabin, book early, and pay a bigger price - this is to Royals advantage. So, if in the next year, you aggressively upgrade early bookers and take away the best cabins, people will know - you want a great cabin on a royal ship - book early. Also, as from my Disney experience, once you have been 'magically' upgraded to a much better room, well, the next time you book you want the better room. Its very tempting. On top of that, how do you think the customer feels walking away from the cruise - geez, I was booked on an outside view no balcony, and I got a great balcony for FREE! That is some positive feelings that the customer will remember, long after the cruise, and will remember booking next time, and most likely will tell friends.

You would have to set some parameters and make the 'best price possible' deal easy to understand for the customer. A set of 4 or 5 rules that they acknowledge when they plunk down their money early.

I would say, you can expect the best price possible until 30 days within sailing - and then if Royal did a Final Boarding Call price -- something really reduced, it would not matter to the customer. Because hopefully the really reduced cabins are the inside ones, and the person who booked 6 months ago will be sitting in a much better cabin, smiling the whole time.

And what if Royal consistently did a Final Boarding Call sale at say the 30 day mark of sailing. Well then, all those last minute cruisers would KNOW exactly what the best price is for the cabin last minute, and could check that rate and decide if they want that inside cabin or not. And knowing exactly when the last and lowest price is being called is a HUGE advantage for those last minute bookers too. (I would think anyways)

I am sure there are many holes to my thought process, but it may be a starting point. Sory again for the long email.

Oh also -- the tie in with Toyota. Imagine if toyota (I would say a giant in the automotive industry) marketed the way Saturn did. Would it not have anililated the competition? I would say Royal is a giant in the cruise industry. Imagine if it promised this kind of consumer satisfaction.

Gosh, one more point. If I was royal , and was about to revamp totally the cruising booking system, I would test it out, not on a live market, but on a internet booking system, with fast time booking, and then I would ask a lot of CC rcl cruisers to test the system, and to see the satisfaction (or not) of booking. A phantom website trial, if you would. No one knows loop holes and ways of taking advantage of loop holes, like the savvy cc members.,, jmo.

Sorry, after rereading my post this morning, I think I did not express myself on the whole 'last minute booker' thing well.

Do you think there are a large percentage of cruisers who want/need to book last minute? Or do you think its the nature of the beast due to the way cruise lines have fire sales in the final month of sailing that has caused a huge and unnatural increase of last minute bookings in the last several years? And now the general population knows that there are great deals last minute, because we have the internet, and all the information boards and search engines.

And strangely, I would assume that last minute bookers are the type of customer that is the worst for royal - their deposits and balance due stay in the customers pocket, not in royals, for several weeks to months, right? Isent it weird how last minute bookers are 'rewarded' by getting best prices and often better cabins?

And last minute bookers themselves,, do you think they prefer waiting to the last minute to know if and where and when they cruise? Or do you just think most of them are just wisely trying to get the very best price, and still get a good to great cabin? That they plan the holiday in advance with their plane tickets already booked, and are just patiently waiting to score the deal?

Imagine if Royal could sell cruises where it rewards its best customers, the ones who pay in advance instead of the last minute bookers, their worst (subjectively speaking- could insert wisest here) customers. They need to take away the plum for booking last minute, and give it to the customer who pays and plans in advance (I would think) I thiiiiink then, this would actually make all the consumers happy, or most, because I would think that last minute bookers on a whole dont really want to book last minute. I think they do it because they cant stand the thought of being ripped off, so they adjust the way the plan vacations in order to get the best deal.

And for those last minute bookers who do like to book last minute, and dont want to plan, and like a good deal. Well then have the fire sale at say the 30 day mark. Make it a standard process, on x number of days before every cruise, put a sale on, and let the public know, it aint getting any cheaper then this. Thats it. Done. Now, the last minute booker can immediately see the deal that is offered, and if they want on that cruise, wouldnt they book asap so they could get the best cabin offered on the ship? If they know they cant get it any cheaper, wouldnt it cause them to jump on the price? Instead of playing the old russian roulette of waiting as loooong as they can, just in case something better comes along?

I think its really a matter of the sales team asking themselves the right questions, and knowing what is the actual outcome/end result they want for their customers when booking, and what will give them the best revenue with the happiest customers. Just because cruises have always been sold this way does not mean its the BEST way to sell cruises. Just like Disney did it with front loading their ticket structure, and the way royal built its new ships - dont use the past as the starting point - invent the whole new future.

Marketing is a whole other issue too, as noted by a few previous posters, but I wont start in on that - other to say it fanscinates me that a huge company with such an excellent product now has some of the worst marketing out there. All other areas of the Royal team are exceeding brilliantly, what the heck is up with sales and marketing??

Hopefully I did not make too many CC;s fall asleep in their coffee this morning:p

Sorry, after rereading my post this morning, I think I did not express myself on the whole 'last minute booker' thing well.

Do you think there are a large percentage of cruisers who want/need to book last minute? Or do you think its the nature of the beast due to the way cruise lines have fire sales in the final month of sailing that has caused a huge and unnatural increase of last minute bookings in the last several years? And now the general population knows that there are great deals last minute, because we have the internet, and all the information boards and search engines.

And strangely, I would assume that last minute bookers are the type of customer that is the worst for royal - their deposits and balance due stay in the customers pocket, not in royals, for several weeks to months, right? Isent it weird how last minute bookers are 'rewarded' by getting best prices and often better cabins?

And last minute bookers themselves,, do you think they prefer waiting to the last minute to know if and where and when they cruise? Or do you just think most of them are just wisely trying to get the very best price, and still get a good to great cabin? That they plan the holiday in advance with their plane tickets already booked, and are just patiently waiting to score the deal?

Imagine if Royal could sell cruises where it rewards its best customers, the ones who pay in advance instead of the last minute bookers, their worst (subjectively speaking- could insert wisest here) customers. They need to take away the plum for booking last minute, and give it to the customer who pays and plans in advance (I would think) I thiiiiink then, this would actually make all the consumers happy, or most, because I would think that last minute bookers on a whole dont really want to book last minute. I think they do it because they cant stand the thought of being ripped off, so they adjust the way the plan vacations in order to get the best deal.

And for those last minute bookers who do like to book last minute, and dont want to plan, and like a good deal. Well then have the fire sale at say the 30 day mark. Make it a standard process, on x number of days before every cruise, put a sale on, and let the public know, it aint getting any cheaper then this. Thats it. Done. Now, the last minute booker can immediately see the deal that is offered, and if they want on that cruise, wouldnt they book asap so they could get the best cabin offered on the ship? If they know they cant get it any cheaper, wouldnt it cause them to jump on the price? Instead of playing the old russian roulette of waiting as loooong as they can, just in case something better comes along?

I think its really a matter of the sales team asking themselves the right questions, and knowing what is the actual outcome/end result they want for their customers when booking, and what will give them the best revenue with the happiest customers. Just because cruises have always been sold this way does not mean its the BEST way to sell cruises. Just like Disney did it with front loading their ticket structure, and the way royal built its new ships - dont use the past as the starting point - invent the whole new future.

Marketing is a whole other issue too, as noted by a few previous posters, but I wont start in on that - other to say it fanscinates me that a huge company with such an excellent product now has some of the worst marketing out there. All other areas of the Royal team are exceeding brilliantly, what the heck is up with sales and marketing??

Hopefully I did not make too many CC;s fall asleep in their coffee this morning:p

I would love to sail with you sometime and just have drinks and do a think tank:D....great ideas.

One of Royal's reps last week told me they test marketed trying out what Carnival does with their early booking fare and said it was a disaster. I can't quite remember what the 2 states they told me they test marketed but said it scored very poor in customer satisfaction. I also told them about what a challenge it is that a client see's a lower fare on a special after they booked a year out and can't even upgrade to it....even if was a couple hundred over what they paid for say their standard balcony but they wanted the special they saw on a JS and want to pay more for it but can't....HELLO....you are actually turning about revenue...what's wrong with this picture.....UUUUrrrgghhhh.........thats just crazy IMO.....that was meet with a brick wall saying..."thats the way it is and it's not going to change"......I thought that was a poor disappointing response at best.

I think the CL's have really backed them themselves into a corner with all their last minute deals....I posted just about this a couple weeks ago. My e-mail and mailbox are filled daily with last minute specials....all saying how i could cruise for $59/day or take a 4 night sailing for $199....well this sets price in a persons mind. Now I go ahead and give someone a price for what a "normal" non-last minute sailing costs and I hear silence....it's like crickets on the other end of the phone....and when I say "what do you think about that"....I hear....maybe I will just wait till i get another flier with one of those $149-199 specials.....so the CL's are doing themselves an injustice....they are training the minds of people to book last minute.....and setting value....and I must give them credit....they have managed to do this quite well:rolleyes:

You are absolutely correct....the entire marketing dept needs a total revamp.... because right now it's a broken system that has trained shoppers to search and look for the best last minute deals....no loyalty...and it's no wonder why when you yourself either gets burnt or you just keep reading about others getting burnt .....it's a broken system for sure.

I would love to sail with you sometime and just have drinks and do a think tank:D....great ideas.

One of Royal's reps last week told me they test marketed trying out what Carnival does with their early booking fare and said it was a disaster. I can't quite remember what the 2 states they told me they test marketed but said it scored very poor in customer satisfaction. I also told them about what a challenge it is that a client see's a lower fare on a special after they booked a year out and can't even upgrade to it....even if was a couple hundred over what they paid for say their standard balcony but they wanted the special they saw on a JS and want to pay more for it but can't....HELLO....you are actually turning about revenue...what's wrong with this picture.....UUUUrrrgghhhh.........thats just crazy IMO.....that was meet with a brick wall saying..."thats the way it is and it's not going to change"......I thought that was a poor disappointing response at best.

I think the CL's have really backed them themselves into a corner with all their last minute deals....I posted just about this a couple weeks ago. My e-mail and mailbox are filled daily with last minute specials....all saying how i could cruise for $59/day or take a 4 night sailing for $199....well this sets price in a persons mind. Now I go ahead and give someone a price for what a "normal" non-last minute sailing costs and I hear silence....it's like crickets on the other end of the phone....and when I say "what do you think about that"....I hear....maybe I will just wait till i get another flier with one of those $149-199 specials.....so the CL's are doing themselves an injustice....they are training the minds of people to book last minute.....and setting value....and I must give them credit....they have managed to do this quite well:rolleyes:

You are absolutely correct....the entire marketing dept needs a total revamp.... because right now it's a broken system that has trained shoppers to search and look for the best last minute deals....no loyalty...and it's no wonder why when you yourself either gets burnt or you just keep reading about others getting burnt .....it's a broken system for sure.

Hey Bajathree, I would love to have a think tank session with you on a cruise!:D

I cant help but to respond to what your Rep told you (btw- totally agree with your comments.)

I highlighted two of the reps comments and would just like to say, I know longer wonder if they have bad sales and marketing execs -we know beyond a shadow of a doubt they do. If I was the owner of royal, I would have the joker that promotes this attitude of 'thats the way it is, and it aint going to change' on the longest, slowest boat to china, with two footprints on his backside as he walked out the door.

The other comment is just as shocking - we tried what carnival did, and it didnt work, (and implied- so we give up). Holy cow, really?? First off by copying something Carnival does has no value to royal- they are a different product and have assets that Carnival does not have-- and even disregarding this point - why copy something that Carnival does that is only moderately successful, if successful at all? (I have no idea on booking policies of carnival, or its relative success, but if it addressed the problem in the booking policies of the cruise industry, then I would imagine it would be WILDLY successful, and everyone would know about it)

How is it that The hiring execs of royal can find the best of the best for their operations and planning divisions, and allow such a masacre on the sales and marketing division?

The sales exec I would hire would be the one who could say - "here are the inherant (sorry, spelling) problems with the way we sell our bookings - here are our goals, now how to we get from A to B?" Not, sorry boss, I tried something that someone else uses with some? moderate? great? success, and it did not work. Guess we just keep everything the same.:eek: Guess there is no other idea/plan that can change our industry. Pass the ketchup please.

What are they thinking? Especially because in this day and age,, with computers and programs and website designers, that new models for sales can be tested without any danger or risk to the company. Simply develop the concept - have the bean counters look at it from every angle to make sure there are no holes, and then test the sucker with staff on phantom website where no one (meaning competition) can see what they are up to. And if smart staff and cruise reps, and cruise sales people find no problems, then hand it over to some known cruisers who have every angle down, and let them play with it to see if any holes have been missed! Refine, and then launch it, much like the Oasis- with suitable marketing and fanfair.

Jumping off the soapbox now!

Crap- jumping back on briefly!

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars (maybe even millions) has Royal spent trying to create the most efficient ships so they can turn a decent profit. This is admirable, it really is, but how about putting some of that money to SELLING the cruises in the most efficient manner? I am sure if Royal put in 1/100th of the money into marketing and sales, and clean up the bizzare traditional practice of cruise sales, profits would sky rocket!

Bring on the Bean Counters Royal! Get rid of your 'Why bother' execs! And in your own mortal words, Why not?:p

Crap- jumping back on briefly!

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars (maybe even millions) has Royal spent trying to create the most efficient ships so they can turn a decent profit. This is admirable, it really is, but how about putting some of that money to SELLING the cruises in the most efficient manner? I am sure if Royal put in 1/100th of the money into marketing and sales, and clean up the bizzare traditional practice of cruise sales, profits would sky rocket!

Bring on the Bean Counters Royal! Get rid of your 'Why bother' execs! And in your own mortal words, Why not?:p

LOLOL.....you are too funny:p

Yes....Royal has one of the best products out there...I will stand by that and will pump them on that all day long:)....you are absolutely correct...they need to reinvent the marketing end just like they reinvented the cruise industry with Oasis/Allure.....not only would they have a home-run.....they would have a GRAND-SLAM and own the field;) Please start with a new add campaign first off......GET OUT THERE....was absolutely brilliant... EVERYONE knew them by the jingle and adds....they branded themselves with that campaign........even if you weren't looking at the TV you knew who it was.... you would walk around singing it....thats brilliant advertising!!! The Nation Of Why Not:rolleyes:....thats a bad drug trip from the 70's...bite the bullet the campaign is a disaster and move on.

Perhaps its because I am not a frequent cruiser, that is surprises me when I look online at the RCL website and see the type of availability for cruises that are within a couple of months of sailing. Some of the best cabin types (ie balcony and suites) are just sitting there empty, while all the inside and outside staterooms are filled. Why is that?

In my experience, as someone who usually sales at peak times, the balconies and suites are often priced at very high rates initially. People book the lower categories to secure their place at a reasonable cost.

The insides often sell out quickly on 5 night Bermudas, which always come out with ridiculous prices. They often have a lot of sales after final.

On the 12 night Med cruises, I notice that D1s often sell out first (along with the cheaper insides). I think that people really want the ocean view on this cruise but the suites are priced so ridiculously, it simply isn't an option. I know that if I wait for a price drop on a D1 Brilliance Med, I likely won't see it. So there, it pays to book early for that particular category. I would probably book a suite for that cruise if the price of a GS wasn't double the price of a D1.

I'm sure they are using some kind of sophisticated pricing algorithm but if people aren't buying the cabins across the board, I don't think it has been successful.

LOLOL.....you are too funny:p

Yes....Royal has one of the best products out there...I will stand by that and will pump them on that all day long:)....you are absolutely correct...they need to reinvent the marketing end just like they reinvented the cruise industry with Oasis/Allure.....not only would they have a home-run.....they would have a GRAND-SLAM and own the field;) Please start with a new add campaign first off......GET OUT THERE....was absolutely brilliant... EVERYONE knew them by the jingle and adds....they branded themselves with that campaign........even if you weren't looking at the TV you knew who it was.... you would walk around singing it....thats brilliant advertising!!! The Nation Of Why Not:rolleyes:....thats a bad drug trip from the 70's...bite the bullet the campaign is a disaster and move on.

The first thing that they need to do is rid themselves of Vicki Freed. Since she has arrived from Carnivore, things have been even more screwed up.

The first thing that they need to do is rid themselves of Vicki Freed. Since she has arrived from Carnivore, things have been even more screwed up.

Anyone know what happened that she jumped ship after being with C for 29yrs:confused:....thats pretty major.

In my experience, as someone who usually sales at peak times, the balconies and suites are often priced at very high rates initially. People book the lower categories to secure their place at a reasonable cost.

The insides often sell out quickly on 5 night Bermudas, which always come out with ridiculous prices. They often have a lot of sales after final.

On the 12 night Med cruises, I notice that D1s often sell out first (along with the cheaper insides). I think that people really want the ocean view on this cruise but the suites are priced so ridiculously, it simply isn't an option. I know that if I wait for a price drop on a D1 Brilliance Med, I likely won't see it. So there, it pays to book early for that particular category. I would probably book a suite for that cruise if the price of a GS wasn't double the price of a D1.

I'm sure they are using some kind of sophisticated pricing algorithm but if people aren't buying the cabins across the board, I don't think it has been successful.

Thats interesting- I have been pricing out ships going during March break, a high demand time. Thank you for your insight! (MHO - royal bean counters need to talk to royal customers like you so they could do their job better!)

Interesting too about the med cruises. So, a couple of months before the sale dates, are a lot of suites on sale, and maybe outside cabins with no balcony? the reason I ask is because if this is the case, perhaps Royal should consider a different method to sell this ship on the med cruise.

Why not, (stupid advertising pun intended) after all the D1's sell out, offer those who booked earliest (with the early booking promise) a chance to upgrade to suites for a reasonable amount of money say 8 months out - or maybe a portion - 25% of the unsold suites. Not a small amount $ that everyone would absolutely grab it if offered, but a reasonable sane person amount that would make most consider it? So royal is getting a decent buck for their suites.

Some would move up to suites, leaving more D1's available at 8 months out. Would those D1's fill quickly with new bookings (or encourage people who have booked a lesser value cabin to move up?) I think they probably would. At 6 months out, do the same offer again, and fill up more Suites, and leave more D1's open at a still reasonable time frame for booking. I would employ the same tactics to get the people who booked early on the inside cabins to more to the outside cabins with no balcony. I wonder if this strategy would work? The hopefull end result - happy customers in better rooms, and a fuller ship, and deposits down much earlier.

Bajathree - from your comments, I guess I have come late to the party to flog the dead horse. :p Obviously the archaic state of booking system is well known, but it felt good to rant! Thanks for listening!!:)

Edited to add: or, royal could just price suites within reason on med cruises - that might work also :p

Thats interesting- I have been pricing out ships going during March break, a high demand time. Thank you for your insight! (MHO - royal bean counters need to talk to royal customers like you so they could do their job better!)

Interesting too about the med cruises. So, a couple of months before the sale dates, are a lot of suites on sale, and maybe outside cabins with no balcony? the reason I ask is because if this is the case, perhaps Royal should consider a different method to sell this ship on the med cruise.

Why not, (stupid advertising pun intended) after all the D1's sell out, offer those who booked earliest (with the early booking promise) a chance to upgrade to suites for a reasonable amount of money say 8 months out - or maybe a portion - 25% of the unsold suites. Not a small amount $ that everyone would absolutely grab it if offered, but a reasonable sane person amount that would make most consider it? So royal is getting a decent buck for their suites.

Some would move up to suites, leaving more D1's available at 8 months out. Would those D1's fill quickly with new bookings (or encourage people who have booked a lesser value cabin to move up?) I think they probably would. At 6 months out, do the same offer again, and fill up more Suites, and leave more D1's open at a still reasonable time frame for booking. I would employ the same tactics to get the people who booked early on the inside cabins to more to the outside cabins with no balcony. I wonder if this strategy would work? The hopefull end result - happy customers in better rooms, and a fuller ship, and deposits down much earlier.

Bajathree - from your comments, I guess I have come late to the party to flog the dead horse. :p Obviously the archaic state of booking system is well known, but it felt good to rant! Thanks for listening!!:)

Edited to add: or, royal could just price suites within reason on med cruises - that might work also :p

Your comments/suggestions offered fresh new insight:).....don't be a stranger;)

Hmm, interesting to note the current thread "How much did it cost to cruise in 1995", pretty much proves (in my mind anyway) this whole debate.

Cruise lines did it to themselves, by the way they sell their cruises. No one objects for paying a higher price for a better product, but they do object to paying a higher price for the exact same product then somebody else does.

Has anyone ever booke a royal cruise and thought - Dang! I was ripped off. If I paid 129 (or insert any dollar amount) less for this cruise, I could have been perfectly happy. Same customer sees their cabin for 129 less on a sale, and cant get the sale price, all of a sudden is a lot less happier. What is the lesson they learned? dont book early, a better price is coming.

As Bajathree said before, the cruiseline industry has conditioned the consumer to find and pay only for deeply discounted cruises, and over the years, this has deteriorated the profit margine for all cruiselines. Instead of fixing the way you sell the cruise, the cruiselines have looked at other ways to turn a profit. However, perhaps they should consider the 'sticking your fingers in the hole of the dam method' as seriously not working, wouldnt it be easier to fix the dam?:confused:

Considering the cost Royal has gone to creating these mega ships, and the cost they are putting into building docks where these mega ships can use as a port, well, I would think it would be way more cost effective to change the sales department.

Why I care so much about this, I dont know! Perhaps its because I put the money down on my allure cruise and I am worried about getting burned!:eek:

Archived