2 way radios on board

lovey

We had two sets in our group, one was Motorola and ours was Sports by GPX. Both served the purpose of allowing us to stay in contact. For instance, in Cozumel, my DH went Scuba and I did the Dolphin Discovery. Once I was back in port, I was able to communicate with my DH who was already back in our stateroom so rather than shop, I went directly back to the ship to shower and head back out with him.

One drawback is that, even with channels, you do pick up others - but no big deal, if it's not your "Party" then just ignore it.

I wouldn't spend alot, try Costco or Sam's club or Walmart first - and by the way, ours had only two channels and we were able to set ours up with the motorola's so everyone could stay in touch. We did not use them on board ship though.

Hope this helps. Maureen

Remember when it says 5 miles that it means 5 miles of clear area. Going betwen steel/metal etc etc of a cruise ship deeply restricts the radios, to being fuzzy within a few decks.

They are great for on the islands tho! WE do use them on the ship as well, and they work OK. Remember you get what you pay for, I would also reccomend the motorolas

Please rememebr to turn them off during shows or meals tho!

I use the five mile Motorola models. They are very satisfactory. They work very well even with all the steel decking. The ships have an antenna system that allows the crew cell phones to work and the radios must be 'tapping' into that antenna.

Good luck...

Used them last time and loved it!! Get the ones that have the sub channels. We had two of each in our party of four, and the two that had the sub channels worked much better. Ours have a 6 mile radius so we can use them to meet up with each other if we go on separate excursions.

The only problem was, they didn't work as well deep insie the ship. Too much metal I guess, but still worth having.

Also, code names helped a lot too. It was funny to hear how many people answered the basic call of "Mom!!" :p

Used them last time and loved it!! Get the ones that have the sub channels. We had two of each in our party of four, and the two that had the sub channels worked much better. Ours have a 6 mile radius so we can use them to meet up with each other if we go on separate excursions.

The only problem was, they didn't work as well deep insie the ship. Too much metal I guess, but still worth having.

Also, code names helped a lot too. It was funny to hear how many people answered the basic call of "Mom!!" :p

Common coversation I often hear when these annoying devices are used:

MOM! ...Bzzz Crackle ,,...bzzz.. MOM! are you there?? MOM! can YOU HEAR ME ????? bzzz fzz ... crackle.. :mad:

Just returned from Voyager cruise. Lots of radios everywhere and like Folgy, we heard mostly "can you hear me" and endless crackles. Our afternoon lying on the beach in Labadee was spent next to a family of six. The two youngest children delighted in lying on their beach chairs next to each other, with the little ones "talking" endlessly over their walkie talkies to each other. Each time the little darlings talked into their walkie talkies, we would hear a "musical" note, then crackle, crackle - followed by, can you hear me? Grrrrrr!

Common coversation I often hear when these annoying devices are used:

MOM! ...Bzzz Crackle ,,...bzzz.. MOM! are you there?? MOM! can YOU HEAR ME ????? bzzz fzz ... crackle.. :mad:

I agree, they could be very annoying. We only carried ours when we needed them. Mostly a few hours in the afternoon if we were going separate ways and to find each other if we were going on separate excurtions. We don't have kids so we didn't use them as much as people who do would.

I guess if I were a parent, it would be important to keep in touch with my children, but the kids on them did get old.:o

We would also NEVER think of using them in the Dinning Room or in the Theater or anything like that. There should be some kind of curtisy there.

On our last cruise mostly children and some very rude adults were using these radio walkie talkies. In the dining room, on deck, in the halls, absolutely everywhere was chatter. You couldn't get away from them and frankly I was quite tired of them. I actually wish they were banned on-board and that parents found better 'toy's for their children if they can't learn to be courteous. They can be a very effective communication tool or a public nuisance in the hands of a child. IMHO

i don't intend to use the radios as an all the time thing - believe me, i go skiing and its so annoying to hear everyone talking on their radios about what they're having for lunch - i want to have them for peace of mind on the cruise so thats why i want to know the reliability of them and how audivox is in particular.

As someone without children, I will say that I find walkie talkies to be quite annoying. I should not have to be subjected to the noise and chatter that ensue when these are used, especially without the proper supervision. It seems excessive to me.

IMHO, the use of these devices is becomming far too commonplace. I think they should be banned.

i don't intend to use the radios as an all the time thing - believe me, i go skiing and its so annoying to hear everyone talking on their radios about what they're having for lunch - i want to have them for peace of mind on the cruise so thats why i want to know the reliability of them and how audivox is in particular.

We used the Motorola ones. Don't know if that helps or not. I would suggest one with a strong signal and not the cheapest ones. There is a lot of metal in the ship. If you go to a store like Circut City or something, the Sales Person should be able to direct you to the most effective one. They were very helpful to me.:)

Oh yeah last time in my party of 40, we all had walkie talkies and we used them endlessly!!! They are of so MUCH help... My nephews even used them in the dining room... since they were sitting so far apart eachother..

They are necessary tool if you want to communicate on board the ship..

Like when my cousins and I were in the spa we would constantly be checking on the littles ones over at the ocean adventure.. and the other ladies in the room lying down by the sun and stuff didn't even notice the noise...

zzzzzzzz just woke up from a bad dream lol lol

No, I don't use walkie talkies.. I mean come on you are on a SHIP... it is merely impossible for your loved ones to go beyond the ship unless they jump the plank lol

Yes, I agree, walkie talkies with sub channels are the best. If you do not get one with sub channels you will certainly hear everyone and it will drive you crazy.

Also you can get at least Motorola one with a silent vibration instead of the chirp which is much more pleasing to those around you.

I am sure it gets annoying to those around you without children. I got irritated too with people clearly using the walkie talkies for pleasure, not purpose.

IMHO-all it takes is some education on the adults part to tell the kids only use in moderation, not just to be funny or for pleasure. And little kids should not have them-they do "play" with them more. At about age 12 they can understand being responsible.

We did use ours mostly just to touchbase or if we were off ship and just incase we got separtated. They are expecially helpful on the voyager class ships, they are so huge!

Go ahead and buy then and use them but please teach your children to be responsible with their use.

I have the Cobra 5 miles one with the sub channels. On the last cruise we used them with my 17 year old son. They worked really well - even ship to shore. I will be bringing them on my next cruise in March. I (39) will be cruising with my mother (62) and will be bringing them because I do not plan to be attached to the hip to her. I cut those apron strings long ago (LOL), but if she need me or anything I am just a call away as she will be unable to walk the possible 14 decks to find me.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone. trust me, i HATE people using these things in shows and at dinner. however, fyi, there are many more things that happen on a cruise that are a lot more annoying than walkie talkies. what about lounge chair hogging. people showing up on formal night wearing sloppy clothes. people, including adults, not just teenagers, pressing every single button in the elevator as a joke right before you enter. actually had a girl and guy admit this to me once - no kidding.

those of you upset about the walkie talkies won't want to get on the freedom cruise as cell phone access will be available.

just a little something to think about....

Archived