Just back from a week on Grand Cayman

JaKetravels

Hi all, here is what we found on the island this past week:

very friendly people, many still wanting to share stories of the horros of Ivan

Unbelievable damage from Ivan, it was true what someone posted earlier, it was like the Northeast as far as a lack of "green" around the island

The good news is you find yourself overlooking the devastation when you look out onto the waters, especially at Rum Point

If you only venture to Georgetown from your ship you pretty much can avoid seeing the real damage from Ivan, the towns that got the most damge was the eastern end, especially Boddentown. One in 5 homes still has no power or water and many are not going to be rebuilt due to I believe erosion concerns.

Many restaurants have not reopened yet, especially hard hit were oceanfront places as you can imagine. We ate one night at the Old Grand House, very nice, expensive but well worth it. The Wharf we felt was a bit of a tourist trap. It was a pretty view though to see the cruise ships off the outdoor bar, I would only reccomend this place for just that, a drink or 2 at the bar. Ragizzi's in town was very good Italian food and pizza's. A bit dressier than we thought it would be and this was the only place we ran into snobby waitstaff. The food was worth it though and there isn't really many choices with so many places closed for now. Another fun thing to do if you are staying on the island is to go to the Bare Foot Man show at the Reef Resort. Really great voice, original caribbean songs and the dinner was very good. Avoid their red wine though, it was terrible and after trying 3 varieties I gave up.

Sting Ray City was fun, very crowded from the cruise ships but we lucked out and pulled in as many of the groups were leaving. I think it is a must see thing to do but my opinion is to do it off of Rum Point beach so you can spend all the time you have there. I guess you have to rent a car from what I am hearing here but if you can find a couple to share it I think it is worth it. Georgetown is nice but if you have been shopping in other ports and want a beach scene Rum Point is not to be missed. One piece of advice as for driving on Cayman Island is to of course stay to the left and also be aware, the locals drive very fast and do not use blinkers as a habit. That's all for now but feel free to ask questions!

Well, hook me up. We're looking for good shore based snorkelling close to where the cruise ships passengers tender in to. Heard Eden Rock/Devils Grotto is close and very good snorkelling. Also looking for a good spot on 7-mile beach for some relaxation. Doesn't hafta be fancy. Just maybe a place that rents chairs and sells drinks.

Our favorite spot to snorkle was cemetary reef. It is past 7 mile beach and not posted so you have to know where to look for it. I guess you could take a cab there as I realize you won't have a car. It is actually directly behind an Esso gas station that was destroyed by Ivan. We parked behind it and there is a short metal wall you have to climb over. The Esso station is on the right side of the road but if you ask any locals they should know where cemetary reef is. The beauty of this reef is that you only walk 2 feet into the water and you willl see multitudes of fish, all colors shapes and sizes. You just hug the shoreline following the reef and you will see hundreds of fish. We saw baracuda there too but they were harmless. Eden rock is also good for snorkeling can be very crowded as most head for it from the ships. Our husbands did both location and the only difference was that at Eden Rock you would see bigger fish and you could hose off afterwards. It also costs $7 if you need snorkle gear. The only other spot we snorkeled was part of a excursion we took out of Rum Point that was offered by Red Sails, it was a sting ray/snorkle 2 hour tour that at the time we were there was $30 each American.

JaKetravels, were you in Georgetown on a Sunday? If so, do you remember if any stores were open near the tender dock?

The live agent on Cayman excursions mentioned that most all stores are closed on Sundays. I can't imagine with a ship in port that all stores would be closed.

sorry, none of us are golfers but I can tell you the Hyatt was not open last week due to repairs. I heard they are not too far away from completion though. I would check ahead for courses as I did not see one located on 7 mile beach by the Hyatt but there was more of the Hyatt across the street so perhaps the course was there? I'd be surprised if any course would be up and running to ne honest but you never know!

Hi! The water was fine, I would be guessing at the temps but I would compare it to summer temps of our beaches in the Northeast. It was very comfortable, no wetsuits needed for sure. The only thing I can add is Eden Rock waters are a bit choppier for snorkeling but they still said the fish were great. Big Tarpon swam around there as they are used to being fed as Eden Rock is basically off a snack bar. But there were many other fish too, it can get crowded there, my guess if you're going to snorkle there i would do it as early as possible in the day.

JaKetravels, were you in Georgetown on a Sunday? If so, do you remember if any stores were open near the tender dock?

The live agent on Cayman excursions mentioned that most all stores are closed on Sundays. I can't imagine with a ship in port that all stores would be closed.

If there are cruiseships in on Sunday, some of the duty free shops will open for as long as ships are in port. Restaurants are open but most other businesses will be closed.

Attached Are some pics from Grand Cayman.

Beach shots are from the beach at Marriott Courtyard

Back in Jan. water was 82 degrees -

A little chilly w/o wetsuit.

Good snorkeling off beach from Marriott CY.

Beach at Marriott Courtyard IMG_0999.JPG

Beach at Marriott Courtyard IMG_1115.JPG

Snorkeling Pic IMG_1122.JPG

SCUBA Pic IMG_2046.JPG

SCUBA Pic IMG_2050.JPG

I would say it is not within walking distance. You could take a cab from one of the hotels is my guess. It was not crowded, the 4 of us were the only ones there both days we snorkeled! It was very safe, you snorkel in literally 3-6 ft. of waiter tops. I would just not leave valuables on the beach if you are all in the water but you do that no matter what beach you go to.

I used a Canon SD100 digital camera with a Canon WP-DC10 underwater housing. The only picture that is snorkeling is the sea urchins. The swim

to that is less that 100 feet from shore. The other pics are from SCUBA dives off of a boat - about 3/4 mile off shore.

Since y'all liked that one so much - here is a spotted eel

IMG_1181.JPG

- Mat (wmw)

we will be traveling to cayman shortly. How far is Rum point beach from where the cruise boats dock and how does it compare to the beaches on 7 mile beach?

Is the Westin Hotel open since after the hurricane and is this a nice place to spend a day?

thank

Cindy

I read post after post and wonder why so many people look past the place where I find the easiest and best snorkelling on the Caymans. I have done Eden Rock ( tough access and rougher water). wreck of the Cali ( tough access and too deep, not very fishy. Then theres Cemetary Beach ( easy enough to get to, easy access, ok snorkelling. I have done Rum point, which I did not find very special ... Of course the better snorkeling would be out on an excursion and the Sting Rays are a must but my all time favorite is Smith Cove. A search would pull up nice pics and info about it but I can tell you the pros and cons (as I see them) The location is about 2 0r 3 miles south of the port, not something you would want to hike. You will need a taxi there and ask for a pick up time from the driver. (worked for us) The access is on a beautiful quaint beach front and there is a small beach area, picnic area. Ive never seen it crowded (last year we were the only ones there with 3 ships in port.....lol except for the wedding party that stopped by to take photos. The fish, coral is right there, an easy swim for children and the older of us. It was the best snorkel in the Caymans. I believe there was a bathroom box, but cant guarantee that. Check it out (if you bring your own gear). if you have any questions...... ill be around.....lol

Rick

Archived